What's new

5000 Fingers of Dr. T removed song verse. (1 Viewer)

There is a verse that has been removed from the Dungeon Song according to Wikipedia among other sites. The verse is as follows: "THIRD FLOOR DUNGEON Household appliances. Spike beds, electric chairs, gas chambers, roasting pots, and scalping devices." Wikipedia also claims that it was in the original film but "edited out for the re-release and television runs of the film and also the current restoration for DVD release of the film." It does not, however, list a source for this information. I believe the verse was written and probably filmed because there were three floors before you reached the bottom dungeon and the editing looks like something may have been removed. However there doesn't appear to be any break in the music. I also wonder if there was any re-release of the film since it was a financial flop. It also seems doubtful that they would remove it for video release and re-edit the music to make it as smooth as it is. If I had to guess, I would guess that the verse was filmed but was deemed to gruesome and removed before its initial release.
Does anyone have any information on this?

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
There is a recent 3 CD set issued by Film Score Monthly (FSM Vol 13 No 16), which has the complete score plus composer sketches by Frederick Hollander. This set has the verse you mention (disc 2/track1) included.
Well worth getting hold of a copy if you are a Dr T completist!
Hope this helps.
Alistair

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
All it says in the liner notes is as follows: "The third verse of the elevator song was cut from the finished film" (The elevator operator who sings it was Alan Aric.)
Alistair

Thanks. I would take that to mean the Wikipedia was wrong and that it was never released with the third verse.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua
are there any plans to bring this title to Blu-ray?
This might be perfect for Twilight Time, since they've done so many of the Columbia musicals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks