Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Richard Gallagher

36 Hours Blu-ray Review

36-Hours-1024x576.jpg

36 Hours is an engaging thriller with an attractive cast, outstanding cinematography, and an ingenious premise.

[review]
Read more.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Major Pike's discovery of the truth does not come too early in the film.
The cut on his finger would make itself known to him sooner rather than later, so it would have been totally implausible for him to go several days before discovering the cut.

I agree that James Garner was over critical of this film.

36 Hours is essential viewing for all admirers of Eva Maria Saint. She was always good but in this film she is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Way too many spoilers here, I'm glad I've already seen the film. Still buying it though! :mellow:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
This was on my "will never get a BD release" list of my favorite films. The randomness of WAC's releases is sometimes criticized, but then that randomness gets us some gems like this that weren't on anyone's radar for a BD release.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The prices for all the Warner Archive titles for April have not gone lower than list price....I have to wait

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's interesting how many films are discussed for "early reveals."

The flashback dupe section in Vertigo, was in, out, and then back into the cut and conformed negative, as people counseled Hitchcock on the subject.

If you view the film without the sequence, where it now resides, the entire aura of the film changes.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the blu-ray of this 1964 movie for the first time the day before yesterday. Good stuff! Excellent PQ.

As Richard Gallagher writes in his perceptive review above:

"James Garner starts out as his usual affable self, but he is quite convincing as the bewildered officer who believes that he has lost all memory of nearly five years of his life. Eva Marie Saint is equally compelling as the Jewish nurse who used her wits to stay alive and found a way out of a concentration camp. Garner writes, “I loved working with Eva, a wonderful actress and a sweet lady.” Rod Taylor certainly looks the part of a German doctor. He doesn’t sound like a German, but that is explained by his character’s upbringing in the United States (by 1964 Taylor had learned to lose his Australian accent). Werner Peters is suitably sinister as the nasty SS officer. John Banner of Hogan’s Heroes fame has a small but important part as an aging and overweight member of the home guard, and you may recognize but not know the name of Celia Lovksy, who plays an elderly housekeeper. She was born in Vienna and in 1933 she fled Germany with Peter Lorre, to whom she was married for 11 years."

I recognized Celia Lovksy as T'Pau on the original Star Trek. She was also in the Twilight Zone episode Queen of the Nile.

t'pau.jpeg
36 hours poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks