What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jason Bourne -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The fifth installment in Universal's Bourne Saga is simply entitled Jason Bourne, and it continues to be the tale of a gentleman severely cranky with the head of the CIA.

And by all the motivations shared with us, also a pretty good reason to take down an out of control government official.

If you can't join 'em, or get along with 'em...

kill 'em.

Sounds like international politics on a daily level.

Mr. Damon first appeared as Bourne 14 years ago, with The Bourne Identity, and then followed in 2004 with The Bourne Supremacy. In 2007 we received The Bourne Ultimatum, and now Jason B.

For whatever reason, Jeremy Renner took the lead in the expansion title The Bourne Legacy in 2012, with a cast of different players.

Universal is offering the five films concurrently on 4k UHD, all arriving on December 6, is making them available either singly or as a consummate, way better than good, Ultimate Collection of all five films. The Collection, as well as a SteelBook of the newest addition, will initially be Best Buy exclusives, something that apparently makes monetary sense for the studio.

There's a consistency here, as while the first film was directed by Doug Limon, all that followed were helmed by Paul Greengrass.

From a tech perspective, things are a bit more complex.

Identity was shot on film (S35). Supremacy and Ultimatum were also shot on S35, but taken through to a final DI at 2k. Legacy was also shot S35, with a 2k DI.

The latest was shot on 35mm S35/3, 16mm and digital (Arri (2.8k), Canon (4k), with some data up-rezzed, the final DI went through post at 4k resolution.

While I've not yet screened the first three films -- hopefully, I'll be reporting on those next week -- the latest installment both looks and sounds extraordinary bumped up to 4k mit HDR.

With all tech systems now speaking to one another nicely, color levels, blacks and the entire gray scale are a treat on a large screen.

Audio, which was Dolby Atmos theatrically, along with other options, is DTS:X on the new 4k disc, and the DTS functions nicely, for a huge audio presentation. While I can't be certain (no direct comparison), I'm still of the opinion that Dolby's Atmos yields a more specific soundstage. But X is no slouch.

As an entertainment, the 124 minute film is a non-stop, high-speed thriller, leaving few parts of the known world unscathed.

A final vehicular chase through Vegas will become a classic. Where does the real end in the sequence, and digital take over? Not a clue, as it's totally transparent.

There's a nice continuity to the cast, as Matt Damon returns as Bourne, along with Julia Stiles, and Alicia Vikander, one of today's hottest new talents, joining in the fray.

When one has a continuity of cast over a fifteen year period, one of the odd things as a viewer, is literally watching the talent age -- not to any great extent, but just an obvious observation.

When we first met Julia Stiles' Nicky Parsons in 2002, the actress was a veritable baby at 21. Matt Damon started at 32.

Jason Bourne, is a huge, fast-paced, extremely loud (potentially lease breaking, speaker cleaning) political thriller, that's worth the two hours of your time, more-so in 4k than in any other tech flavors, If you've not yet upgraded to 4k, I suggest future proofing.

It's a great ride.

For those who follow packaging, Universal's for 4k remains unique, and in my humble opinion, the nicest in the industry.

Image - 5 (from a true 4k source)

Audio - 5 (DTS-X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'll be buying this release even if I don't have a 4K display or Dolby Atmos. I suspect I'll remedy those two situations either next year at this time or sometime in 2018.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The DCP version in the cinema was only Dolby 7.1 thats why this had a DTS-X remix.

Last edited:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Hi Richard, was wondering if it would be ever possible to separate your "A few words about..." articles on 4k vs. standard Blu-ray? It would make finding your reviews a lot easier for those of us ONLY interested in 4k.
Managed to grab a Samsung UBD-K8500 player here in Ireland during Black Friday for approx $170 which came with a free copy of 'The Revenant'- wow can't believe the picture quality! Watched my 2nd disc last night 'The Da Vinci Code' again very impressed. No going back to bluray now...!
Looking forward to reading you reviews of the rest of the Bourne series- such great films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Richard, was wondering if it would be ever possible to separate your "A few words about..." articles on 4k vs. standard Blu-ray? It would make finding your reviews a lot easier for those of us ONLY interested in 4k.
Managed to grab a Samsung UBD-K8500 player here in Ireland during Black Friday for approx $170 which came with a free copy of 'The Revenant'- wow can't believe the picture quality! Watched my 2nd disc last night 'The Da Vinci Code' again very impressed. No going back to bluray now...!
Looking forward to reading you reviews of the rest of the Bourne series- such great films.

They're all accessible via the UHD tab.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is actually installment #5. The Bourne Legacy (Mr. Damon sat that one out) is #4 and has also just been released in 4K Ultra HD.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
How DARE he refer to you as a "Dick".

You should be insulted, Mr. Harrington!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Years ago, probably c. 1989-90, Richard Harris and I were staying at the same hotel in LA.

While our hours were decidedly different, as were those with whom we spent our evenings, there were several days when we were confused for one another.

I normally received calls from the lab between 7-7:30 in the morning, usually informing of what had torn during printing the previous night.

Then, no calls.

Richard would normally arise, sometime after 11, and occasionally his friends would depart.

Seems he arrived back at the hotel around 2 one morning, called the front desk, identifying himself to the night staff (who had never seen me), and told them no calls until after 11. He simply identified himself as Mr. Harris.

And so it went.

Until someone figured it out.

Shortly thereafter, I met him at a Miramax gathering, and told him the story.

His comment...

"You lead far too quiet a life."

And laughed.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Years ago, probably c. 1989-90, Richard Harris and I were staying at the same hotel in LA.

While our hours were decidedly different, as were those with whom we spent our evenings, there were several days when we were confused for one another.

I normally received calls from the lab between 7-7:30 in the morning, usually informing of what had torn during printing the previous night.

Then, no calls.

Richard would normally arise, sometime after 11, and occasionally his friends would depart.

Seems he arrived back at the hotel around 2 one morning, called the front desk, identifying himself to the night staff (who had never seen me), and told them no calls until after 11. He simply identified himself as Mr. Harris.

And so it went.

Until someone figured it out.

Shortly thereafter, I met him at a Miramax gathering, and told him the story.

His comment...

"You lead far too quiet a life."

And laughed.
At least you've never been called "Horse" ;)
item_2369_1.jpg

I hope ...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Robert! I had the standard Blu-ray pre-ordered for $16.99 (a terrific price) but Amazon lowered the price of the 4K version of 'Jason Bourne' to $24.99 and your review caused me to switch. $24.99 is my limit on 4K releases and then only if the source was true 4K, not upscaled 2K. My TV upscales 1080p to 4K just fine.

Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks