What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deliverance (40th Anniversary) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In the not to distant past I commented in regard to John Boorman's magnificent Deliverance -- here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/261282/a-few-words-about-deliverance-in-bd-hd

History is an interesting thing, and its cycles seem never-ending.

While special Anniversary re-issues may seem to be a recent idea, book publishers have been doing it for a while.

Theatrical re-issues of motion pictures on a cyclical basis seem to have occurred most with Disney animated classics, and M-G-M's re-issues of The Wizard of Oz and GWTW -- every seven years.

But in the world of home video, it's the 35th and 40th Anniversaries, led with a battle cry by Warner Home Video (and taking their lead from the Edison wax cylinder re-issues in the last century) that have become special, and dear to the hearts of many home video aficionados.

With that in mind, we welcome the 40th Anniversary Book Edition of John Boorman's Deliverance.

In 2007 we received the HD and Blu-ray variants of the film, in a simple, yet elegant, plastic case. That version is currently available on Amazon for under $10.

For 2012 we have the new book release, and it's nicely done.

The main addition, to keep up with technology, is uncompressed audio. The image appears to be the same as the earlier release, which was fine. On top of that there is a new half hour discussion between the four leads, which is both entertaining and insightful.

If you have the original release, I doubt that the additions will be worth the cost, but if you don't, and will be able to hear the difference between the original compressed audio and the new uncompressed, then here's your chance for an upgrade.

A beautifully rendered Blu-ray of an important and still entertaining film, that absolutely stands the test of time.

One question that I'm certain will come up is whether a new 4k image harvest could yield a superior image, and I believe that it could. It would also make grain rise slightly. As it is, the image appears very close to what it would have looked like on dye transfer prints, and by that I refer to the slightly more velvety grain structure.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
ok Robert this is my WB question... they didn't cut out that burned in WB logo on the film did they? I can't imagine they would be able to the way it is incorperated into the movie. I guess it is nice we get upgraded HD audio.

Still hoping they will issue a Bullitt Digibook and upgrade the audio also.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Powell&Pressburger said:
Still hoping they will issue a Bullitt Digibook and upgrade the audio also.
And minus the nasty jump cut "correction" in the car chase.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Maybe things are looking up for uncompressed audio on Blade Runner later this year.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I do not have the same affection for the initial Blu release of this film as Mr. Harris has. I find the colors muddy -- olive green foliage, brownish, pasty skin tones. I saw DELIVERANCE film numerous times theatrically, and the Blu-ray was not a good representation of it in terms of color fidelity. That is why I was hoping this 40th Anniversary release was going to include a newly-mastered image.
Guess I'll just hang on the to the inferior original.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/321492/a-few-words-about-deliverance-40th-anniversary-in-blu-ray#post_3939550
Why is the title credit different on the blu ray than the dvd? Which is correct?

Was this because of the commnet I made or has it been confirmed as being different? (I just hate it when WB's replaces one of their old logos.. I doubt it happened to Deliverance only because the logo is burned into the film with audio from the film If I recall correctly? It is intact on the first BLU release just hoping it is the same for the new digibook release. I hate that WB's replaced it for the BLU for All the President's Men.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Powell&Pressburger said:
I hate that WB's replaced it for the BLU for All the President's Men.
And The Exorcist. And .... and .... and ....

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
eric scott richard said:
Why is the title credit different on the blu ray than the dvd? Which is correct?
I notcied that too, for whatever reason the BD has some pretty cheap looking digital credits. I'm not sure what was wrong with the original optically printed credits that they felt the need to do this.

plinfesty

Agent
Real Name
Paul Linfesty
In reference to the uncompressed audio, is it a "new" 5.1 mix, or the original mono?
The film played originally in 70mm 6-track stereo in at least 2 theatres, he Cinerama Dome in Hollywood and the Cinerama Theatre in San Diego (although this could have been from 1 print - the SD run didn't begin until the day after the Dome's long engagement closed).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It was 70mm at the Dome? That's where I saw it, and I remember to this day how shaken I was the rest of the evening. What a powerful film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
plinfesty said:
The film played originally in 70mm 6-track stereo in at least 2 theatres, he Cinerama Dome in Hollywood and the Cinerama Theatre in San Diego (although this could have been from 1 print - the SD run didn't begin until the day after the Dome's long engagement closed).
Negatives were routinely over-worked, and many damaged striking blow-ups. Most entities tired to keep 70s down to minimum, moving them in the distribution pattern. Zhivago, since it had a wide release (wide for mid-'60s) was one of the more abused. It wasn't until the mid-1980s that we had a quality duping stock, allowing safe creation of 70s from dupes. The problem with some of those, however, was that dupes were improperly made.

RAH

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Scott Calvert said:
I notcied that too, for whatever reason the BD has some pretty cheap looking digital credits. I'm not sure what was wrong with the original optically printed credits that they felt the need to do this.
Which film has these re-done credits on the Blu-ray?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Powell&Pressburger said:
/t/321492/a-few-words-about-deliverance-40th-anniversary-in-blu-ray#post_3939550
From DVDBeaver, I think Eric is referring to this:
c01738e3_title20old.jpeg

cb8be547_title20new.jpeg

If I'm correct, I'm not sure what the reason for the change was. If it's a change of the WB shield at the beginning, that's just silly

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Harris said:
One question that I'm certain will come up is whether a new 4k image harvest could yield a superior image, and I believe that it could.  I would also make grain rise slightly.  As it is, the image appears very close to what it would have looked like on dye transfer prints, and by that I refer to the slightly more velvety grain structure.
Which raises an interesting philosophical question. If a 4K scan could take to you closer to the OCN, but this scan produced something which looks closer to an original print, then if Deliverance were to get a 4K scan and a re-release, which would be the 'right' version.
I have the original release on Blu-ray Disc. I won't be upgrading unless (a) my bank account has a quiet month and (b) this is going cheap.
Steve W

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H /t/321492/a-few-words-about-deliverance-40th-anniversary-in-blu-ray#post_3940115

c01738e3_title20old.jpeg

cb8be547_title20new.jpeg

If I'm correct, I'm not sure what the reason for the change was. If it's a change of the WB shield at the beginning, that's just silly
Interesting never noticed this credit font change difference... Hmm makes you wonder. I am still going to buy the Deliverence Digibook for the uncompressed audio... just crossing fingers for audio upgrades for titles such as Bullitt, Enter the Dragon, Speed Racer... those come to mind I know WB's has many others that deserve both image and sound upgrades.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Paramount put digital credits on African Queen in a manner very similar to Warner's credits on Deliverance. Not sure what the reasoning might be, aside from perhaps wanting to use less generational elements.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H /t/321492/a-few-words-about-deliverance-40th-anniversary-in-blu-ray#post_3940115

c01738e3_title20old.jpeg

cb8be547_title20new.jpeg

Credit change could have something to do with TV, ie. possibly too small a font on many screens.

Similar situation on Greatest Story Ever Told. Tiny font, that was quite normal in UP 70 on a sixty foot screen.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks