What's new
Real Name
Luke Pacholski
Not that DV is bad because it has improved so much over the years. But so far in most cases to my knowledge disc is still better than DV. Disc still also offers higher data rates over DV unless you have a Kaleidescape Media Player / Server and get your digital downloads from Kaleidescape. Then the data rates can top blu-ray discs. Just depends if you want as I am sure the DV version is a good experience as well. I also have a number of movies on DV that I can stream along with my disc library. I am looking forward to getting Citizen Kane but I want the disc in my library to watch when ever and not have to worry about if I have internet or not. Anyone view this title on a Sony A9F OLED?

What do you mean "disc is still better than DV"? As far as I know everyone is talking about discs, with and without Dolby Vision.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What do you mean "disc is still better than DV"? As far as I know everyone is talking about discs, with and without Dolby Vision.

Was under the impression DV meant digital video as in digital streaming or digital download. If so then disregard my post, sorry.

RATLSNAKE

Agent
I have both the Criterion UHD and the Warners 4K disc (Australian). I've looked at both but not done a side-by-side comparison. My impression is that they are the same transfer - or very close to each other.
Thanks for that. I really want the Criterion edition, but have not found anywhere that guarantees "new stock" that includes the fixed BD disc. Being outside of North America, if I was to get the original stock, Criterion from what I can gather would not honour the replacement disc because of their odd policy to only sell/ship to the USA and Canada. <frustrating>

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for that. I really want the Criterion edition, but have not found anywhere that guarantees "new stock" that includes the fixed BD disc. Being outside of North America, if I was to get the original stock, Criterion from what I can gather would not honour the replacement disc because of their odd policy to only sell/ship to the USA and Canada. <frustrating>
I'm in the UK and received my replacement disc from Criterion, no problems at all; I'm not the only one.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Also a postscript on Kane and the two shots Mr Harris references in his review. Now the happy owner of a new projector I’ve been trailing back over recent Blus of stuff that’s shortly due in UHD. When I played back the Warner Annversary BD of Kane I scoped right into the two sequences Mr Harris cites. Guess what, in both cases the shots are exactly the same visual issues as Mr Harris describes in the UHD. Cotton’s face is clearly if dimly recognizable in not the first but the second short wide shot of the group in the screening room, and the camera gives it a few seconds for his face to sink in. Diito the library AB shot, in which just as Mr Harris describes, the first shot closing into the page is fully flared out in white, with the B shot showing the text. It looks like these two shots‘ lighting values are either intentional or simply baked in, at least from the point of time when Warner did this earlier 4K restoration.

The lighting issue in the newsroom sequence has actually been, as you put it, "baked in" for quite a while. When Warner first released Kane on DVD, I recall lots of negative comments on the interwebs about that sequence. I did an A/B comparison of the Warner DVD against the Criterion LD -- actually, both their original 1984 release (Spine #1), and the later (1992) "50th Anniversary Edition" release (Spine #142) -- and the lighting issue was present in both of the LDs. I did not check out the Image/Turner "RKO Classic Collection" edition LD, but it was also bannered "50th Anniversary Edition", and probably used the same master as Criterion #142. I didn't have the original Image LD release (circa 1985/1986) to check against.

I once had a Betamax edition, but ditched that when I got the original Criterion LD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Shamefully, this morning, I finally sent my email with photo to Criterion.
No need to be ashamed. I haven’t sent in my request for a replacement yet either. I got busy with other things in life. But I see they are sending out replacements. I was waiting on the replacement for A Hard Days Night too. I may try to make my request this weekend. I just still hate the idea of cutting or breaking the disc. I know the content is bad, so it’s not like ruining a good disc. But still.

Maybe Criterion would accept a photo of a disc with a hole drilled into the playing surface? Of if I gouge the playing surface with a knife?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
No need to be ashamed. I haven’t sent in my request for a replacement yet either.

Nor have I. I do have the excuse that I'm unlikely to watch the BD in the Criterion set. If for some reason, my 4K player bites the dust, and I have a hankering to watch the film before I get a new one, I still have Warner's "Ultimate Collector's Edition" blu-ray set (I kept it for the special features not carried over to the Criterion).

I have no excuses for a number of other discs I need to get replaced, though, like Arrow's Donnie Darko, or even a handful of Criterions.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The UK has a 4K/UHD boxed set of 30 Warner Brothers films, celebrating its 100th anniversary. This set is inclusive of Citizen Kane.

Does anyone here know of any differences between the Warner issued 4K/UHD and the Criterion? AND…which one is better?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The UK has a 4K/UHD boxed set of 30 Warner Brothers films, celebrating its 100th anniversary. This set is inclusive of Citizen Kane.

Does anyone here know of any differences between the Warner issued 4K/UHD and the Criterion? AND…which one is better?
I doubt there are any differences presentation-wise except for Criterion owned bonus material.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The UK Warner Bros 4K version of Citizen Kane is also available as an individual release apart from its inclusion in the WB 100 Anniversary sets 30 film and 5 film Classic Hollywood. They are most likely the same disc as the 100th Anniversary sets don't mention anything new about the films in the sets. The individual release includes a blu ray with the special features. The blu ray is probably region locked as to not compete with the US release from Criterion.

1704649600717.png

Special Features on Blu-ray:

Separate Commentaries by Roger Ebert and Peter Bogdanovich
Interviews with Ruth Warrick and Robert Wise
Opening: World Premiere of Citizen Kane
Still Photography with Commentary by Roger Ebert and More

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

Different encode. Some people think Warner’s is better. There are differences if you’re pixel-peeping. Someone on another site pointed to this example: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=740&y=256&d1=16962&d2=16781&s1=185843&s2=182372&l=1&i=5&go=1.
Whether you would see a difference in actual viewing is a different question.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’m sensing that most people couldn’t tell the difference while actually watching the discs.
I can certainly recognize the beauty of a great transfer, but I am definitely not one who can see to the extent and degree of compson’s helpful illustrations. Criterion has the edge for its bonus materials and will get my bucks. Thanks to everyone for their assists.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks