What's new

7.2 Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

GermainW

Grip
Would like to know what you folks think of the speaker placement for our new HT:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/germain_w...c=ph%26.view=t
Room size: 25' by 17' (rear of room raised by 1.5')
Front Speakers: B&W 802's
Center Speaker: B&W NHTM1
Side Surrounds: Revel S30 (Dipoles)
Rear Surrounds: B&W SCM1 (Direct-firing)
Subwoofer: Revel Performa B15 (pair)
There will be two rows of (sofa) seating. Back row seats 7, and is on a raised platform about 1.5' high. Front (MAIN sitting area) seats 5, and is about 15' away from a 123" screen.
An A/V cabinet (height: 2") sits at the edge of the raised platform, between the two rows of sofa. (see pic)
My main concern has to do with placement of the surrounds:
1). With 2 rows of seating and with the back row on a raised platform, where and how high should the side surrounds be hung? (Since the main sitting area will be the front row, should I move the side surrounds up towards the front a little bit? I have another foot or so before I reach the two glass doors...)
2). Also, it concerns me that people sitting in the back row will have the rear surround directly behind/above their heads (as the back row sofa is practically against the back wall). Will this be a problem? Should there be some room between the rear speakers and the back-row seating?
3). All comments welcome... (indeed, needed). ;)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have a very simular set as yours but a bit smaller. I have a 12x24 room with two rows of seating (couches). I am also running a "7.2" in my case is a EX/Es set up with two rear centers and two front located sups. But it all depends on what surround speakers you are using, a list of your speakers would help others give you some Ideas.

Click on the house above to see my theater, If I were you I woud try to give your self at least 3 to 4 feet on the rear seating from the EX channel.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Opps, I must have just zoomed right acrossed your Eqip. list. Well I would say if your front couch is going to be the main seating I would place the side surrounds directly at or sightly behind the front row of seating. With dipoles on the sides and the rear seating against the back wall there is no good way to get a good L/R surround back there unless you run two pairs of surround L/R IMHO. The EX speakers also would be a problem with the rear seating so close to the back wall. If you mounted them up high the rear seating would miss most of the EX effects. Now scoot the rear couch up a few feet and the rear seating will have some great surround action.

I find in my theater the rear couch has turned out to be the main seating, not sure why just every one tends to sit there.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks