What's new
World Wide Stereo

2020 OLED TVs - LG CX & Sony A8H, how do they compare (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
For the entire months of March and April this has been the most popular question we have received by email, phone calls and PMs. So your wish is my command.

Sony included Value Electronics on the first allocation of their new 2020 A8H Series 4K HDR OLED TVs. If all goes as scheduled we will receive our first A8H shipment on Friday, May 1st.

We'll immediately set-up Sony's A8H butt next to LG's 2020 CX OLED TV in our calibration lab for careful and accurate comparison and evaluation. Our calibrator will work with me on this and we'll give our impressions pre and post calibration. We'll also post pre and post calibration reports and scans and measure the peak and minimum luminance levels, color accuracy, color volume and motion resolution test results.

For now we can discuss the technical and feature differences in these two highly anticipated 2020 OLED TVs

728x90

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've been so waiting for the 48CX for my PC monitor. A proper HDR display that supports GSync and can also be used for critical viewing on my PC is just too good to be true. I've gotten used to subpar contrast on my PC displays the last few years, though the Sony 43X800D you sold me @Robert_Zohn is still holding up great!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
One of us! One of us!
I have a 65E7 in my living room, but it's not used very often. Most of my viewing is on a VPL-VW675ES. I will be upgrading to a laser based PJ in the next year or two - when I am ready. @Robert_Zohn will be my dealer as always, because he never steers me wrong.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
OK, here we go, it's Showtime!

Tomorrow our side-by-side review and testing of LG's CX and Sony's A8H 2020 OLED TVs will be hosted on two live Youtube a/v celebrity channels.

Our highly respected professional calibrator, John and I will present our findings live and it will be moderated by the YouTube two channel owners.

- SpareChange

- Whisper Status 74

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Dreams can come true!

I wanted for LG to have the 55" and 65" CX and Sony to put the 55" and 65" A8H on sale for my side-by-side comparison. Wolla Sony's 55" A8H is now on sale for $1,899 and the 65" A8H is reduced to $2,799 and LG's 55" CX is $1,799 and the 65" CX is $2,499.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@Robert_Zohn early reports from a few friends that the CX series has a nasty bug that crushes blacks in Dolby Vision content. Are you aware of this and if LG has a fix in progress?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, and we reported this issue to our engineer contacts at LG and they understand and are working on a firmware fix. It's complicated when you have to also deal with Dolby as they control how the TVs decode their signal and it's not just LG's TV that experience issues with Dolby Vision. It's also best to use the Built-in webOS apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube and all streaming content and set the CX picture mode to Cinema Home.

Here's the workaround to see Dolby Vision without the low luminance APL issue. When streaming any Dolby Vision content with the built-in webOS apps and the TV picture mode set to Cinema Home the Dolby Vision picture looks beautiful.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Yes, and we reported this issue to our engineer contacts at LG and they understand and are working on a firmware fix. It's complicated when you have to also deal with Dolby as they control how the TVs decode their signal and it's not just LG's TV that experience issues with Dolby Vision. It's also best to use the Built-in webOS apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube and all streaming content and set the CX picture mode to Cinema Home.

Here's the workaround to see Dolby Vision without the low luminance APL issue. When streaming any Dolby Vision content with the built-in webOS apps and the TV picture mode set to Cinema Home the Dolby Vision picture looks beautiful.
Thanks Robert, good to know.

glllelkl

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Lerner
Am considering purchasing an OLED TV this year, 65" and wanted to know what the differenes are between the Sony A8H and A9G are and if it's worth the extra $ to get the A9G.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
As of this moment the A8H is the better choice as it has the same X1 Ultimate video processor and two very nice upgrades that the A9G has not received yet. The upgrades are the new A8H "Clearness" user menu that lets you select the amount of BFI you want to add to the content with now loss of luminance and the re-tuning of the processor that delivers better low luminance detail favors the A8H over the A9G.

The A9G has better built-in audio and I love how you can also set-up the built-in audio to be your center channel speaker. Plus the A9G has better build quality and the stand has a very low profile clean look. The A9G Master Series has several factory calibration benefits over the A8H. However, as it stands today I would say the advantages of the new Clearness, BFI and how the X1 Ultimate processor was re-tuned to deliver better near black performance makes the A8H is the better choice.

We have a nice promotion on the A8H with a reduced price and a 5% store credit.

I am optimistic that Sony will add these new features to the A9G, but we'll have to wait to know if that happens.

glllelkl

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Lerner
rRobert,
Thanks so much for your advice. I live in Los Angeles, so do you ship to LA? Also what are the prices for both sets at 65"?
Were those some pictures of Riverdale and the Henry Hudson highway when signing in?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, we're Sony Diamond dealers and they fulfill our Nationwide orders from 4 warehouses. Our CA orders ship from Mira Loma CA so they don't travel far to get to you. We pay the CA sales tax, but do not ask our clients to pay the tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks