What's new

A few words about...™ Cat People -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paul Schrader's Cat People, based upon the 1942 RKO original by Jacques Tourneur, dispenses with some of the original's subtleties, while creating an updated version that works beautifully on its own.

Add Giorgio Moroder's wonderful score and John Bailey's cinematography, and you have a package that beautifully stands the test of time.

It also shows us that Shout / Scream Factory remains a high quality label, coming directly after my screening of Platoon, which seems to be an anomaly. Thinking back, trying to recall releases that have been a problem for me, the only other I can come up with is Dances with Wolves, another MGM license.

Scream's new Cat People, derived from a new 4k scan of the OCN, looks like a new 35mm print, with just a touch of sparkle to give it an authentic film look.

Grain reproduction is steller. Color, a very important attribute of the film is gorgeous. Everything is in it's place - typical of a product from Universal.

In their Criterion mode, Scream also offers some new extras on top of those found in their last Blu-ray.

All in all, a wonderful package, and a definite upgrade.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have ordered this from Amazon already. Hope I don't get a scratched disc which is a thing with this release from what I have read.

Old Bones

Agent
Real Name
William
Many people received scratched discs , I was lucky got a good one , I opened it in the store to be sure.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
When I saw the thread title, I almost plotzed, thinking, "Who's releasing Tourneur's Cat People on UHD, and why haven't I heard anything about that?" Then I remembered...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks