What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Elia Kazan's East of Eden, a 1955 release, produced in 1954, is early CinemaScope and WarnerColor, and that could be problematic.

As a format, CinemaScope went from 5 releases in 1953 to 35 in 1954, and then took off. The optics weren't great, and dependent upon how a film was shot, one could have an interesting case of the mumps. Fortunately, DP Ted McCord was able to wrangle the mumps problem, and at least minimize it. East of Eden was his first scope film.

Likewise, Warner Color, which was just Eastman Color processed at Warner's lab was a problem not in and off itself, but rather in the way the negatives were cut and conformed, ie short cut opticals vs long or full cut.

The poster child for the process has always been Giant, with it's fade and dissolves - some hitting a couple of hundred feet in length.

Fortunately, neither technical entity is a problem here, as opticals are of the short cut variety, and are nicely handled in the restoration.

Colors and densities work nicely, with a natural palette. Grain structure appears quite fine. Black levels also look nice, especially with a bit of HDR, which is never overpowering.

The interesting addition here is the use of Dolby Atmos to give the original stereo mix a bit of a boost and enlarge the proscenium.

Does it make full use of 4k? Not really, but there may be a few exterior shots that are above 2. From a nominal seating distance, nothing much is gained, and a quality Blu-ray with compression at a high data throughput would have sufficed.

East of Eden is one of the great films, and I'm pleased that it made the cut in the WB100 line-up. It should be in the library of every serious cinephile. And lest it go unnoticed, it was James Dean's first lead role, getting billing just behind the great Julie Harris.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5.5

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - n/a

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I concur with your recommendation based on watching it twice in 4K/Dolby Vision on HBO Max before Warner-Discovery shut down that streaming service for Max. It's my favorite James Dean movie because I think it's the best of the three. I can't wait to watch it again next month when my 4K/UHD arrives from Amazon.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think 4K benefits 2.55:1 CinemaScope simply because in 2K the vertical resolution (about 753 pixels) is too compromised. That is the equivalent of the vertical resolution of 720p. When you are using only 70% of the real estate in a 2K image, 4K makes up the difference and gives you back what you are losing.

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
East of Eden was one of the great discoveries of my adulthood. Growing up, my local television station played it often in an edited, pan and scan, badly faded pink print. I simply couldn’t understand its great reputation. It seemed a gigantic bore.

When I first saw it in its proper aspect ratio in a beautifully restored print I was floored by it. It’s a gorgeously filmed movie that can only benefit from a good presentation. I am so pleased this release passes the RH test with a great recommendation.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Is the overture from the DVD included (I know it was included with TCM’s broadcast of the new restoration, but I’m asking just to be sure)?

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Ordered. Thanks, was waiting for A Few Words About this one before doing so.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I remember renting the DVD* and enjoying the movie, one of James Dean's better performances, so after reading Mr Harris' comments it's time to purchase the Blu-ray, also from a 4K master, though I'm not sure if it's the same one.
*After renting most of the early Warnercolor DVDs (Giant was awful) I concluded more restoration was needed before purchasing on home video, it appears that day has come.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I remember renting the DVD* and enjoying the movie, one of James Dean's better performances, so after reading Mr Harris' comments it's time to purchase the Blu-ray, also from a 4K master, though I'm not sure if it's the same one.
*After renting most of the early Warnercolor DVDs (Giant was awful) I concluded more restoration was needed before purchasing on home video, it appears that day has come.
The quality of Giant has nothing to do with restoration. The problem is the manner in which the OCN was cut and conformed.

The restorative efforts on Giant are as good as they can be.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The quality of Giant has nothing to do with restoration. The problem is the manner in which the OCN was cut and conformed.

The restorative efforts on Giant are as good as they can be.
Not sure that I understand. Was the OCN damaged in 1956? Incorrect chemical processing? Light exposure?

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Nice review. Was generally impressed with 2005 anamorphic widescreen DVD with a "New Digital Transfer from Restored Picture and Audio Elements "(audio "remastered in 5.1" at that time from the original stereo track).
1689097626830.png

Haven't seen the Blu-ray, so per Harris' careful review, sounds like a reasonable, if underutilized 4K transfer. Still, I'll have to get it.

....Love the film, though I brace for its compounding tragedies (typical of grim John Steinbeck). Money tumbling out of his hand, when Dean collapses against his obstinate father, Massey ... this was one of the most powerful film scenes I've ever seen in my life - a profound and universal response that I've seen in so many of my cousins and male friends' lives with their obstinate fathers, which never played out like it did in this cathartic scene.

Incidentally, one of James Dean's early Hollywood roommates & close friends, scriptwriter William Blast, wrote a book, Surviving James Dean, in 2006 on their friendship, including their interactions via the premier of East of Eden that was fascinating. Though Blast can sometimes be a disappointing snob, still the book is compelling for those interested in Dean.
1689097575644.png

Jimbo.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dimitrios
A couple of years ago I purchased East of Eden on iTunes. I watched it several times but hadn’t watched it for a few months. Yesterday, I went into my iTunes video library to see if it had been upgraded to 4K only to discover that it was gone. It was no longer available.

THAT is why physical media is important. On a whim Apple can’t physically remove a disc from your home library once you own it the way they can on iTunes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A couple of years ago I purchased East of Eden on iTunes. I watched it several times but hadn’t watched it for a few months. Yesterday, I went into my iTunes video library to see if it had been upgraded to 4K only to discover that it was gone. It was no longer available.

THAT is why physical media is important. On a whim Apple can’t physically remove a disc from your home library once you own it the way they can on iTunes.
I heard of a few people that has happened to. However, it's never happened to me, and I have over 3000 digitals on iTunes alone.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

"no longer available"? I assume you mean not in your library, as opposed to no longer available on iTunes.
We should also clarify which (country's) iTunes store. I assure you that if you purchased an HD version on iTunes US, and you call/chat/report a problem, the film will be restored to your library. It will also be upgraded to 4K.

If you happened to purchase an SD version of the film prior to an HD version being available, then it is possible that instead of restoring the film to your library, Apple will refund your purchase price in full. But either way you will be made whole.

As Robert said, there have been reports of films disappearing from iTunes libraries. I don't ever recall a case where the film was not eventually restored or the purchase price refunded.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There is usually a valid explanation for these “my digital copy has been revoked” stories. I would guess it is one of the following: a version no longer available for sale is still there but is difficult to locate, the account has been moved from one country to another, or he is mistaken about the purchase (bought a different title, or bought with a different account). Anyway, like Robert, I’ve made thousands of digital purchases and have never lost a single title.

PS. Oh and I just thought of one more possibility: the purchase accidentally got hidden. Apple has an option allowing you to hide purchases from your library if you no longer want the title. You can go into your account, look under "hidden purchases" and restore it.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I concur (even though I've had my different suspicions about Warner's digitals before). My digital copies of all 3 James Dean titles (bought a couple years ago) are still all there and upgraded to 4K.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks