What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

24: Live Another Day (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
Rewatched seasons 1-5 in anticipation -- realized last week as I was wrapping up #5 that I wasn't gonna make it through rewatches of all the seasons in time, but at least I got to see my favorite one.
I started rewatching the series about six months ago when I realized that I hadn't seen the early seasons in well over 5 years and now, I've got the last 4 episodes of S8 to watch.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
semi related question is fox planning to release the rest of 24 on bluray? i've not heard any news. i know this mini series will end up released before the other seasons

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Let's hope that when the time comes to release this newest miniseries, it'll be combined in a "complete experience" Blu-ray box set of all the previous seasons. That's the very reason why I didn't spring for the 24 complete series DVDs which were in today's Amazon deals.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
complete series would be very expensive but i think a season by season releade would do well... surely 7&8 had stellar numbers? not sure...

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Have to say, I couldn't imagine watching a series like this for a second time. As good as it was the first few seasons...it seems once you know all the twists and turns it wouldn't be worth rewatching. I guess it's just me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
For what it's worth, I started saying around season 4 that this series would benefit from being cut down to 12 "2 hour" episodes.
This season is going to be 12 "1 hour" episodes, right?

I'd love to be wrong...but I thought that was part of the deal for the entire creative team.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
This season is going to be 12 "1 hour" episodes, right?

I'd love to be wrong...but I thought that was part of the deal for the entire creative team.
That's what I've read. They said they may jump time between episodes but that each individual episode would be an hour of "real time"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Stan said:
Other than the financial rewards, it must really suck to be Kiefer Sutherland. Stereo-typed for life. No matter what he tries to do, we'll always see "Jack Bauer" in his performance.

He is probably getting some pretty hefty paychecks, but he's still very limited with what he can do in the future.
On the other hand, wasn't his career stalling out before he did "24"? Better to have a signature role to be remembered by than to fade away. Being cast as the good guy for a change probably hasn't hurt either.

Jack Bauer does cast a long shadow, totally agree with you there.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Josh Steinberg said:
On the other hand, wasn't his career stalling out before he did "24"? Better to have a signature role to be remembered by than to fade away. Being cast as the good guy for a change probably hasn't hurt either.

Jack Bauer does cast a long shadow, totally agree with you there.
No, not really stalling out I don't think. He had 3 pretty good movies that I really enjoyed, The Cowboy Way, Phone Booth and Dark City prior to 24. He's not typecast at all, but does play the hero or bad guy quite well. Currently filming "Forsaken", so I don't think he's typecast too much.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Have to say, I couldn't imagine watching a series like this for a second time. As good as it was the first few seasons...it seems once you know all the twists and turns it wouldn't be worth rewatching. I guess it's just me.
While the surprise element is gone, the show's other biggest strengths- the cast and the music- still make it worth rewatching. The cast (not just Kiefer Sutherland) was good enough to sell nearly all but the craziest stuff that the writers came up with and the music was so good that it could create tension when basically nothing was happening and really ratchet things up when something exciting or emotional was happening. I'm not trying to say that this is some kind of masterpiece (other than as a piece of fun, over the top and entertaining pulp fiction) but without the cast and music, this show would have been as forgettable as all of its clones were.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Some of the major surprises/reveals I do remember even from season one, but I suspect there are plenty of small episode cliffhanger moments that after all these years could still give me pause. But I'd rather rewatch in HD, so I've held off on those DVD season boxes for the moment.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm curious how the 'time jumps' will actually work.One of the major elements of the original seasons was the end of episode cliffhanger followed by next episode resolution, often with some aftermath.If we lose that, it may not be 24 anymore

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't know if I thought or assumed each episode would cover 2 hours of TV time, but I'm disappointed to hear that is not the case. Why didn't they change the name to '12'? ;)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
As I understand it, the 12 episodes will still encompass a 24 hour time period, but the "real time" aspect of each episode is being abandoned.

I think it's a good idea, really. As novel as the concept was, looking back over the course of each season, for each scenario where the real-time aspect heightened the tension and added to the drama, there were instances where one couldn't help but think "no way could he have gotten across town through rush hour traffic over the course of a commercial break...".

Hopefully the condensed format will allow the writers to focus more on the actual story and events rather than trying to figure out how to time everything so each dramatic beat hits at the end of each hour...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jason Charlton said:
As I understand it, the 12 episodes will still encompass a 24 hour time period, but the "real time" aspect of each episode is being abandoned.
I don't think that's correct. I think each of the episodes will still be in "real time", and the entire season will still take place within a 24 hour period, but that they will skip hours between episodes at times:

From the website/press release:
The high-octane saga reunites the Emmy Award-winning team of executive producer Howard Gordon; star and executive producer Kiefer Sutherland; co-creator Robert Cochran; executive producers Evan Katz, Manny Coto, David Fury, Brian Grazer; and director Jon Cassar. It also will retain the real-time, pulse-pounding, fast-paced format with split screens and interweaving storylines.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Josh Steinberg said:
That's what I've read. They said they may jump time between episodes but that each individual episode would be an hour of "real time"
They'll need the time jumps if Jack needs to go from place to place. It takes an hour to drive anywhere in London. Unlike Los Angeles where it only takes three minutes. :lol:

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I didn't realize this was coming up so soon, I might have to wait a couple weeks so I can marathon the old seasons first myself... but okay maybe possibly I'll skip a season or two. ;)

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Looking forward to this! I've always thought that Jack Bauer would make Chuck Norris piss his pants! Although the show was getting long in the tooth on the last few seasons, it's been awhile so there should be some good, fresh writing for the scripts. Also, the tech used in 24 was always pretty cool, if not far fetched. Now the tech world has gotten a lot more advanced since it went off the air, so I'm curious to see where they go with that! :)

Jack-Bauer-badass.jpg

Nobody can look as bad ass as Jack baby!!!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just watched the last two hours of Day 8.Damn, I'd forgotten how truly awesome the show was.I am so looking forward to Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks