What's new

3d films on DVD (1 Viewer)

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
If there is another thread concerning this, please post it. I searched and came up with nothing.

I'm wondering about what 3D films are available on DVD. I'm not looking for IMAX type things, but movies. Also, how good is the 3d effect when using a digial projector onto a screen? Also, do the cheap red/blue glasses work with projected 3d dvds or are the more expensive type needed?

Thanks in advance,
ShaunS

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There are a lot of threads on this subject. Search on "3-D movies", "field sequential 3-D" etc. You should be able to find all kinds of info by searching rather than us going over it all again.

If you eliminate all of the IMAX and documentary movies, there isn't much on DVD. I'll list the features that are out on legit DVD below, though a lot of gray market stuff is also out there. I haven't listed titles released only on VHS.

The red/blue anaglyph format isn't good, and most of the titles were not seen that way theatrically and are badly compromised in the conversion process. They can be viewed with a simple pair of paper glasses. Naturally field sequential glasses provide a much better effect, but the glasses and sets ups start at $30 or so.

THE BUBBLE (1966) (anaglyph conversion)
COMIN'AT YA! (1981) (anaglyph conversion)
SPY KIDS 3-D (2003) (anaglyph conversion)
SPY KIDS 3-D (2003) (Sensio version, similar to field sequential but requires expensive equipment)
THE CREEPS (1997) (field sequential)
AMITYVILLE 3-D (1983) anaglyph conversion (R2 DVD)
THE GROOVE ROOM (1975) anaglyph
FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE (1991) anaglyph sequence
WILDCAT WOMEN (anaglyph)
THE PLAYMATES (anaglyph)
BLONDE EMMANUELLE (anaglyph)
M3D! THE MOVIE (anaglyph)
EMMANUELLE IV (anaglyph conversion, R2 DVD only)
THE FOUR DIMENSIONS OF GRETA (anaglyph sequences, R2 DVD only)

By Christmas, ADVENTURES OF SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL will likely be on DVD in anaglyph form and probably also in the superior Sensio format at some point too.

THE STEWARDESSES (1968) is also in the works for DVD and is planned to contain field sequential and anaglyph transfers in the same package.

A few shot on video 3-D movies are also out there with titles like EYES OF THE WEREWOLF, CAMP BLOOD 1 and 2, ZOMBIE CHRONICHLES, HUNTING SEASON, etc. These are true 3-D but amateur stuff. There are also others that are flat film processed for use with glasses (don't ask me why, cause it doesn't turn them into 3-D) to watch out for and avoid.

A bunch of features weregiven a legit release in field sequnetial 3-D years ago in Japan on VHD videodisc, too, so if you can track down a player and movies you could add those to your collection. Stuff like JAWS 3-D, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3, SPACEHUNTER, METALSTORM, STARCHASER, EMMANUELLE IV, VENUS, HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, COMIN' AY YA!, etc.

jon_farthing

Agent
At Disneyworld / Universal they have plenty of 3D attractions which just use clear(ish) glasses. The effect seemed to be pretty good. Is there any reason this 3D format is not used for home viewing?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, because it uses the concept of polarized light, filters, and special lenses on the projector(s) as well as a required silver screen. It wouldn't be practical at all for home use. This polarized, clear glasses format is what has been used for the majority 3-D movies for the past 50 years, but isn't easy even for theatres.

Field Sequential format, with shutter glasses, is the closest approximation to polarized 3-D at home. It isn't perfect, but the results are much closer to the mark than the usually terrible red/blue anaglyph conversion versions. The glasses and systems start at just $30, so it isn't that expensive to get started if you are interested.

The only benefit anaglyph has is that *no* special equipment is needed to watch it other than the cardboard glasses. Mostly kids are the only ones who can stand it for movies though.

Allan Sill

Auditioning
Hi, There is a good low cost way to see 3D on your HD/ht
system. You don't get to use the 9 cent paper glasses the
Hollywood studios give away. You'll have to spend a whole two dollars. These permanent, acrylic plastic glasses will
greatly increase your viewing experience. There is a higher tech formula for the basic color (anaglyph) glasses called
Anachrome, which reduces the eyestrain to almost nothing,
while giving much better color range and skin tones. This
is acheived by passing Red through the Blue/Green filter
so that the color is taken in by both eyes and mixed in the brain. I saw a Warners/Anachrome test of the 3D classic
"Kiss Me Kate". It was light years better than they look
with paper glasses. The paper glasses made the costune of
Dancer/Singer Ann Miller go blue in the right eye. With the
new formula, Anachromes, she was dancing in hot pink in both eyes. I don't think something so simple has ever
changed 3D viewing so much for so little. If the studios go
with this technology all kinds of CGI Animation and CGI
special effects will look great in 3D on our big Home Theater screen...And wait 'til Blu-Ray of HD DVD are available...Wow!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Allan, I have to admit the anachrome glasses do allow *far* more normal color to show through than the typical gel/paper type do, especially with material on the anachrome website; the pics on there look excellent with the anachrome glasses.

I plan to bring along a pair to see the anaglyph version of SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL next month to use in comparison with the paper ones they hand out. I'd assume the effect would be even better if the prints were processed with Anachrome in mind though.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help everyone. One other question (perhaps better suited for another forum but related none the less):

What about films on 16mm? Do the cheap red/blue glasses work at all on that format? I ask because my film society are thinking about bringing in a 16mm print of It Came From Outer Space but don't have the money for anything other than paper glasses.

ShaunS

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The 16mm prints of It Came from Outer Space and Creature from the Black Lagoon are in anaglyph format, so the red/blue glasses are what you'd use. The results are just barely okay if the print is perfect and the projector is bright enough. Just be sure that the print was struck since the mid-1980s, however. Any print struck before then will have color fading and the process will not work at all.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Of those two anaglyph 16mm prints, I'd say CREATURE works a lot better than IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. I've seen both of these in both 16mm and 35mm anaglyph revivals and SPACE doesn't come off as well in the conversion to anaglyph. The Super 8mm home versions are hit and miss, too.

As Peter said, make sure it is a fairly new print, and then screen it absolute darkness. A few years ago, they tried to show a 16mm SPACE outdoors in a park in Las Vegas, and it was impossible to see anything at all most of the time.

In contast, the original polarized clear glasses versions are both quite effective...that is really the only way to see these in 3-D.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, guys. It's greatly appreciated.

I've got a source for a 2004 16mm print of It Came From Outer Space in 3d. I've got a Bell & Howell 1592 projector with a 250W lamp. Any idea if this would be adequate?

ShaunS

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
As long as you're not trying to fill a theatre screen, you should do okay with a 250 watt halogen lamp. Try to keep the picture to about 8-10 feet wide and, as Steve noted, keep the room extremely dark, especially in front of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks