What's new

5.1 system $1000-$1500 recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Chad VE

Auditioning
First time post - be gentle. I've searched the threads at this forum for the last few days and am overwhelmed by the number of choices.

I just purchased a HK AVR630 to pair with my Sony 40xbr700 in my medium-sized living room with hard-wood floors. Now I need to find speakers ASAP. Any recommendations for a 5.1 setup in the $1000-$1500 price ranges? I don't want a satellite system and would prefer floorstanding fronts since I do listen to music about 20% of the time and stereo music doesn't seem to play very well through satellites. Silver or light maple enclosures would be ideal (wife's aesthetics) but black would be fine.

I look forward to your responses -thanks!

george king

Supporting Actor
Chad,

Welcome, and I hope we can be of help. First, in your budget, it is going to be difficult to get a good 5.1 system with floorstanders. You may want to seriously reconsider that. If you want to rethink it, then I would suggest contacting Brian Bunge at Link Removed to build you something.

If you want floorstanders then I would suggest,

Kef Q3 fronts
Kef Q1 surrounds
Kef Q9 center
Hsu sub

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Chad,

I just got Paradigm Monitor 7's for fronts, cc370 for center, and minimonitor's for rears for $1200. Albeit, it is only a 5.0 system but so far it is really nice (i can't say it is awesome yet, because i only got it yesterday and haven't been able to play with it much):frowning: ...i am sure i will being saying it is awesome after a week when everything is optimized.

Mike

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Not sure what light maple is like, but the HTD level 3s are on backorder. They've reduced the prices on the Level 4s to 1499 for the mappa burl veneer and 1349 for the black piano gloss finish.

Ooops...nevermind. Those prices were for the "Combo X" -- with bookshelves. The "Combo Y" speakers are 1799 and 1649, respectively for the mappa and black.

I just noticed that the site stated that shipping is never over $45. That's great to see :)

Joshua_M

Agent
I am in the same price range and considering...

PSB Image Series B-Stock
5T Fronts ~$500
2B Surrounds ~$250
9C Center ~$250

from
http://www.yawaonline.com/imageseries.html

I will be getting the SVS PB2, but you can get a cheaper SVS or HSU sub for ~500 and be right at your budget.

Mind you I have not heard these but apparently the 5T's get excellent reviews. I am heading out this weekend to give them a listen, I will post back what I think.

Chad VE

Auditioning
The more and more I look into this, the more I'm willing to pay for speakers. I foresee a dangerous road ahead.

Any suggestions/warnings about a KEF set up? Say KEF Q7 floorstanders, a Q9c center, and either Q1/Q2ds surrounds. Those look pretty damn nice. Would I necessarily need a sub with these floorstand units?

The KEFs seem to be sold online at a few places I've never heard of (Authentic Home Theatre, 1BestBuy Electronics, Soundpros, Downtown Audio). Has anybody heard anything negative about these shops?

george king

Supporting Actor
Chad,

I used to own Kef speakers for a long time until i went DIY. The Q7s are very nice speakers, and the center is great for the money. I prefer direct raditors for the surrounds and would go with the Q1s. Where are you located and do you have an Ulitmate Electronics near you. That way you can listen and get an idea as to the sound.

As to a sub. If you want deep bass, you will still need one. They are rated to 35 Hz which is a bit optimistic. However with the room gain, you might get to 30 Hz which is ok for most types of music, but not great for movies.

I love the Kef sound. That said, do not under any circumstances buy one of their subwoofers. They are not very good for the money spent.

Hope this helps.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The KEFs seem to be sold online at a few places I've never heard of (Authentic Home Theatre, 1BestBuy Electronics, Soundpros, Downtown Audio). Has anybody heard anything negative about these shops?
To my knowledge NONE of these are authorized dealers which means no warranty. TO me the little savings isn't worth no warranty. To each their own. I do like the KEF sound.

Another option is to listen to Energy specifically the Coinesseur Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks