What's new

5-disc "Blade Runner"/"Harry Potter" sets (Blu-ray/HD DVD) coming (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

I like that idea!

But honestly, only charging $5.00 more for a 5 disc BD (or HDdvd) than the 4 disc regular dvd...? And even to GET the 5 disc version in SD, you MUST pony up the dough for that case!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

But it´s already listed in the Amazon site with either $39.99 or $69.95. You can already pre-order them. Why this speculation?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Because the price doesn't correlate with previously released Blu-ray or HD DVD titles that contained about the same number of discs and bonus materials. I, too, would like to know whether it's safe to order the 5-disc Complete Collector's Edition or whether I'll have to pony up for the briefcase.

Incidentally, can anyone point me to a product page at Amazon.com for the 5-disc Complete Collector's Edition on HD DVD? It seems that there is only a Blu-ray version available for preorder at this point.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link, but that's the Ultimate Edition (briefcase) version. I was looking for this page which the Amazon search didn't show when I posted earlier. It's almost too cheap to believe.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've been hemming and hawing over pre-ordering the BR version. I finally did, figuring I can always cancel when the final specs come out. The info from the Bits helps a lot.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I don't really care. For $27 all that matters to me is that the main film is in HD, everything else is gravy.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
^You're welcome to your opinion, but I strongly disagree. I would gladly pay more for all the cuts in HD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Count my vote for all versions in HD.

And the more bonus material in HD... the better. Documentaries are some of the best 1080 there is... I can't see why so many people play the "who cares" card with HD extras. Sure, I'd rather have them SD then not at all... but give me my bonus material in HD. Blu-ray (50GB) usually has the space for it.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Documentaries in 1080 are so refreshing, when for years, even sets chock full o'goodness were presenting their extras in 4:3 or non-anamorphic crapvision. Its not a deal breaker, but HD extras would be sweet, and forward-thinking of the production team.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious.

I've noticed a geneal split, that often HD DVD enthusiasts say they don't care about HD extras, where BD consumers say that they do. My assumption is that this split is because HD DVD might not be able to offer HD extras as frequently due to less disc space and so HD DVD enthusiasts are less likely to prioritize HD bonus material lest it push an agenda for "more space" (ala 50GB BD).

When folks say that they do or don't care about HD extras, it would be interesting if you could also mention your HD format of choice. This isn't to get into a debate... just to see if there is indeed a trend like I think I've noticed in other threads.

thanks!

dave

p.s. I'll start:

I care about HD extras (not a deal breaker, but I'd rather them in HD). I prefer BD.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Well, before HD my "general policy" with the SD DVDs was simple: Get the "best" version - with the best set of extra-features, DTS, etc. That´s why I have DVDs from all over the world (I was region free literally from day one when I bought my first DVD-player, now several years ago). Since I live in Europe, all DVD-players and TV-sets are both NTSC/PAL straight from the store, so that also helped.

So - I support Blu-ray and I´m a big fan of the extras. One reason why I like the format is the added capacity etc. Ironic thing here of course is, that it was the HD DVD-format that supported extras from day one, while Blu-ray didn´t at first (still lacking in some cases, e.g. "Top Gun"). I feel that this is now changing and I mainly blame the certain studios (lack of extras), not "Blu-ray".

So yes, nothing has changed from the SD DVD-days: I want extras! :)

Edit: Whether the extras should be in SD or in HD is a tricky question. Of course I would prefer HD based extras, but in all fairness the transfer/audio should be the nr.1 priority. So I can live with SD extras also in some cases. So in that sense: Please keep all the extras from the DVD, even if they´re in SD.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I care about quality extras, like we will get from this Blade Runner set. Hell yes i want the extras in HD. I want the deleted scenes in HD too! At the very least i like deleted scenes in anamorphic widescreen. I know ive seen some of these things as video with counter times running at the bottom, but most newer movies the original film elements survive. Now as far as fluff extras. I could care less if an HBO making of is included on most titles. Commentaries are 50/50 for me. if all they do is say things like, "here i am walking into the room now", then once again i wont waste my time listening to it. I own a Blu-ray player, but i am an old laser disc guy. Me and good extras go way back.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I will say that if they put the extras in HD I am more likely to watch them. Unless they are really compelling SD content (like the SD documentary on Blood Diamond) I will most generally skip them (or go through them fast.)

Like I said, it's nice to have HD extras, but not particularly important for me, especially at this price. If you want to pay more, go right ahead. That option (in this case) is certainly available to you.

I have BLU if it matters.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

In the number of forums I read, I haven't found this to be the case. HD DVD-only IME is often the subject, and its the BD users who claim to not be bothered about extras.

To date, I'm not sure there's been one release on both platforms where the HD DVD has been penalized for lack of space. It did look like "Face/Off" was going to be the first, but now it appears to be a full-featured 2-disc set after all.

However, when it appeared that the blu disc had more features, I found myself for the first time in the position of wondering whether to get the HD DVD now, or wait until I was format neutral and get the BD with added features. I think I probably would have just picked up the HD DVD unless I knew my going blu was imminent.

Anyway - I'm HD DVD, and I do like extras.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
If the extras are available in HD thats cool, but it won't stop me from buying a title. Considering that Bullitt had 2 feature length documentaries on it in HD I think the space issue on HD DVD is a non issue for most 2 hour movies.

Also for many movies the extra features won't be in HD because the behind the scenes crew didn't shoot in HD. For much older films the behind the scenes were shot on 16mm. Now of course 16 can look better than NTSC on HD but that is only if great care was taking in shooting the footage, and low speed film stock was used. This is not typically the case when you are shooting a behind the scenes documentary where you will be in a mix of indoor and outdoor lighting.

I buy both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Doug

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I think the concern about the pricing is sue to the weird discrepancies in the different prices for the different sets.

The 5 disc BD and HDdvd non briefcase sets are only $5.00 more than the 4 disc SD sets, yet the briefcase BD and HDdvd set is $21.06 more then the briefcase SD set. (MSRP of course...) Why is the BD, HDdvd briefcase set SO disproportionate?

The Briefcase SD set lists for $44.00 more than the regular SD set, plus you get the 5th disc.

The Briefcase HD set lists for $60.00 more(!) than the regular HD set and the disc amount is the same...!

That's why some are concerned. BIG price discrepancy for just the case and goodies with the same amount of discs for the HD sets....

Or put it this way, the SD set with the briefcase and 5th disc is about 2 and a 1/4 times the cost of the 4 disc SD set. And with the briefcase you also get the 5th disc which is unavailable otherwise.
The Briefcase HD set with NO extra disc to sweeten the deal is 2 and a 1/2 times more than just the 5 disc HD set. That's a big difference...

SD sets

$34.99 - $78.92 (and you get a 5th disc too)

Hd sets

$39.99 - $99.98 (same amount of discs in each...)

So, if the prices are indeed correct, WB is REALLY gouging the HD owners who want the case. $60.00 more without that extra disc to sweeten the deal...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Hey guys,

specifically, the question was do you want your bonus material *in high defintition*, not just if you like extras or not.

thanks!

dave :)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
David, my preference is for as much extra material as possible to be in HD. I'm format independent, but I prefer Blu-ray Disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks