What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Amadeus -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

We finally had time to watch our copy tonight, and I agree with Man regarding the picture quality. It was certainly better than the DVD, but I definitely noticed the DNR that took away some of the detail. As the film went on, though, I became more engrossed in the film and paid less attention to the transfer quality. An excellent film will usually do this to me, as long as the transfer is not too bad.

Regarding the DC, I think the additional scenes with Salieri and Constanze do add to the film, and help explain the tensions between the two at the end of the film. The added scene with Mozart and the nobleman with the dogs (can't remember the character's name) was not really necessary, though, IMO.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... Good point about how that added sequence (and subplot) helped better explain the tension in the ending. I wonder if it would not feel like a bit of a drag w/out the other additions.

Also, re: the PQ, I should add that the most obvious problem w/ the DNR do show up in the characters' faces, particularly in close(r)-ups where one would expect to see more facial details and skin texture than is visible here. It's really not just that it's lost the film-like look (w/ lost of grain), but the faces often also lost significant detail/texture. But yeah, the movie itself does tend to draw me in enough to overlook this problem much of the time -- except during parts where it started to drag some for me. However, I'm not sure how distracting the DNR would be if I'm using a much larger viewing angle like many FP folks use. It's minor enough in my current (forseeable) situation.

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Which is precisely why there are "professional" QC people in place to deal with anomalies before you buy the disc. Once you hit play, your only job should be to enjoy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Totally agreed though we're unfortunately still each of us left w/ a decision to make as consumers, particularly those of us who really want to own this title and would find the PQ fine enough for the forseeable future. OTOH, I never bought Patton after finding out about the (worse) PQ issue. I'm also still holding out on The Last Emperor (for the MAR issue even though that's Storaro's IMHO-poor decision and will probably do likewise for all his other MAR releases). And I regret having bought a few others so far even though I got them at essentially bargain bin prices (thinking that might be a reasonable tradeoff).

And thanks again, RAH, for spending so much of your time over here, contributing to our benefit -- and also for being a very notable voice for the cause in the industry as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

_Man_

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The Digibook is bargain-bin priced at the moment, $7.99 at Amazon.

Is WB clearing inventory for a new re-issue/new 4K scan a la Casablanca?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I picked it up for that price. It's better than the vhs copy I saw long ago.... I saw it in the theater in 1984, and if my memory can be believed from way back then it does not look as good as that. It does seem like maybe some dnr was used or overused. Still, for the price it's a fine movie and the best way to see it until a remaster is done someday. And I love the music and opera recreations. The performance of Salieri is memorable. Didn't he win an Oscar for that?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by benbess

I picked it up for that price. It's better than the vhs copy I saw long ago.... I saw it in the theater in 1984, and if my memory can be believed from way back then it does not look as good as that. It does seem like maybe some dnr was used or overused. Still, for the price it's a fine movie and the best way to see it until a remaster is done someday. And I love the music and opera recreations. The performance of Salieri is memorable. Didn't he win an Oscar for that?

The $7.99 price is gone from Amadeus (no matter to me as I already have my copy!).

F. Murray Abraham most certainly did win the Oscar for his portrayal of Salieri, Ben. The film also won Best Picture and Best Directing as well as five other awards.

The only thing you'll notice different about this Blu-ray release--outside of the beautiful images/sound...is that this will only be the "Director's Cut" of the film. It includes 20 additional minutes of footage to the 161 minute theatrical release. Too bad for all those who would like to see the original version which won all those awards.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Mike Frezon said:
The $7.99 price is gone from Amadeus (no matter to me as I already have my copy!). F. Murray Abraham most certainly did win the Oscar for his portrayal of Salieri, Ben.  The film also won Best Picture and Best Directing as well as five other awards. The only thing you'll notice different about this Blu-ray release--outside of the beautiful images/sound...is that this will only be the "Director's Cut" of the film.  It includes 20 additional minutes of footage to the 161 minute theatrical release.  Too bad for all those who would like to see the original version which won all those awards.
Yes, that's his name. F. Murray Abraham is amazing in this. Impressive make up too. This seems like a film that has stood the test of time as one of the films where the academy made the right choice.... I have to say I feel strange about how hyped The Artist has been. I liked it well enough, but Best Picture? I just don't really believe that. I would vote for War Horse or Tree of Life....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by benbess

I have to say I feel strange about how hyped The Artist has been. I liked it well enough, but Best Picture? I just don't really believe that. I would vote for War Horse or Tree of Life....

Count on it. Occasionally a picture comes along that charms Hollywood down to its socks, and The Artist has done that (Slumdog Millionaire accomplished the same feat a few years ago). It has also helped that Jean Dujardin has given several blithe acceptance speeches in the past few weeks (George Clooney's once foregone Oscar has evaporated as a result), and the movie has the great Weinstein publicity machine behind it.

No, I'd say the only major race still up for grabs is Best Actress where either Viola Davis or Meryl Streep will prevail.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Amazon is still letting you order the digibook for $8; it's just backordered. However, I recommend that people spend a few extra bucks on the 1997 DVD release. Yeah, you have to flip the disc halfway through, but you get to see the vastly superior theatrical cut. IMO the added scenes just cheapened the story by making Salieri out to be a lech. Of course, the nudity was fun. :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think the digibook is a flawed bargain. I like both cuts of the film. And the digibook has better pq and sound, and also a free CD of Mozart music that's nice. Sure, we all have CDs of Mozart, but it's a fun compilation of stuff that's nice for commuting to work. For $8 I think it's worth it. But I mostly agree with the original review by RAH--something is wrong with the picture. DNR makes it look unfilm-like. And it's such a magnificent movie that it deserves a remaster. Perhaps the fact that they are blowing these out the door at pennies on the original msrp means that a new version is in the works???

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Damn, now y'all have me wanting to watch the theatrical. I have it in the Pioneer LD box set, but it might be worth the few bucks to get a copy of that old DVD for the superior upscaling.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
You know for all the controversy about the very brief nudity, it does seem to be prefigured in the desserts that Salieri serves to her a few minutes earlier in the film.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Bumping this thread to bring the news that a 4K restoration of the theatrical version will be screening at the Academy Museum on May 31st.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks