A Few Words About A few words about...™ Aeon Flux -- in High Definition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Karyn Kusama's Aeon Flux would normally be a film that I wouldn't consider viewing. But two elements came into play that sparked my interest. First, the cast, led by Charlize Theron, and second, the fact that it is part of Paramount's second release of HD discs. I'm assuming there that must have been a reason for this.

While the film may not go down in the annals of cinema history as a modern classic, even with Ms. Theron giving her role great effort, what did come across as I was viewing the disc is how we have moved another generational step in the moving visual sciences.

To say that we've come a long way from the "flickers" doesn't begin to tell the story.

Aeon Flux, with a reported budget of 62 million dollars, is a visual feast, accentuated by the fact that it has taken a step further, even beyond the "it looks like film" moniker.

Aeon Flux is the first HD-DVD to catch my eye as being something other than, or beyond the film experience.

If one compares a classic 70mm presentation to its 35mm counterpart, the most obvious point will be the finely grained image structure, higher quality color and black levels, and greater overall image stability.

Paramount's HD version of Aeon Flux has all of these elements, but has taken them further on the home theater screen. Projected via 2k, the image takes on a grainless, velvety sheen and a rock-steadiness.

Is the storyline a bit contrived? Certainly.

Do I really care, after seeing the quality of the image? Not really.

Totally suspend disbelief, go along with the tale, but more than anything, look at the image and think about precisely how far we have come since those "flickers" hit the screen over 110 years ago.

A beautifully rendered HD-DVD and Recommended for its stunning visual quality.

RAH

2. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Thanks Robert

I'd love to take a look at this title. Even though the story is so-so, I've found it visually appealing.

Mike

3. Xavier Roy-Bois

Thank you Mr Harris for such a delightful review !

I was very eager to see your review of this hd-dvd for his visual quality alone and you didn"t disappoint me !

On a scale of 10 I think you could put 11 for this title .

The movie is not the greatest but come on THIS IS THIS KIND OF STUFF THAT WILL SELL HD HARDWARE !!!

AMAZING !

4. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

The disc has been applauded from many corners (super sharp etc.). Since the film was was shot on Super35 like many other films the question arises: Why would it look any 'better' than all the others? Any ideas?

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There is nothing inherently problematic with Super 35. During the optical (extraction) process it does pick up grain.

We have no idea from what the video master or data file was taken. It may have come from an Oneg.

6. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

I'll have to give it a spin...thanks for the report.

7. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i'm curious monsuier harris, do you have a big screen to view these HD discs on?

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Can you say;
    "EYE CANDY"???
    I knew you could!!!

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I received this one free from a friend of my wife who bought it by mistake and I have to admit it is one terrific looking movie, BUT this was an earlier SD rental and I'm having a hard time getting all the way through it again. But it is nice to have when I upgrade the projector in the HT.

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just watched this last night (it was one of my "freebies" that I had not gotten around to watching as I'd seen it before, albeit on SD DVD). I must concur that this is jaw-droppingly good looking--even those parts that DON'T have Charlize Theron in it. [​IMG] I will certainly use it to "show off" the system to people who might wonder what all the fuss over HDM is about.

11. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Good looking film, but still kinda bad. "Aeon Flux" and "Ultraviolet"... oh boy..

12. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I can put up with a fair amount of "bad" for the level of "eye candy" it provides. Haven't seen Ultraviolet, though, so I can't speak to that one.

13. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

This flick is so bad I was ill for a week after watching it. Not even RAH's glowing endorsement can make me even think about watching Aeon Flux ever again.

14. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Wow. Mediocre, perhaps, but enough to make you ill? Then I'd STRONGLY suggest staying away from The Blair Witch Project (I still want those 81 minutes of my life back)--a film that makes Aeon Flux look like Lawrence of Arabia by comparison as a cinematic achievement.

15. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Aeon Flux is good, trashy fun, and it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty. No guilt in this pleasure; I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.