What's new

5-disc "Blade Runner"/"Harry Potter" sets (Blu-ray/HD DVD) coming (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
What if it's only the new cut in HD and the other 4 discs are all sd..?
Could happen..

:frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
they must know they could charge alot more than this for 5 HD discs!
The WB title "The Departed" lists for $34.95, the HDdvd combo for $39.95 and that's for ONE disc...!

Something is awry. Either the price IS totally wrong and will be more like $59.99 list or I'll bet that most of these discs will be SD, like in The Matrix ultimate collection where all the extras were SD.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't care if the extras are SD as long as the 4 or 5 cuts of the movie, or however many there are, are in HD.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The price for the complete set isn't wrong. Warners own web store lists for the same. (it actually comes to about $24 with their discount code)

I've had concerns for a while that they'd skimp on this and all the film versions wouldn't be in HD. I hope I was wrong and Warner is just giving us a really good price and we're all being paranoid.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
:confused: I'm confused... So the Ultimate Collectors Edition is the set with all films in HD but the Complete Collectors Edition is just the main film in HD?? Or is the Ultimate only the addition of the brief case? :confused:

Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] ~ Harrison Ford, Sean Young, and Rutger Hauer (Blu-ray - 2007) Buy new: $99.98 $69.95 Available for Pre-order

Blade Runner (Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] ~ Harrison Ford, Sean Young, and Rutger Hauer (Blu-ray - 2007) Buy new: $39.99 $27.95 Available for Pre-order

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Also be careful if you are ordering the Complete Collector's Edition from Amazon as they are not applying the additional 10% discount for those eligible. However they do apply it against the Ultimate edition.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

****Ultimate Collector's Edition, in Unique Limited 'Deckard Briefcase,'
also Available in HD DVD & Blu-ray Disc****:

The 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition includes everything from the previously described 4-Disc Edition, plus the ultra-rare, near-legendary WORKPRINT version of the film, newly remastered. The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase, in addition each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, collector's photographs as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott.

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM

Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also includes:

- Commentary by Ridley Scott

- Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber

- Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY - DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

A feature-length authoritative documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film -- from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its controversial legacy and place in Hollywood history.

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION

This is the version that introduced U.S. movie-going audiences to a revolutionary film with a new and excitingly provocative vision of the near-future. It contains Deckard/Harrison Ford's character narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION

Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

The Director's Cut omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famously-controversial "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

Disc Four
BONUS DISC - "Enhancement Archive"

- Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
- Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
- Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
- The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
- Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
- Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
- Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
- Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
- Unit Photography Gallery
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes
- 1982 Promotional Featurettes
- Trailers & TV Spots
- Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
- Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)
- Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
- Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION

This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Batty (Rutger Hauer) and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more.

Also includes:

- Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
- Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut"

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The "Ultimate set" is with the briefcase and all the goodies. The regular BD or HDdvd set without only has a $39.99 list price currently which is only $5.00 more than the 4 disc SDdvd set which makes me worry.

I haven't seen ANYTHING that says all the versions will be in HD.
Honestly, how can they charge so little...? Shoot, how much was "The Matrix" set again...?

List was $99.99 for only 3 HDdvd discs and that's also WB.

The Complete Matrix Trilogy [HD DVD]
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss Director: Andy Wachowski Rating R

List Price: $99.99
Price: $63.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $36.04 (36%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

That's why I think it's either a pricing mistake or only one, maybe 2 discs will be HD. A $39.99 list price for 5 BD or HDdvd discs sounds just off.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I would certainly hope that a 5-disc Blu-ray or HD DVD set contains high-definition encodes of the 4-versions of the films. I think with all the discussion about this at the comic con that Bill Hunt just attended, somebody would have sniffed out some word if the plan was to present some of those films in SD-only even on the HD sets.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it would make sense. But how can they charge so little? If it were just amazon, I'd guess it's an error but WB's own site is selling the HD 5 disc sets for $29.99 too!

:0

Mike.P

Second Unit
Courtesy of Bill Hunt @ The Digital Bits - I e-mailed them last night. :)

"In the meantime, with all of the MAJOR news announcements of the last couple of days, there have been a lot of follow-up questions. So I've been busy calling and e-mailing studio contacts to get answers to as many of them as I can (though after EMA and Comic-Con, many of them are out of the office this week). Chief among these, is will all of the versions of the film and all of the special features on the HD versions of Blade Runner be in actual 1080, or will they be like Warner's Matrix releases... films only in HD and extras in SD. Now, I've been told that at the very least all of the different versions of the film itself will be in 1080. And I know that all of the video extras - the documentary, etc - are being mastered in 1080. The question is whether or not the disc capacities of HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc will allow for everything to be included in 1080 (the Blu-rays at least should have plenty of room, and I would think the HD-DVDs would too) and then whether Warner will actually do it or not. As soon as I know, you will. A lot of this comes up, because Amazon has posted SRPs for both the Blu-ray (5-disc Regular) and HD-DVD (5-disc Regular) versions of the title at just $39.99 each, with a sale price of $27.95 each. And in addition to the regular 5-disc HD versions, you'll also be able to buy both the Blu-ray (5-disc Limited) and HD-DVD (5-disc Limited) versions packed in the cool replica VK briefcase with all the swag. Amazon says those are $99.98 each, on sale for $69.95 (you can click on the links to pre-order them now). Some people think the prices for the regular versions in particular are too low for all the extras to be in full HD. But as soon as Warner gets back to me, I'll let you guys all know what the deal is. Let's all just cross our fingers and hope that Warner won't skimp on the HD extras on this set."

Sounds like we are safe.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Maybe they are being altruistic? Or maybe it really doesn't cost all that much to make these discs after all. Maybe they just figured out that they ripped everyone off with the Matrix sets! :crazy:

Doug

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Thanks for the clarification and I agree the pricing is very strange.

If Bill Hunt is right and all the versions of the film are in HD then my next fear is how are they going to accomplish this? Will Warner cram them all onto one disc as separate encodings, do some seamless branching trickery, or is this truly the bargain of the century (i.e. multiple discs)? I guess we'll have to wait to hear what else Bill finds out... *crosses fingers*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks