What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In the U. S. It’s streaming on Hulu and Hbo Max, neither has provided it in 4K.

We watched it on HBO last night.
Looked nice.
Could have been great I guess but as it’s been mentioned it felt like everything was cg, it didn’t feel “Live”.

I’ve never seen any version of this Christie story before but about 20 minutes in, once we saw where the main relationship was headed I turned to my wife and guessed exactly what was going to happen as far as the first Death would go.

My wife also said to me that it seems like a bad idea to murder people while Hercule Pierrot is part of the group.
We still enjoyed it.
Was entertained for a couple hours or so.

Last edited:

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Watched this the other day and quite enjoyed it. It's stylistic, and yes, some of the CGI isn't the best, but that was the same with the first movie too. It struck me as a choice to do things the way that they were done.

Real point for posting though: My 11yo (almost 12) watched this on D+ last weekend and really enjoyed it and asked to watch the new Murder on the Orient Express with me last night. Tonight's choice was Knives Out.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Bad CGI has ruined so many movies for me. The worst offender I can think of is the most recent film version of The Great Gatsby. It was otherwise not a bad adaptation but the over dependence on CGI just left a bad taste in my mouth. It was just awful!

Yes, that one also had some really bad CGI. One would think that after all those decades this would not happen any more.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, that one also had some really bad CGI. One would think that after all those decades this would not happen any more.
I think that was more of a stylistic choice by Baz Lurmann and less bad cgi. He’s an over the top director and seemed appropriate for the style he chose.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I think that was more of a stylistic choice by Baz Lurmann and less bad cgi. He’s an over the top director and seemed appropriate for the style he chose.

Appropriate for Luhrmann's style maybe, but completely wrong for the material. That's a story for another thread, however! ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Honestly, I can't believe RAH gave this movie such a glowing review. I thought the 65mm photography got buried under some truly artificial-looking CGI that, like in MotOE, made all the exterior shots look more like animation than anything else. It was so distracting. I kept thinking, why go Panavision Super 70 if your vistas are all going to be all created on a laptop?
Where did you see the film?

Benoit Blanc

Second Unit
Real Name
John
In the U. S. It’s streaming on Hulu and Hbo Max, neither has provided it in 4K.

We watched it on HBO last night.
Looked nice.
Could have been great I guess but as it’s been mentioned it felt like everything was cg, it didn’t feel “Live”.

I’ve never seen any version of this Christie story before but about 20 minutes in, once we saw where the main relationship was headed I turned to my wife and guessed exactly what was going to happen as far as the first Death would go.

My wife also said to me that it seems like a bad idea to murder people while Hercule Pierrot is part of the group.
We still enjoyed it.
Was entertained for a couple hours or so.
Poirot.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the possible problems re the impact of DotN is that it was photographed and designed to be seen on huge screens, hence the 70mm - not as a product of television.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
One of the possible problems re the impact of DotN is that it was photographed and designed to be seen on huge screens, hence the 70mm - not as a product of television.
The CGI for some of the sequences at the beginning when they first arrive in Egypt and when they we see the exterior shots of the Nile long distance when they are celebrating the wedding aren’t quite as impressive as I would have hoped but, given this is a throw back to older styled mysteries and the period setting, I thought of it like the old use of matte paintings. It doesn’t ruin it by any means but I can see how some folks will be critical of that portion. In fact, it makes it rather quaint like the period setting. The ironic is that there’s a lot of CGi work that was done on this movie that was ’invisible’ to most folks and they’ll never know. I can only image whst they looked like in 70mm. It is always a challenge to render visuals in a higher resolution format and pull it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks