What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

28 WEEKS LATER (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Surprised there ain't been a thread on this one yet, which is looking stronger and stronger as time passes. Already well into shooting as I type this; Danny Boyle producing, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo directing (whose Intacto had a great premise concerning luck as a "commodity"), and Rowan Joffe scripting.

Robert Carlyle running like fuck away from a horde of the Infected (and other sundry things) in this new footage preview:

http://www.foxatomic.com/#PAGE_101:m...&movie_id=1601

And Latino Review's look at the screenplay...MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=31

Question is, which zombie-flick will rule in 2007 -- this one, or "I Am AW *HELL* NAAWW"?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The sadder thing is that the latter shouldn't even BE a zombie flick. It should be a vampire flick. :frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am trying to think of how this would work...Unless its suppose to take place in the time in the first one after they escape the army barracks..but, before the scene at the end with the jet.

Also, just a quick question on the original. Since the effect of infection is nearly instantaneous. It is same to assume that while England is screwed..The rest of the world is safe.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Todd,

Yes I think that since this is such a fast spreading infection that it would be isolated to the island (no incubation period makes it much more difficult to spread via plane passengers, etc...).

Also, as the title suggest, I believe it takes place 28 weeks later (28 weeks after that last "infected" died).

The basic premise was disclosed in the script review and I'll post it below in spoiler text:

Entire population of England reduced to about 7,000. Other countries, the US being mentioned, got pretty serious about containing the infection to England and not letting it off the island (basically blowing up/killing anyone trying to leave during the outbreak). 28 weeks after the last infected died, it is believed that the infection is gone (can't live outside an infected host for very long), people are now returning to England (who were away when the infection broke out). However, a still living infected is found, and now there seems to be a new method of transmission. My guess is that the new method of infection is that it becomes airborne, which would be even worse than the original method (scratch/bite). Maybe it even mutated to the point that it has more of an incubation period. If this is the case, if it has a longer incubation period and is airborne, then it may even be possible for it to become pandemic. But that it just a guess of mine. Maybe not even something that happens in the movie, but something that is a concern or alluded to as happening.

Looking forward to this one.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I've been hesitant about 28 Weeks Later. Everything I'd heard about it before was that Boyle had nothing to do with it, and it was going to be one of the many teen friendly sequels that the Fox Atomic line is trying to cash in on. I think those scenes have made me change my mind though. Definitely looking forward to this one. Thanks for the link!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, the chronology on that one is much more extended -- the ending with the Finnish jet was only about a month or so after Jim, Selena, and Hannah's escape from the army encampment, and the sequel takes place roughly seven months after that same point.

(Or thereabouts...what I'm wondering now is, is the "28 Weeks Later" counted from the first day of infection, or 28 weeks after the believed "end" of the epidemic, after the bulk of the Infected finally experienced some major dieback? Suppose we'll find out eventually.)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I did read the script review from Latino review...Just curious as to what The big surprise in the last act is? Probably that it spread to other parts of the world...thus allowing another sequel. :)

Martin_K

Agent

I believe that the whole world is infected. When Selena first meets Jim she explains to him that the last radio brodcast said that both New York and Paris are showing signs of the infection.

Maybe they were able to contain it abroad whilst the Great Ilses had no chance since it originated from there

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I definitely want to see this one more and more since the director is the same guy who did the wonderful Intacto. loved the first one (28 Days Later) by the way.

Ronn.W

Second Unit

If you watch it with the commentary, Boyle makes mention a couple of times that he really didn't think too far ahead about how far worldwide the infection would make it. At the beginning of the film he's decided it's global, but by the time they are in the mansion he has changed his mind and has decided that it was contained everywhere else, and that the UK has become an island of the damned. That's the point of the prisoner rambling on about how some guy half a world away is eating a TV dinner and watching the Simpsons. And then when Jim sees the jet when they're taking him to be killed, he knows that's exactly how it is. Boyle says he never went back and cleaned up the previous statements because he was lazy and then decided that if this actually every happened, there would be lots of rumors and speculation floating around.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The helicopter pilot at the end of the clip looks like Harold Perrineau.

I wonder if the surviving characters from the first movie will appear in the sequel?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
20th Century Fox is preparing to put out a new version of the original 28 Days Later on DVD in order to tie into the sequel's release...gee, who'd've guessed Fox'd do that? It's pretty much the same thing as before, but it includes a ticket for admission to 28 Weeks Later, and there's one new extra that does sound semi-interesting.

From DVDActive.com:

None that I've heard of, though it's interesting that Robert Carlyle is appearing in the sequel -- he was originally approached to play the Chris Eccleston role in the original, but couldn't, for various reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks