What's new

2020 4th quarter DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I keep hoping that both The Abyss and True Lies will get around to being released both on blu-ray and 4K blu-ray but now wonder if Disney is holding them up. I heard both of these titles being talked about when I attended movie night but still not release dates on ether one. I would also like to see a corrected release of Terminator 2 but I do not see that happening anytime soon. I would like to see all the Terminator movies be released in 4K as well as the Star Trek movies.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why would there be a corrected release for Terminator 2? It looks exactly as the filmmakers and rightsholders want it to look. That they’ve chosen a more modern aesthetic for the presentation wasn’t an accident. They’re not going to recall a product that came out exactly the way they wanted it to.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
For me there's only one "grail" show left: a complete series set of St. Elsewhere. Pretty much everything else I'd want I already have. Unfortunately, being an MTM show, it's now in the hands of Disney. I really don't want to go "alternate source," but it's getting more and more to be the on;ly way. Why won't Disney or maybe Shout take my money? My arm is tired from waving the cash around!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would like a DVD Release of the 1973 Miracle on 34th Street that stars Sabastian Cabbot. And I would like the full uncut movie. But since It is now a Disney property I am assuming I Can forget that idea

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps look at it this way: those properties were in the hands of Fox for decades and didn’t receive a DVD release during that time. Ownership changing to Disney hasn’t changed anything. There was no chance Fox was putting them out. Maybe Disney will use them for D+ or Hulu, but the switch of ownership hasn’t changed the status from a likely release to an unlikely release. It was an unlikely release to begin with.

The studios spent a great deal of money bringing television shows to DVD over the past two decades and a great many of those releases failed to sell in appreciable numbers, losing money for the studios and the retailers who carried them. I understand being disappointed that something we want isn’t readily available; I don’t understand being mad at the studio when it was the audience that didn’t show up. Fox and now Disney would be very happy to take your money but by and large the demand for many of these titles just isn’t there. I think it’s possible for it to be disappointing while also acknowledging there aren’t any bad guys here.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I understand being disappointed that something we want isn’t readily available; I don’t understand being mad at the studio when it was the audience that didn’t show up.

I think it’s possible for it to be disappointing while also acknowledging there aren’t any bad guys here.

You are thinking too much in a "rational / logical" manner. :)

This is not the correct way to think about this. The underlying mindset is not rational nor "logical" at all.

(Without getting heavily into politics).

This is standard behavior of individuals who genuinely enjoy being "angry for the sake of being angry". It is what gives them "meaning" in their lives.

:banana:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

This is not the correct way to think about this. The underlying mindset is not rational nor "logical" at all.

This is standard behavior of individuals who genuinely enjoy being "angry for the sake of being angry". It is what gives them "meaning" in their lives.

I am not so angry about something not being released that I'll act like a crazy person but it would be nice for the 1973 Mracle on 34th Street as the 1947, 1955 and 1994 versions are out there

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That tv show season sets "unstalled" train via the Shout Factory, has left the station already. It is not likely coming back.

I think one of the last ones they did was to rescue Hart to Hart from the Sony dry spell (putting out the last three gos [1981-84] of that ABC Wagner/Powers/Stander mystery/romance series).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

Now, just who are you talking about? Never heard of such things.
--jthree

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Where St. Elsewhere is concerned, the masters Hulu had access to are all over the place in running time and quality, and if Fox was in no hurry to remaster or restore it even while getting whatever masters they had off-the-shelf for the rest of the MTM library.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
With that being said, the only last hope left for older tv shows is probably VEI.

Been thinking about praying for shows like Garrison Gorrilas, Ken Howard's Manhunter, and My, World and Welcome to It.

--jthree

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
An 8-disc Jetsons complete series set being released on October 13, 2020.

Compared to the disc counts of the previous Jetsons releases (iirc season 1 -> 4 discs, season 2: vol1 -> 3 discs, vol2 -> 3 discs, season 3 -> 1 disc), this means this new complete series set discs are reauthored.
I hope this means not just the masters they used for the ABC episodes that appeared on the BR set that came out last year, but also the syndicated episodes from 1985 and 1987 will have their original Hanna-Barbera logos restored (and also the commercial break bumpers), too.

These are the logos that used to appear on the 1985 and 1987 episodes:

(seen before the opening credits)

Logos from the 1985 episodes:

Logos from the 1987 episodes:

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks