What's new

John Skoda

Second Unit
Speaking as a musician and composer, I'd say the score is a masterpiece, but I thought that it didn't fit quite right in some scenes..
Really enjoyed seeing this movie again. Script is just right. Casting is perfect. Effects are still amazing.

If you want to see how much the score adds to the movie, watch the trailer. I don't think that's North's music in the trailer, and without that the movie seems really boring. Add to that the fact they don't show much of the dragon because they don't want to give it away.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I probably hadn’t seen Dragonslayer in 40 years, but I sure enjoyed the 4k presentation, which I watched last night. It borrowed more from Tolkien than I remembered (the dragon terrorizing a village, the wizard dying and coming back in white, the destruction of the amulet/ring, and so on), but that was in the days after Ralph Bakshi’s LOTR animated movie when a live-action Tolkien was thought to be unfilmable. The movie shows genuine appreciation for Tolkien. It’s not the epic that Excalibur was (only a few months earlier) but it’s a surprisingly realistic fairy tale, with stunning effects for 1981 (the producers wisely sought out ILM who were at the top of their game). I feel like the effect of having Alec Guinness in Star Wars ushered in new careers for that generation of British Shakespearean actors, so much so that Ralph Richardson, John Gielgud and the like should’ve given Guinness a cut. The movie may have underwhelmed at the summer box office, but let’s be fair: it was competing with Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman II and For Your Eyes Only. Still, it found an audience and is fondly remembered more than forty years later.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I received my copy from Target today courtesy of the USPS today and it has not only a slipcover but a digital code that says Dragonslayer upon it ....

Perhaps they needs to put out a Dragonet

:emoji_dragon_face:

A novelty classic from
I received my copy from Target today courtesy of the USPS today and it has not only a slipcover but a digital code that says Dragonslayer upon it ....

Perhaps they needs to put out a Dragonet

:emoji_dragon_face:

A real novelty classic from 1953, backed with "Little Blue Riding Hood." Stan Freberg was a treasure.

Attachments

• 08 LITTLE BLUE RIDING HOOD (Stan Freberg).mp3
    7 MB

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
but let’s be fair: it was competing with Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman II and For Your Eyes Only.

To say nothing of Harryhausen's final effort, CLASH OF THE TITANS, which was a box office hit, though arguably not in the same league as DRAGONSLAYER.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
CLASH OF THE TITANS, which was a box office hit,
It made $30 million domestically in 1981, which is about 100 million in todays dollars. I would call that mildly successful instead of a hit.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It made $30 million domestically in 1981, which is about 100 million in todays dollars. I would call that mildly successful instead of a hit.
I think in those days that would have been considered a minor hit. In any case, it did far better than DRAGONSLAYER.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That one tracking shot of Galen riding the horse out of the castle into the green valley is still one of the greatest images I've ever seen in any film. It stood out in the trailer before I saw it. But the odd atonal score and dark vibe kept the film from having the fun it needed to be a hit. The 4k looks great and the matte/blue screen touch-ups are acceptable as they're not rewrites like Lucas.
It is a beautiful shot. Too bad it flies by so quickly. If you bend over to pick up something you dropped on the floor, you'll miss it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think in those days that would have been considered a minor hit. In any case, it did far better than DRAGONSLAYER.
It made $45 million worldwide on a $15 million budget.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
It made $70 million worldwide. That would be $235 million dollars, today. On its modest budget by comparison to its competition, that's a very big hit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It made $70 million worldwide. That would be $235 million dollars, today. On its modest budget by comparison to its competition, that's a very big hit.
Umm… more like $41 million worldwide.

CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981)​

All Releases​

DOMESTIC (100%)
$41,092,328
INTERNATIONAL (–)

WORLDWIDE
$41,092,328

$41,000,000 in 1981 is worth $137,880,429.04today​

So yeah… so I stand by mildly successful. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It is a beautiful shot. Too bad it flies by so quickly. If you bend over to pick up something you dropped on the floor, you'll miss it.
I remember being blown away by that shot back in 1981 in the theater. Beautiful.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Umm… more like $41 million worldwide.

CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981)​

All Releases​

DOMESTIC (100%)
$41,092,328
INTERNATIONAL (–)

WORLDWIDE
$41,092,328

$41,000,000 in 1981 is worth $137,880,429.04today​

So yeah… so I stand by mildly successful. ;)
Do you think because you went to a source that thinks the film had no international release, that it didn't? It was released in 28 other countries other than United States and Canada. You are only counting the North American box office. The film made in excess of $70 million, and I stand by a big hit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do you think because you went to a source that thinks the film had no international release, that it didn't? It was released in 28 other countries other than United States and Canada. You are only counting the North American box office. The film made in excess of $70 million, and I stand by a big hit.
Oh sorry…$44 million and as I said that’s WORLDWIDE INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL.

from the numbers.com

Clash of the Titans (1981)​

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office$30,000,000Details
International Box Office$14,400,000Details
Worldwide Box Office$44,400,000

Opening Weekend:$6,580,742 (21.9% of total gross)
Legs:4.56 (domestic box office/biggest weekend)
Domestic Share:67.6% (domestic box office/worldwide)
Production Budget:$15,000,000 (worldwide box office is 3.0 times production budget)
Infl. Adj. Dom. BO$98,956,826

Latest Ranking on Cumulative Box Office Lists​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks