What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Macbeth (Welles) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Olive's other Signature release for November is major to those who pray at the temple of Orson Welles.

A Shakespearean western (sort of) version of the Bard's Macbeth.

Originally released in 1948 through Republic, and produced on a budge slightly above zero, it remains of interest. It was beautifully shot, in black & white, by John L. Russell, who was second camera operator on The Stranger, and later DP for Hitchcock on Psycho.

The problem with the 1948 version, which runs 107 minutes, is that the accents make it virtually impossible to understand the dialogue. This is helped by Olive's sub-titles, but those titles also service the needs of those who are hard of hearing, and thus, have all of the stage directions for audio. Not a deal killer, but would have been nicer to have a separate sub-title band.

The 1950 re-issue has no such problem with audio, and is actually an interesting variant, with voice-over by Welles, and shortened by 22 minutes.

Fortunately, Olive has given us both versions of the film, making this an important release, inclusive of a myriad of extras.

While those living on the likes of Transformers and Independence Day probably need not apply, for the rest of us, this is an important, quality release.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The only memory I have of it dates to about 1962 in high school, when our teacher showed it in my sophomore English class, where it was greeted with hilarity by much of the class. Definitely the wrong audience for the film.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
With Chimes at Midnight & The Immortal Story this has been a great year for fans of Orson like me to see his great films released on Blu-ray. A easy buy for me and thanks to Olive for releasing this and i hope we can see The Magnificent Ambersons soon.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Aside from the 1950 version and the addition of subtitles, is the 1948 version in this Signature Edition of the original version essentially the same as the previous Olive release? As I recall the previous version looked pretty good, but needed some digital cleanup.

I far prefer the original version with the Scottish accents. The only thing I really like about the later version is the narration at the beginning. I wish there was a version of the original with the narration melded onto it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What is the running time for the 1948 version?
BTW, that was a beautiful move for Olive to include both films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What is the running time for the 1948 version?
BTW, that was a beautiful move for Olive to include both films.

Olive is going the class act route with their signature series

Reactions: PMF

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I caught this on TCM and found it to be a fascinating adaptation of Shakespeare. Welles really could get the most out of nothing. I'm glad I held out for this edition since I'm curious about the two cuts.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I caught this on TCM and found it to be a fascinating adaptation of Shakespeare. Welles really could get the most out of nothing. I'm glad I held out for this edition since I'm curious about the two cuts.

Actually not simply two cuts, but rather, two very different versions of a concept. Very worthwhile.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got Johnny Guitar and High Noon for $16.99. Why should Macbeth be any different? I'm waiting.
How you spend your monies is your business, but I didn't want to wait so the discs with both versions of the film is priced just right for me.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, guys. The two discs does justify the slightly higher price tag. I'm sold.
I wouldn't be surprise if Amazon drops the pricing of this release down to $17.99 or lower. I'm just expressing why I bought this title for $19.99.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Ordered! Also picked up Universal's Touch of Evil, as well, since Amazon had it for $12.

Looks like the rest of the Olive Signature titles are reduced to $19.99, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks