What's new

94% of game sales were digital worldwide in 2022 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Just throwing this out there, but emulation has basically already covered the Switch. Either Nintendo will make their games available on future platforms through ports/emulation or the internet will take care of it. Game preservation, legal or not, will continue.
True, and I'm considering a steam deck like portable for the emulation of consoles I don't own. As a collector though, it's nice to own product that works but I'd be surprised if even PS3 discs works out of the gate when you first put them in.

On the switch I bought quite a few of the classic game packs and enjoy them. I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy Pixel Art this year too. Speaking of which, anyone who's played the "Sega Ages" version of Phantasy Star on the Switch will know how great quality of life upgrades for these can be.

There's countless old apple II games and what not that don't seem to be anywhere either legally or boot. I'm not sure I ever saw a Vic 20 rom either but boy did I play Omega Race and Gorf on it to death lol.

I got a PS5 (purchased) for current games, a Switch (free with airmiles points) for Nintendo games and a backlog going back years. I'm good for a decade+ with never purchasing a game again provided the gear holds up.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
True, and I'm considering a steam deck like portable for the emulation of consoles I don't own. As a collector though, it's nice to own product that works but I'd be surprised if even PS3 discs works out of the gate when you first put them in.

On the switch I bought quite a few of the classic game packs and enjoy them. I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy Pixel Art this year too. Speaking of which, anyone who's played the "Sega Ages" version of Phantasy Star on the Switch will know how great quality of life upgrades for these can be.

There's countless old apple II games and what not that don't seem to be anywhere either legally or boot. I'm not sure I ever saw a Vic 20 rom either but boy did I play Omega Race and Gorf on it to death lol.

I got a PS5 (purchased) for current games, a Switch (free with airmiles points) for Nintendo games and a backlog going back years. I'm good for a decade+ with never purchasing a game again provided the gear holds up.
Archive.org has a TON of the stuff you're looking for. It's legally a library so it's allowed to host ROMs and copies of old software. I can almost guarantee that the Apple II and Vic 20 games you would want can be found there.

I got a Steam Deck last year and have really been getting into it, both for emulation as well as modern PC games. There's a ton of resources out there for it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Preservation of current/last gen to me isn't really a worry to me.

2023 has me focused on more physical retro gaming. My true passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks