What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The reviewer at Blu-ray.com expresses unhappiness about what is included in this set versus what was advertised.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

It's a confusing mess for me. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with all of the cuts. That, despite the fact that I own the 5-disc set on HD DVD. However 3 of the 5 discs have significant clouding, including the Final Cut.

I guess I'll get the 4K set when it drops in price a bit.

Mark

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The reviewer at Blu-ray.com expresses unhappiness about what is included in this set versus what was advertised.

It's a confusing mess for me. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with all of the cuts. That, despite the fact that I own the 5-disc set on HD DVD. However 3 of the 5 discs have significant clouding, including the Final Cut.

Mark
I read your review link, but I'm confused by it too. It's true the Workprint version isn't in this video release. However, my copy of this release does have a Blu-ray with US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut on that disc. Also, there is only one DVD with the Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner. Furthermore there is a 4K/UHD disc and Blu-ray disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut. So to recap, I have the following discs with this release:

4K/UHD Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut
DVD Disc of Blade Runner: Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mark

Where did you read that three of the five discs, including the Final Cut, have significant clouding? He doesn't say anything about clouding in that review. In fact, His review of the PQ on the Blu-ray version seems at odds with the star-ranking. He complains that the Blu-ray encode is inferior as it is the same low bit-rate VC1 encode as the 2007 release. He complains that the Blu-ray is "outdated" looking and could have looked much better with a re-master; yet, he gives the BD five "B"s for picture quality. It is hard to take someone seriously when they complain about the PQ and then give it top-ranking.

Edit: Apologies. I re-read your comment. You were referring to clouding on your HD-DVD copies, not to the this 4K SE.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Except this wasn't shot in 70mm.
Not exactly. All original elements of SFX shots were 65mm, and IIRC completed in 65mm to reduce degradation. When WB embarked on the quest to produce the "briefcase", they scanned all 65mm VFX elements at 8K and finished the DI at 4K. Not sure if a full rescan was undertaken for this release, or simply an HDR pass, but to write this off as not "shot in 70mm" seems a bit dismissive.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Where did you read that three of the five discs, including the Final Cut, have significant clouding? He doesn't say anything about clouding in that review. In fact, his review of the PQ on the Blu-ray version seems at odds with the star-ranking. He complains that the Blu-ray encode is inferior as it is the same low bit-rate VC1 encode as the 2007 release. He complains that the Blu-ray is "outdated" looking and could have looked much better with a re-master; yet, he gives the BD five "B"s for picture quality. It is hard to take someone seriously when they complain about the PQ and then give it top-ranking.
I believe what he said was that three of his HD DVDs have significant clouding, not the current release.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I read your review link, but I'm confused by it too. It's true the Workprint version isn't in this video release. However, my copy of this release does have a Blu-ray with US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut on that disc. Also, there is only one DVD with the Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner. Furthermore there is a 4K/UHD disc and Blu-ray disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut. So to recap, I have the following discs with this release:

4K/UHD Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Blu-ray Disc of Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut, International Cut & Director's Cut
DVD Disc of Blade Runner: Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner

Ok, will mine only has 3 discs in it which by the back of the box is my understanding what you should get. I originally read that the DVD wasn't included but the multi movie was. It sounds like you got an extra disc. Very cool.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Ok, will mine only has 3 discs in it which by the back of the box is my understanding what you should get. I originally read that the DVD wasn't included but the multi movie was. It sounds like you got an extra disc. Very cool.

I got the same 4 discs as Robert. Ordered from Amazon on 8/30, shipped Tuesday 9/5, received Thursday 9/7. My first thought was that the DVD was a mistake and it was supposed to be a BR, but it appears that is not the case.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

4 discs is the correct disc count, and that includes 2 dvd supplement discs, 1 BD of The Final Cut, 1 UHD BD of The Final Cut.
IMG_0776.JPG

Last edited:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Interesting wording on the back of the box regarding the special features. It says it "may not be in high definition".

"May not" seems an odd way to describe it. Almost as though they weren't sure if the Special Features would be on DVD or BR.

As mentioned, I got the same combination as Robert. Coupling your report with Bryan's, mine and Robert's that's 3 different disc combinations.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Interesting that there is not actually a list of what's in the package on the package ("and more!"). I got the set with the UHD disk, the two blu rays and the one DVD. Mine are labelled Disc 1 - Final Cut Blu, Disc 2 - DVD with Dangerous Days, and Disc 3 - Blu with the other variants. Plus the UHD of course. Bryan's set skips Disc 3 and goes to Disc 4. Did they have a lot of leftovers from the old set?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So, some people received the 4K Blade Runner package with:

1. 4K Blade Runner Final Cut disc
2. Standard Blu-ray Blade Runner Final Cut disc
3. DVD version of Dangers Days: Making of Blade Runner
4. DVD version of Blade Runner Enhancement Archive

Other people received:

1. 4K Blade Runner Final Cut disc
2. Standard Blu-ray Blade Runner Final Cut disc
3. DVD version of Dangers Days: Making of Blade Runner
4. Standard Blu-ray of alternate versions of Blade Runner

What an idiotic mess! And there are complaints about the image quality of the Final Cut on the standard Blu-ray.

Mark

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I thought it odd to have only one version of the film on disc. Whatever, I still have my old set with all versions.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C$40 dollars at BB. Almost picked it up to see what the 4K looks like, but I think they have bollocked this whole release. Tooting the horn about it being the 35th anniversary and celebrating it with this half-assed release does no service to this film. This release is pretty well the SE of "Blade Runner" with a 4K disc thrown in the box. I can wait for the inevitable single disc 4K that will come down the pike or buy the inevitable release of a deluxe SE with everything done properly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Without an Atmos setup yet, I went against my better judgement, and watched it anyway.

Who knows if this can ever look any better, but what I watched was enough to make me extremely pleased with my purchase.

Great looking UHD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have purchased and partially viewed the 4k of BLADE RUNNER and am a bit ambivalent. It sure as hell is brighter on my LG 65" OLED. Too bright, actually, and I don't want to darken it too much for fear of losing shadow detail. The contrast seems too high, and cannot be separately adjusted on this display unless by changing the viewing mode (Cinema/Game/Exp 1 & 2) as the "contrast" setting is grayed-out in 4k mode. The LG defaults to and stays on 100 (highest level). This accentuates the grain and produces an image too intense to be enjoyable to me.

Admittedly I have not played around much with 4k, as I own only four UHD movies so far. The display and the player were professionally calibrated using EX MACHINA as the demo disc, which looks awesome, but BLADE RUNNER is a very different animal. I am sure I will hit upon a setting that makes this film look as good as Mr. Harris describes (or close to it), but at first glance, I am disappointed. This and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS next week have been at the top of my 4k short list, and I want to be overwhelmed!

And even for this edition, there is still one bad (but apparently intentional) cut that I thought in theaters had slipped by as an error. Leon blows his interviewer through a wall with a hidden weapon, and several shots show the victim in motion, but ends way-y too abruptly with the man hitting the edge of a table and then cuts to the next sequence seeming prematurely. Shouldn't there have been a number of additional frames on the table shot? Always bugged me. Still does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks