A couple Sonosub Q's

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by FredC, Oct 28, 2003.

1. FredC

FredC Extra

I'm getting closer to finally building my sonosub. I have a Stryke AV15 and will be powering it with a Rythmik 380w amp. I haven't been able to run the programs on a sonosub to get the size and port length to tune it properly as they seem to all be for boxes? But I had posted here and on Stryke's forum for recommendations for a mostly movies application. John at Stryke suggested a 43" long 24 inch tube, with 22" long flared 6" port. This should tune to 18hz. So I believe I will need 46" of tube, to compensate for the 1.5" endcap depth, bt should I also figure that into the PVC tube lenght for the port? Should I add an extra 1.5" to the 22" that was suggested?

One more question on Mounting the amp. Most of the desighns I have seen have the amp in a separate box connected through a terminal cup. I was thinking of mounting it to the side of the sonotube with a flush mounted enclosure screwed to the tube. Will this work? I don't know how much airflow the amp needs and if it will get too hot if it is in a small box with some air holes.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Fred

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

All the measurements/dimensions calculated by software programs produce are 'net', not 'gross' measurements. As a result one must compensate for things inside the tube ie, endcaps, drivers, ports, etc.

Port lengths are a total length, so if mounted behind the endcaps one subtracts the thickness of the wood. IOW don't exceed the stated 22" length regardless of the construction/mounting technique.

Re the amp, do a search, there was a thread about mounting amps on tube subs not too long ago

3. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

check out mine
    warrick

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. FredC

FredC Extra

Thanks all for the clarifications. I hope that mine comes out near as nice as some of the ones I've seen her, and I'll be happy.