What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Doug Bull said:
Anybody looking for information on "The Gangs All Here" which is not the famous Carmen Miranda film but a british movie from 1939 which was released in the USA as "The Amazing Mr.Forrest". Alfred Hitchcock was to direct it but later changed his mind.
The Carmen Miranda one will be out in Sept.!

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Bull said:
Is this the one?

attachicon.gif
bandwagon.jpg

Doug.
You bet!!

(oddly enough, the LP "That's Entertainment" ends with chorus and orcestra...the film does not!)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Edward Weinman said:
You bet!!

(oddly enough, the LP "That's Entertainment" ends with chorus and orcestra...the film does not!)
I've always preferred the terrific alternate ending used on the LP and was disappointed with the slightly lacklustre version that made it to the actual Movie.

Doug.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Bull said:
I've always preferred the terrific alternate ending used on the LP and was disappointed with the slightly lacklustre version that made it to the actual Movie.

Doug.
I can see why they used the non-choral ending given the close-up of the stars as it's last shot, but..
It also seems that the ending shot was made for theaters with curtains so that the musical build-up and the static of the image coinside with the theater's curtains closing; (in those days, living in the Bronx, all twelve movie theaters that I could walk to from our appartment used curtains extensively and very artistically...oh, well...)

...and, my dad took me to the Radio City Music Hall to see "The Band Wagon" in 1953 and I was transfixed at what I saw...the movie has remained with me to this day...it's not just one thing about the production, it's many, the primary is the incredible orchestrations for the musical numbers and the background plus that magnificent MGM Studio Orchestra (which I still insist was one of the great orchestras of this country in its day).

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
MGM utilized the finale version of 'That's Enrertainment!' from THE BAND WAGON at the end of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT PART 2 to good effect. What was mysterious re later screenings of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! was the deletion of 'True Love' from HIGH SOCIETY in the Bing Crosby hosted part of the film.
I recall seeing the first (11am) screening in December 1974 at the Forum theatre (formerly the State theatre, renovated into two cinemas- the Forum and the Rapallo). It was projected in 70mm and looked and sounded terrific. I saw it many times that summer (a short dealing with the hurricane in Darwin was shown with it) and it moved to the Metro Collins St (possibly renamed the Mayfair by then) in 35mm as a double feature with SHOW BOAT (which was unfortunately cropped to 1.85:1). It was later paired with HIGH SOCIETY at the Dendy Malvern cinema in a festival of musicals which I co-programmed with the manager in 1976. It's great that the dvd version in the USA gives the theatrical version (with certain sequences altered for Wide Screen) as well as an "original ratio" version for buyers to choose from. I am normally a stickler for correct OAR, but I find myself choosing the theatrical edition in order to re-live the original experience I so enjoyed at the Forum. (And yes, funny things did happen often on the way there.....)
P.S. I did think at the time that it was a pity that certain CinemaScope musicals egs KISMET, THE STUDENT PRINCE,THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN and- a non-Scope biopic-DEEP IN MY HEART were completely overlooked by all three movies in what became the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! series of movies.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Some of you may be interested in a remarkable young man (me being 72) by the name of John Wilson who, at age 42, has his own symphony orchestra devised upon the orchestras of the "old" studio systems. He has always loved the "hollywood" sound and has reconstructed scores, both musicals and dramas, and arranged them for the London Proms concerts beginning, I believe, in 2009 with "A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical" which, origionally issued as a dvd in region 2, has been issued here.

His ability to reconstruct minute musical cues from films that, largely, have no remaining scores, and reorchestrate them for his orchestra is something to behold. The MGM tribute was so successful that the BBC, I believe, had the initial televised concert issued on dvd (which, i might add, is wonderful both in vision and in sound). Unfortunately, the succeeding concerts have not been issued on dvd but they are as follows:

2010: Proms Concert Tribute to Ridgers and Hammerstein
2011: Proms Concert Hooray for Hollywood
2012: John Wilson on Broadway
2013: Hollywood Rhapsody

It's really something to see and hear.

(now...back to your regular channel...)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
John Wilson is a genius.
His 'Celebration of the Classic MGM Film Musicals' DVD or CD is a must have for all those who love the sound of the MGM Orchestra.

It's by far my most cherished Concert DVD.
I play it over and over, especially the rousing dance number from 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' which is a sheer delight.
It's clear that the Orchestra members had a great time performing it.

wilson.jpg

Please John, do another.

Doug.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
lionel59 said:
MGM utilized the finale version of 'That's Enrertainment!' from THE BAND WAGON at the end of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT PART 2 to good effect. What was mysterious re later screenings of this film was the deletion of 'True Love' from HIGH SOCIETY in the Bing Crosby hosted part of the film.
I believe that "True Love" was cut from TE1, not TE2.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Bull said:
John Wilson is a genius.
His 'Celebration of the Classic MGM Film Musicals' DVD or CD is a must have for all those who love the sound of the MGM Orchestra.

I play it over and over, especially the rousing dance number from 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' which is a sheer delight.

attachicon.gif
wilson.jpg

Please John, do another.

Doug.
The greatest pleasure of this concert is in the viewing as well as hearing...the orchestra, the soloists and, especially, John Wiliams need to be seen as well as heard...the way he interacts with his musicians and his soloists is what musical dreams are made of!

(You can do a youtube.com search for John Wilson Orchestra to, at least, see (and hear) some of these great concert segments.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
John Wilson is a genius.

attachicon.gif
wilson.jpg

Please John, do another.

Doug.
Ordered.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Well done Allen.
I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

John Wilson recreates the MGM Studio Orchestra sound with amazing accuracy and passion.
Most of the vocalists including Seth MacFarlane and Kim Criswell do a really good job recreating the originals with only Curtis Stigers occasionally going it alone with his interpretations.

The end of the Johnny Green arranged 'Jubilee Overture' almost bought tears to my eyes.

Let us know how you feel after watching it.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, I also have the Wilson MGM Film Musicals disc and his Rodgers and Hammerstein tribute which was available for a short time as a download from the Proms. Great stuff indeed. Seems all the Australians like this!

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
And I believe that the inestimable Mr Wilson is appearing at the Proms in London later this year with a concert version of "Kiss Me Kate" (no idea who the soloists are yet).
He is a one-man promoter of the golden age of film and stage musicals here in the UK. I was fortunate to be able to see him perform a film music concert in Glasgow a couple of years ago - and it was terrific! His love of classic film scores - and arrangers and composers - is second to none.
Alistair

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Roger. Yes, I was referring to THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! (part one) when I was referring to the later deletion of 'True Love'.. Bing Crosby only hosted a segment in the first one. I have altered my message to make that meaning clearer. Cheers.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Doug Bull said:
Well done Allen.
I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

John Wilson recreates the MGM Studio Orchestra sound with amazing accuracy and passion.
Most of the vocalists including Seth MacFarlane and Kim Criswell do a really good job recreating the originals with only Curtis Stigers occasionally going it alone with his interpretations.

The end of the Johnny Green arranged 'Jubilee Overture' almost bought tears to my eyes.

Let us know how you feel after watching it.

Doug.
...without trying to overdo this (which I am more than willing to do)...the end of the "Jubilee Overture" was intended to be a tribute to Judy Garland who was fired from the studio less than 3 years prior to Johnny Green's working on this...if you listen, the "Over the Rainbow" begins as a dirge (sp?) with only the brass playing in low tones accompanied by what seems to be church bells but then builds up and up to a musical love letter to the studio departed star...this may only be my imaginateion but, Johnny Green was a very talented and smart man and I cannot believe that he had any other intention but to present the ending of the "Jubilee Overture" as a tribute to her.

(maybe we should start a love discussion of all that was glorious about the mgm musical...everyone could overdo their emotions until there is nothing left to be said...just kidding...i think)

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
davidmatychuk said:
I could only accept Edward's interpretation of Johnny Green's intentions if I believed in talent and artistry in the service of emotional truth.
...well...don't you! (...sorry, meaning in the nicest way...i do).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks