What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Babylon -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Why? It didn't feel like demo material to me.
Well, following Robert Harris' recommendation to see it "on the larger screen, the better", I sat in the front row, in an Atoms-equipped theatre, with a 30 foot screen. The combination of the filming (the quality of the filming was superb), the editing, the music and the shenanigans going on in the castle, all combined to create a jaw-dropping experience. It's rare that I experience that in a cinema these days. I have absolutely no doubt that I will experience the same in my living room, with my 130 inch projection screen and my sound system.

IMG_1551.jpeg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I watched the film in segments, something I would have been unable to do in cinemas, owing to the joys of being diabetic and struggling with being able to sit for 3hours+. It's the same reason I haven't seen Avatar The Way of Water yet. I found it easier to digest that way, and an argument could be made for a limited series covering the same material. The performances are great across the board, and Tobey Maguire really goes for it in his limited role [you can see the teeth marks in the scenery].

I was reminded to some degree of Day of the Locust, but there's much more stylistic flair on display here. As a casual student of film history, with a particular interest in silents and the pre-Code era, I was impressed.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
The best and only use for this movie on disc I'd put it to involves the word "frisbee" or perhaps firing it in the air for target shooting!
Personally, anything with Brad Pitt nowadays I avoid like the plague.
And why is that ? What did he do/say/appear in that offends you so profoundly that you have to proclaim your animosity towards BP to everyone on this thread ?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was reminded to some degree of Day of the Locust, but there's much more stylistic flair on display here.

Sorry if others touched on this, but has anyone noted how much this movie inherently resembles "Boogie Nights"?

I like both of those comparisons. Certainly the rise and fall of stars is as old a story in Hollywood as the films portrayed in Babylon, with Boogie Nights being another in a long series of works to tackle that subject. When Manny and his assistant go to McKay's (Tobey Maguire) to pay the gambling debt, I made an almost immediate connection to a similar scene in Boogie Nights in which Eddie and Todd are at Rahad's to score drugs. Both scenes slowly build the tension to almost unbearable levels.

One of the really clever aspects of Babylon was the use of expressive facial gestures by the cast members (particularly Robbie) during the course of the film (during the segments not on a sound stage); using a silent film technique within the task of telling a story set during that era.

I really need to watch Babylon again, because as I reflect upon it my admiration of the film increases.

- Walter.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When Manny and his assistant go to McKay's (Tobey Maguire) to pay the gambling debt, I made an almost immediate connection to a similar scene in Boogie Nights in which Eddie and Todd are at Rahad's to score drugs. Both scenes slowly build the tension to almost unbearable levels.

Bingo. That's when it really hit me, as the "Babylon" scene is 100% "inspired" by the "Boogie Nights" sequence.

After that, I started to piece together how the rest of the movie resembled the thematic thrust of "BN" as well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Your loss. I thought it was a flawed masterpiece. You might well disagree, but you'll never be able to if you don't give it a chance, will you?
Well, not everyone has a dreaded Fear of Missing Out. I'm at an age where I figure if I miss this or that film -- even a highly-praised one -- it's not going to kill me.

That said, I picked up Babylon...

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I received the 4K UHD yesterday and saw the 30 minute pre-title sequence again. The script, content and acting notwithstanding; on second viewing, it is even more apparent what a superlative combination of camera shot angles, editing, sound, music, blocking and production design have been assembled. On par with anything Scorsese, or the Coen brothers have done. Filmmaking 101.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
The best use for this movie on disc would be to watch it and then form an opinion about it.

The elephant thing was barely anything to judge the movie on
Pitt was terrific
Margo Robbie was amazing

There are a handful of really good performances in the movie.

If you didn’t watch due to lack of access sure but if one doesn’t watch because of what you’ve heard about it then that’s a shame.
IMO, many aspects of the story were so over-the-top as to be completely ridiculous (unless early Hollywood was far more wild than anyone else has ever legitimately documented). And I think those over-the-top aspects really undermine the movie as it makes none of it believable. But the look of the film, the production aspects of early Hollywood and the performances were really terrific. And while Robbie's character had annoying flaws, one can't take your eyes off her the entire film. But I think it would have been a far better film without the excesses, but I'd guess that Chazelle didn't want to make anything resembling a conventional film.

Having said all that, here's the Hollywood Reporter's take on the film, which is a far better analysis than mine: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/babylon-real-hollywood-history-1235287183/

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
You know that is largely a fictional sensationalized account largely discredited today.
That would be correct. I love Anger - a brilliant artist and the book is priceless for its witty snarky writing and photo research - but much of the reporting is largely exaggerated. Most - not all - of it has been debunked/fact checked by Karina Longworth's great podcast YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS. Here's a link to the first of them about the book.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You obviously weren’t there that at 2AM after the premiere of Bear and the Bobcat, when Jack Gilbert jumped into Garbo’s pool in his tuxedo.

Garbo was not pleased. But when was she?

So what you're saying is that Jack Gilbert wasn't the one who made her laugh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks