What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deadpool -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tim Miller's Deadpool, with the wonderfully self-effacing Ryan Reynolds in the lead, is a delightful piece of entertainment, that never takes itself too seriously.

With a myriad of inside jokes, jabs at the Marvel Universe, and a healthy dose of ribald humor, the film is a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

From a technical perspective, Fox's new 4k UHD release is a marvel, no pun intended, for several reasons.

Most important, at least on the image side, is that it's a true 4k release, as opposed to a 2k up-rez, with HDR that adds to the black levels, color and density of the image.

Those early adopters have played the 2k/4k game, and most now realize that aside from HDR, there isn't an enormous difference between a nicely up-rezzed image, as converted by one's high-end player, versus the same work as performed by a post house.

To me, this release is a benchmark, test bed, and in a way, proof of concept, for Fox has made the move, hopefully permanently, to use Dolby Atmos for the prime tracks on their 4k releases, as opposed to DTS.

The interesting thing here, and Ron Epstein brought it up, is that the Blu-ray audio is DTS MA 7.1, while the 4k audio is Dolby Atmos, but it's the difference between the two, as I've finally had the opportunity to compare, is enormous.

While you can hear it while listening to all channels, my means of comparison is to kill the main amp, and listen solely to the height channels.

The difference is exceedingly telling.

For those who already have the Deadpool 4k set, pick an example. Mine was the final fifteen minutes of the film.

Listen to the audio on the Blu-ray in DTS, and you'll find a wonderfully room-filling addition, as audio moves from the sides to the height channels. Music, effects, basically everything except dialogue.

Change discs, and once again listen carefully to the final fifteen minutes of the film.

As recorded during post, and reproduced via Dolby Atmos, we have only those portions of the audio stream that were designed by the recording artists to be heard in the height channels, and that audio is mostly effects, that hit specific speakers with pin-point accuracy.

No dialogue. No (or very little) music. And no dialogue.

Simply the audio as it was original recorded and meant to be heard.

So, beyond a terrifically entertaining film, which is decidedly not for young children, we have the perfect audio test disc, allowing a wonderful comparison of Dolby Atmos vs. DTS.

Once again, for those who have not yet upgraded to 4k, my recommendation is to purchase the 4k, and enjoy the Blu-ray for the moment, and for use on your older systems in the future.

A perfect, and wonderful release from Fox, that gives us 4k the way it should be seen and heard.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

Funny you should post this as I bought this 4K/UHD release even though I haven't upgraded my HT yet to that format. It's my first 4K/UHD purchase. I viewed this film four times in a Dolby Atmos movie theater so you can tell I love this film and agree with your audio comments.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH,

Funny you should post this as I bought this 4K/UHD release even though I haven't upgraded my HT yet to that format. It's my first 4K/UHD purchase. I viewed this film four times in a Dolby Atmos movie theater so you can tell I love this film and agree with your audio comments.

Wait until you have a chance to compare the audio tracks.

Totally different experiences.

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
I'm gonna have to disagree with you're complete assessment of deadpool Robert.

Myself and a few others were a little underwhelmed with the resolution considering it came from a 4k di, which to me means that inferior cameras were used at different times which then become upscaled on the final DI master. I thought almost all indoor scenes looked upscaled and outdoor scenes looked good but lacked the sharpness and texture that the other top movies have (revenant, Sicario, chappie, Smurfs 2). If you pop one of the above movies in immediately after, I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Color I thought was great, the red on the suit was very impressive. the suit itself seemed to be really the only thing that looked sharp and true 4k (except when he's indoors).

The dolby soundtrack though is what really impressed me. So much clean bass with every gun shot and every boom. Reference sound for sure.

Last edited:

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I purchased the 4K combo to be future proofed for this release. Still I'm only an HD tv watched and with my Panasonic plasma it is very very hard to find a 4K that gives my image quality with out odd compression issues I've seen with 4K sets in stores. I'm probably 3-4 years out for an upgrade by then quality should be better.

Having said that it really is a shame that those with Atmos setups are being punished by the studios like FOX.

Will be watching this tonite HD with DTS 7.1.

I also should add upgrading AVR and adding 4 speakers and Amps etc to be able to play Atmos was NOT cheap and Im not wealthy, but FOX and other arduous who choose to punish us early adopters of Atmos just because we aren't 4K TV ready yet won't help their sales and it doesn't hurt either. My setup is nice not cheap and I'm proud of it and I worked hard for it. I may have waited longer to do the upgrade had I known these exclusive mixes would have started occurring.

Last edited:

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Sorry Robert, but I'm a bit confused by your comments about the sound formats. Dolby Atmos 5.1? Did you mean 5.1.4 if there are height channels? And if they had a 7 channel track, why would Atmos be limited to 5? During the Atmos encoding process, isn't everything converted to objects? Doesn't the home processors work the same way as the theater CP850 in that it finds the speaker closest to where the sound is supposed to appear?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Atmos / DTS:X have no channels technically, hence object based sound. Channels only apply for how you the end user installs them.

Nice review RAH. I look forward to watching it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry Robert, but I'm a bit confused by your comments about the sound formats. Dolby Atmos 5.1? Did you mean 5.1.4 if there are height channels? And if they had a 7 channel track, why would Atmos be limited to 5? During the Atmos encoding process, isn't everything converted to objects? Doesn't the home processors work the same way as the theater CP850 in that it finds the speaker closest to where the sound is supposed to appear?

The final result can be .2 or .4, dependent upon room. I've not had a chance to check actual output. Packaging lists 5 for 4k, and 7 for Blu.

I'm seeking answers.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I'm gonna have to disagree with you're complete assessment of deadpool Robert.

Myself and a few others were a little underwhelmed with the resolution considering it came from a 4k di, which to me means that inferior cameras were used at different times which then become upscaled on the final DI master..
The film was shot on Alexa at 3.4K raw. This means a 4K DI will have about 3K of real detail since Alexa like most other digital cameras has a Bayer sensor. No match for real 4K from 6K as "The Revenant" has in some shots. Should look very nice and detailed nonetheless, just not full res 4K.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The film was shot on Alexa at 3.4K raw. This means a 4K DI will have about 3K of real detail since Alexa like most other digital cameras has a Bayer sensor. No match for real 4K from 6K as "The Revenant" has in some shots. Should look very nice and detailed nonetheless, just not full res 4K.

The reality of the situation, at least in home theater projection, comes down to focus accuracy and projector optics, which are far from stellar.

If one is viewing non-projection, I don't believe that one will see a difference on a 65" panel.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
The final result can be .2 or .4, dependent upon room. I've not had a chance to check actual output. Packaging lists 5 for 4k, and 7 for Blu.

I'm seeking answers.

I will watch it tonight and let you know but I have not had a Atmos/DTS:X track that hasn't used all 7.1.4 that I have configured. It is object based sound it will use whatever configuration you have to reproduce the track to it's fullest.

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
The reality of the situation, at least in home theater projection, comes down to focus accuracy and projector optics, which are far from stellar.

If one is viewing non-projection, I don't believe that one will see a difference on a 65" panel.

Sicario was also 3.4k with the Arri Alexa XT. Sicario was noticeably sharper and had better textures, easily visible on my 65".

The best part of deadpool was the suit itself. Looked great. Everything else I thought at times looked soft.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Tim Miller's Deadpool, with the wonderfully self-effacing Ryan Reynolds in the lead, is a delightful piece of entertainment, that never takes itself too seriously.

With a myriad of inside jokes, jabs at the Marvel Universe, and a healthy dose of ribald humor, the film is a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

From a technical perspective, Fox's new 4k UHD release is a marvel, no pun intended, for several reasons.

Most important, at least on the image side, is that it's a true 4k release, as opposed to a 2k up-rez, with HDR that adds to the black levels, color and density of the image.

Those early adopters have played the 2k/4k game, and most now realize that aside from HDR, there isn't an enormous difference between a nicely up-rezzed image, as converted by one's high-end player, versus the same work as performed by a post house.

To me, this release is a benchmark, test bed, and in a way, proof of concept, for Fox has made the move, hopefully permanently, to use Dolby Atmos for the prime tracks on their 4k releases, as opposed to DTS.

The interesting thing here, and Ron Epstein brought it up, is that the Blu-ray audio is DTS MA 7.1, while the 4k audio is Dolby Atmos 5.1, but it's the difference between the two, as I've finally had the opportunity to compare, is enormous.

While you can hear it while listening to all channels, my means of comparison is to kill the main amp, and listen solely to the height channels.

The difference is exceedingly telling.

For those who already have the Deadpool 4k set, pick an example. Mine was the final fifteen minutes of the film.

Listen to the audio on the Blu-ray in DTS, and you'll find a wonderfully room-filling addition, as audio moves from the sides to the height channels. Music, effects, basically everything except dialogue.

Change discs, and once again listen carefully to the final fifteen minutes of the film.

As recorded during post, and reproduced via Dolby Atmos, we have only those portions of the audio stream that were designed by the recording artists to be heard in the height channels, and that audio is mostly effects, that hit specific speakers with pin-point accuracy.

No dialogue. No (or very little) music. And no dialogue.

Simply the audio as it was original recorded and meant to be heard.

So, beyond a terrifically entertaining film, which is decidedly not for young children, we have the perfect audio test disc, allowing a wonderful comparison of Dolby Atmos vs. DTS.

Once again, for those who have not yet upgraded to 4k, my recommendation is to purchase the 4k, and enjoy the Blu-ray for the moment, and for use on your older systems in the future.

A perfect, and wonderful release from Fox, that gives us 4k the way it should be seen and heard.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH
As far as 4k, and this maybe a stupid question, can a 4k player work on an older TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As far as 4k, and this maybe a stupid question, can a 4k player work on an older TV.

Yes, it should. If your TV isn't 4K, you won't get the benefits of the 4K player though. It's like plugging a Blu-ray player into an SD TV... it'll work, but you won't get the full resolution on the disc.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Ok. Thanks atleast its a start. I still have a Tosheba Regza from 2008, so I dont think its 4k but at least the player will be a start.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I will watch it tonight and let you know but I have not had a Atmos/DTS:X track that hasn't used all 7.1.4 that I have configured. It is object based sound it will use whatever configuration you have to reproduce the track to it's fullest.

Doing a bit of due diligence, Dolby Atmos will not be listed a anything other than Atmos, based upon its configurability to your system. The audio is set during recording to a specific x / y axis, and reproduced wherever your speakers may be, and in whatever number.

As I understand it, DTS is still channel based, and from what I've perceived in listening, it pulls the front sides and side surrounds upward, toward creating something certainly more room-filled, but without the finesse of Atmos.

RAH

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
DTS:X, however, is supposed to be the same as Atmos (well, not identical of course, but object, rather than channel, based). I suspect the non 4K disc has standard DTS MA-HD audio and not DTS:X.

As to the idea of plugging in a 4K player to a non 4K TV, would there not be some colour benefit, even without the full experience? Perhaps my eyes deceive me (and that could certainly be the case) but I have a Blu-ray player hooked up to an SD CRT (long story) and I've compared DVD and BD versions of the same movie (from the same combo pack, not many years earlier DVD releases) and I'd swear the colours look nicer with the BD. Not a huge difference (nor would I expect one) but one nonetheless.

If the price of this release is similar to the gap on The Revenant, I'll likely "future proof" my purchase. However, I am some time from updating my display, so the gap better not be too big (for me--I would never presume to judge value for anyone else).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks