What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Babylon -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Damien Chazelle's Babylon is one of those special films that cannot not get a reaction.

Love it, hate it, or fall somewhere in between, those who have experience the film come away with opinions.

At over three hours in length, with an initial party/orgy sequence that clocks in at around half an hour, and has some of the best long takes I've seen in quite a while, it's a behemoth of a film.

It's also a film that should be appreciated by those who love the late silent era, although I'm unable to attest to total accuracy. What the film does no, and I'd not seen this done in earlier films about the era, is to show it, warts and all.

There are tiny little elements that will probably go unnoticed in this production. Shot on film, and finished in 4k, it seems to have purposeful minus density on occasion, just to remind the viewer they're seeing film.

Like the film itself, performances tend to be over-the-top, in a good way. Margot Robbie should have had a nomination.

As a 4k UHD release - it comes as a SteelBook - it's a glorious affair, with imagery as sharp as a tack, what appears to be lovely film grain, and colors saturated enough to jump off one's screen.

Audio, via Dolby Atmos, is huge

Kudos to Paramount for putting extras on a third disc! Included, beyond extended and cut scenes is a very high quality documentary about the production. It ain't no little promo featurette.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The half-hour pre-title sequence will become a demonstration clip to show gobsmacked guests as to what home theatre can deliver - akin to what I used to present 30 years ago with the LaserDisc of Apocalypse Now! (Probably not to elderly relatives, though).

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Sad I missed this on its cinema release.

Whiplash is a masterpiece so Mr Chazelle is on my radar.

Will definitely check this out.

If Hollywood back then was "Babylon" what would you call it now?

Don't think you could put on film the shenanigans of La La Land's activities today.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not sure if I want to give this one a chance- too many differing opinions about this film at this site. I do generally like the director’s work, except for First Man
(that was a chore to get through).

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Here, rather than "the fat lady sings," we get "the elephant shits." Despite its many excesses, some of it is clever, and Brad Pitt delivers. Margot Robbie is, as noted by a reviewer, "ill-used."

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Here, rather than "the fat lady sings," we get "the elephant shits." Despite its many excesses, some of it is clever, and Brad Pitt delivers. Margot Robbie is, as noted by a reviewer, "ill-used."
Pas du tout! Margot Robbie is the heart and soul of the picture. Her key scenes: the silent movie picture sequence, immediately following the pre-credits sequence, and the "Let There be Sound" scene, are extraordinary.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Not sure if I want to give this one a chance- too many differing opinions about this film at this site. I do generally like the director’s work, except for First Man

You could watch it and then have your own opinion.
That’s what I did.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
You could watch it and then have your own opinion.
That’s what I did.
Since I don’t do streaming, I make decisions with blind buys. I think I’ll stay away from this one.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Since I don’t do streaming, I make decisions with blind buys. I think I’ll stay away from this one.

Your loss. I thought it was a flawed masterpiece. You might well disagree, but you'll never be able to if you don't give it a chance, will you?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Your loss. I thought it was a flawed masterpiece. You might well disagree, but you'll never be able to if you don't give it a chance, will you?
Maybe I will give it a chance- if Wally World stocks it, and the mood hits me. I don’t know- animals relieving themselves is not something I really want to watch though.

Last edited:

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Personally, anything with Brad Pitt nowadays I avoid like the plague.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The best use for this movie on disc would be to watch it and then form an opinion about it.

The elephant thing was barely anything to judge the movie on
Pitt was terrific
Margo Robbie was amazing

There are a handful of really good performances in the movie.

If you didn’t watch due to lack of access sure but if one doesn’t watch because of what you’ve heard about it then that’s a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks