What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ M3GAN – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As everyone knows, M3GAN stands for Model 3 Generative ANdroid. And unlike earlier films based upon the concept of a ventriloquist's dummy come to life, or a murderous doll of some sort, M3GAN is a different breed altogether.

The film was produced by Jason Blum and James Wan, which should give you a hint as to where things are going.

And she (forgive me for humanizing it/her) becomes the centerpiece of an immensely fun and entertaining sci-fi/horror/comedy of sorts.

The storyline, and I generally don't get into them, is rather simple in this case. A nine year-old girl (Violet McGraw) ends up in being parented by an aunt, played by Allison Williams, whose character is far more into her work (inventing toys) than her new found motherhood. M3GAN is brought in to help, and things begin to go awry when M3GAN's learning and AI abilities expand and she takes an overly protective role in her charge.

What's interesting here is that director Gerard Johnstone has used both animatronics and puppets as well as a young actress, Amie Donald (who should really be recognized here for her work) in the creation of M3GAN.

While I'm not certain precisely how the two versions offered on Universal's Blu-ray break down, there were re-shoots to tone down violence in order to achieve a PG-13 rating, some one might presume that the unrated version, which I viewed is pre-reshoots.

I'm not generally a fan of Chucky-ish films, so the fact that I enjoyed M3GAN should tell you something about it's quality.

The film was shot digitally and finished in 4k, so the resultant down-rezzed Blu-ray should be gorgeous, and it is. Audio in DTS-HD MA 7.1 is works beautifully.

For slipcover collectors, there may be something here, especially if later printings drop the very elegant blind embossing on the cover of this first edition.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I liked this one quite a bit. The Verhoeven-esque opening commercial sets the tone really well and I found myself cracking-up in the theater often, even as I was predicting every single plot beat before it happened. This movie is definitely not reinventing the wheel, but it's putting it in a pretty entertaining package. It struck me as being a lot like the Child's Play remake, but with a stronger (for me) emotional through-line. Can't speak to the unrated version since I haven't seen it, but the PG-13 still manages to have a mean streak, despite the obvious loss of gore and violence.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've been touting this film for months now. Like Orphan, it's completely entertaining and really well done, not overtly violent, no "boo" scares. For those who are unaware of Orphan I would put it on your must-see list and I would also recommend its prequel, Orphan: First Kill. Not quite as good as the first, but really good nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks