What's new

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Scott,

Yes, that last series between the teams was something -- even if the outcome was unpleasant. ;) I think this Habs team is better than that one, but they are still a few pieces away from being a true Cup contender. I think the Bruins are a better team than that one, too, even though that team ended up winning the Cup. I like their young defenseman -- Krug and Hamilton. Hopefully Tinordi and Beaulieu will develop along a similar path for the Habs, as they need an infusion of youth along the blueline.
I think this team is better too, and the reason is just what you state: Krug and Hamilton. Krug is OK in his own end for a real little guy (him and Marchand have a running gag on who is taller) but we haven't see PP performance like his since a guy named Bourque roamed the blue line. He also lets Chara get off the PP QB, which was/is an obvious flaw in his game, and in front of the net.

Dougie? Well, what to say about Dougie. He's going to be a stud. Smooth skating big guy who can shoot, rush, hit, and has a high IQ. Oh and did I mention he's 20 freaking years old? He's not even close to hitting his prime and big defensemen take years to mature and learn the game. When he fills out his spindly frame to around 220 lbs, and hits prime defenseman years, he is the heir to Chara, no ifs, ands, or buts. That said, he is prone to defensve lapses, and I can see it biting us against some of the speedier guys wearing the toilet seat. But that is why he plays with Chara, and he's come a long way since his healthy scratches last year to his 1A/B pairing this year.

And need I mention that when Brooks Orpik got his glass jaw concussion from a Thornton gloved fist, the very first guy to challenge him for lighting up Erikkson was Dougie Hamilton? If velcro gloved Brooks had just gone with the guy who has 0 career fights, maybe that whole mess would have been avoided. But good on Dougie for being a "goon" in defense of his teammates. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff,

Hamilton ended up being the gem for the Bruins in that Kessel trade, since Seguin was sent packing last offseason. I knew Boston had a winner when they drafted him after watching him play a few years for Niagara in the OHL. Krug is a local boy from Livonia, Michigan (it borders on my hometown of Plymouth), but I never got to see him play as he went the NCAA route at Michigan State, and I watch very little NCAA hockey.

In other NHL news that directly affects my local OHL team, the Carolina Hurricanes are hiring Ron Francis as the new GM. As part of this, Plymouth Whalers Team President, GM and Head Coach Mike Vellucci is also being hired into a front office position with Carolina. He has been the head coach for Plymouth since 2001 (except for a brief stint in 2007-08 by Greg Stefan), and the team has made the playoffs every year he's been in charge. Current NHL players James Neal, Tyler Seguin, Jared Boll, and Michael Neuvirth are among the 23 current NHLers who played under Vellucci in Plymouth. He's done a tremendous job in Plymouth, and will be greatly missed.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff and Scott,Seeing what Hamilton can do (this year was my introduction to him) softens the blow of letting Seguin go in my opinion. When I first heard of the news that Seguin was sent packing, I couldn't rationalize why the Bruins were doing it. Seguin is a huge talent. But it looks like Hamilton will be quite the defenseman in years to come.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Reilly Smith also went a long way toward softening the Seguin blow. It's funny; Seguin seemed to have lost something when they let him go, but whatever it was, he sure got it back this season.

The Habs are like the Yankees for me: I'll be hoping and rooting for a Bruins sweep, but will accept and enjoy the long series that we all know is actually in store. :)

You know what would be cool? If Carl Soderberg continues to play like he did against Detroit. Dude was a stud those last few games!

Also: Ron Francis! :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
Reilly Smith also went a long way toward softening the Seguin blow. It's funny; Seguin seemed to have lost something when they let him go, but whatever it was, he sure got it back this season.

The Habs are like the Yankees for me: I'll be hoping and rooting for a Bruins sweep, but will accept and enjoy the long series that we all know is actually in store. :)

You know what would be cool? If Carl Soderberg continues to play like he did against Detroit. Dude was a stud those last few games!

Also: Ron Francis! :)
I think Seguin's biggest problem is that he needed to grow up emotionally, and it looks like that may be happening now in Dallas. He was a kid that went right from high school to a million dollar contract in the NHL in a college town with lots of opportunities to get in trouble. He just wasn't mature enough to handle it.

And you are right -- Reilly Smith was another piece to that trade. I know Kessel is doing okay in Toronto, but I still think that was a horrible trade. Between that and trading you guys Rask, the Leafs should get their name on the Cup whenever you win, too. :lol:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I don't know if anyone else has watched any of the playoff series in the West, but just hard to believe to see the Kings come back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the series. And to think, they did look like they were close to being swept. Still, the winner of this series will be really worned out when they face the Ducks.

There will be 2 Game 7's in these playoffs, and hoping there will be a third one. The Flyers have alternated between looking bad and looking good. So I guess this is the game that they should look good.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,I have been watching every series this year. I like the Ducks' chances for many reasons, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Blackhawks or Kings came out of the west. And the Wild and Stars have been really exciting teams to watch in the first round.

A friend of mine is a huge Pittsburgh fan. I asked him who he would rather play, and without hesitating he said "The Rangers." I told him that I think they have a better goalie than Philadelphia, but it didn't matter. The Flyers match up really well with the Penguins and usually give them fits.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Scott,

I thought the path to the conference finals was made easier when the Penguins won their series, for the Flyers. Assuming they make it to the 2nd round. I would have not wanted to face the Blue Jackets, as being that unknown usually result in a mismatch. And not as exciting!

Until the results say otherwise, I still see the Blackhawks coming out of the west, now that they seemed to have gotten back into playoff mode. I stayed up late to watch the completion of the Kings-Sharks game, and it was entertaining to see both teams throw some fists around towards the end of the game, and Jonathan Quick jumping on Joe Thornton from behind.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While nothing regarding the Sharks usually shocks me come playoff time, I am still surprised that the Kings have fought back from an 0-3 deficit. If LA can win Game 7, this may top all the other playoff collapses by San Jose. Unfortunately, those games out west are on too late for me to watch.

I did catch the end of the Pittsburgh - Jackets game last night. The Pens tried hard to blow a 4-0 lead almost halfway through the 3rd period, but Columbus' comeback fell just short. I just do not see Pittsburgh being a serious threat to win the Cup with Fleury in net. I think either Philly or the Rangers can take them down in the next round.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff Gatie said:
Serious Wayne Simmonds envy right now. Boy he'd look good in a spoked B.
When the Flyers were having their fire sale a couple of years ago, dealing Carter, Richards, JVR, etc., I was hoping that somehow Simmonds would end up in Montreal. Unfortunately, Philly wasn't dumb enough to give him away.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
When the Flyers were having their fire sale a couple of years ago, dealing Carter, Richards, JVR, etc., I was hoping that somehow Simmonds would end up in Montreal. Unfortunately, Philly wasn't dumb enough to give him away.
Well that would be a serious conundrum for Habs fans. They would lose the race card when people complain about PK being a jackwagon, because Simmonds is as standup a guy there is. I'm getting pretty sick of the automatic accusations of racism when people complain about PK's antics, or Evander Kane's problems, when there are countless other black players who don't get grief, Simmonds and Iginla among them. Not that there aren't racist scum in the world (as those offensive tweets out of Boston in 2012 will show), but sometimes a player is just a jackwagon, regardless of his color, and deflecting criticism because of race is an insult to a league which has historically not cared about race, as well as insulting guys like Simmonds and Igninla.

And if anyone knew me, you'd know exactly why I'm particularly offended at being called a racist just because I criticize PK (not here of course, but it is epidemic on other sites). Off my soapbox now.

Edit: This is the BS I'm talking about:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/criticism-hurled-at-kane-byfuglien-subban-others-is-about-race-more-than-character/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff,

I do not know much about Evander Kane, since he plays in relative obscurity in Winnipeg, but I have seen interviews given by Subban, and he is a thoughtful, well-spoken (yet soft-spoken) young man. I know he can rub some opposing fans the wrong way with some of his on-ice celebrations, but anyone that thinks he is some thug has a severely distorted view of the guy.

I think PK's younger brother Malcolm is a similar guy, and you Boston fans are lucky enough to have him in your prospect pool.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Jeff,

I do not know much about Evander Kane, since he plays in relative obscurity in Winnipeg, but I have seen interviews given by Subban, and he is a thoughtful, well-spoken (yet soft-spoken) young man. I know he can rub some opposing fans the wrong way with some of his on-ice celebrations, but anyone that thinks he is some thug has a severely distorted view of the guy.

I think PK's younger brother Malcolm is a similar guy, and you Boston fans are lucky enough to have him in your prospect pool.
I've seen interviews with both. Off-ice PK is well-spoken, professional, and extremely personable. A real classy guy and the atithesis of his on-ice persona.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What a night for NHL hockey. There were three game sevens. I watched them all.

I ended up going 8-0 in the first round. I don't think I've ever done that before. I'll post my second round picks later today. These are going to be more difficult.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jeff,

So you agree that Marchand is a rat and Lucic a bully! ;) (just kidding). Anyway, I did have to laugh after seeing PK's baby brother Jordan play for the first time in the OHL (all three brothers played for the Belleville Bulls). During one of his first shifts, Jordan (a defenseman, too) skated out of his zone with the puck and did one of those one-handed 360-degree spins that PK does at times. Little brother was trying to copy big brother. :lol:

Back to hockey. It's appropriate that one of the biggest playoff chokers -- San Jose -- join the ranks of teams that have blown 3-0 series leads. I think I was right on 6 of 8 first round series here, and 7 of 8 in my office pool (I took the Habs in that one, and only got the Minnesota - Colorado series wrong).

For this round, I'll go with:

Boston over Montreal (it kills me to type this ;) )
Rangers over Pittsburgh
Chicago over Minnesota
Anaheim over LA (this is going to be a good series)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In honor of the start of the Habs - Bruins series:

Subban is ready!
MKQEX42.gif

Lucic practicing for Round 2
sfgvww_jpg.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,We differ with our picks for the West. I had some difficulty with mine, but I'm going with a couple of upsets.

My second round picks:
East

Boston over Montreal
Rangers over Pittsburgh (I think you and I are counting on the better goalie coming through for his team)

West

Minnesota over Chicago (I loved how the Wild closed the season, and they gave me no reason do doubt them last night)
Los Angeles over Anaheim (After coming back from 0-3, I am beginning to think that the Kings could come out of the West like they did a couple of years ago)

If the Blackhawks survive the Wild, I would love to see a Blackhawks - Kings series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmiller27
Recent bookmarks