What's new

2012 Ultra Thin iMac refresh buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Fusion available for the 21" now: http://www.macgasm.net/2013/01/07/fusion-drive-option-now-available-for-entry-level-21-5-inch-imac/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fusion-drive-option-now-available-for-entry-level-21-5-inch-imac

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Off topoc: That link crashed mobile safari. I've also had the verge crash safari. What's going on with these websites and/or safari?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The hub sucks, most storage devices won't work with it. I need a serious 8 port powered USB 3.0 hub that is flawless. Any suggestions? Also.... I got into watching last season of The Walking Dead on Netflix from my iPad and slapped my head and thought 'I bet this would look pretty damn good on the new 27"er....' only to be stopped in my tracks because it requires Silverlight =( Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to install Flash, Java or Silverlight on aything anymore unless I absolutely have to. Until they release a way to watch without Silverlight on OSX I guess it's back to iPad viewing for me...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
In the end, Sam, Netflix and others are always going to demand some sort of Content Protection Scheme. Studios won't let them do otherwise. Of the schemes that are out there, I would take Silverlight over Flash any day of the week. Less CPU usage, lays back, no fake installs or bundled trash (see: Java).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I know a lot of the guys at Macrumors forum lamented the loss of the VESA mount, but not sure anyone here at HTF cares, but Apple has a special BTO with mount but no stand for $40 now: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/14/apple-now-offering-imac-with-built-in-vesa-mount-adapter-for-40-premium

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sam,
What I'm just doing is moving my iTunes library to my new Drobo 5N (so far populated with 3 3TB WD Red and 1 2TB WD Red drives plus a 64GB mSATA card). I did not have the option of a Fusion Drive for my new iMac 27 since Apple does not ship computers to San Juan yet, and had to buy mine at Best Buy with the basic 1TB internal drive. However, I bought 8GB of RAM from OWC to boost it to 16GB.
Have you tried any USB 3.0 hubs? I've seen so many warnings of interference with other devices so I'm concerned.
Take care.
Raul

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Personally I'm glad to see this. I'm hoping they come out with a reasonable SSD solution for the upcoming Mac Pro as well. Ideally I'd need a 480/512GB SSD to hold the OS and programs like Adobe Creative Suite, Lightroom, Logic Pro, Pro Tools + Instrument Expansion Pack, all of which eat up tons of space [and quickly overfill 128GB and maybe even 256GB] but if I can get them all on the SSD portion my workflows would speed up tremendously.

Then I'd put all of my data, music, movies and RAW files on a separate mirrored 2x2TB RAID external thunderbolt drive (if I went with an iMac) or a mirror RAID internal set of drives in a Mac Pro to get maximum throughput and data security possible.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Doc, you might wanna sit down for this shocker, but all USB 3 hubs pretty much suck. They are inconsistent on providing power to devices like iPads which need extra juice, they prevent your system from sleeping, and other minor messes.

I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TT91TW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It constantly wakes my iMac and doesn't charge iPads. Sigh.

I'm hopeful that the new Thunderbolt hub from belkin will be better:
http://www.imore.com/belkin-ships-thunderbolt-express-dock?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

$300 but if it works it will be worth it.

Personally I just unplug all my externals and power em down. It sucks.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sam,

Was this before or after the upgrade for your USB 3.0 hub?

"Update - Product Upgrade
I) The power adapter has been upgraded from 12V 2A to 12V 3A to provide a higher capacity power supply to your high-power devices.
II) We now incorporate the latest VIA VL812 chip for better power efficiency, lower operating temperatures, and broader compatibility."

I agree that preventing a Mac from going to sleep would be a deal breaker for me....

That Belkin Thunderport dock looks great! BUT $300?????

Raul

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Big takeaways:
No 4k display this year, presumably implies no 4k Cinema Display when the Mac Pro launches?
1TB SSD is $1k instead of 768GB for $1300, MUCH more reasonable.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow - ok now I seriously (for monetary savings) have to consider an iMac. As Sam pointed out earlier (in either this or the Mac Pro thread) the reasons historically that I needed a Mac Pro are no longer relevant. With these new CPUs and GPUs (especially the 4GB 780) I think that the iMac will be plenty powerful enough to run all of my most power-hungry apps (Creative Suite, Logic Pro). I think the i7 + 780 + 512GB SSD just might be the ticket.

Now I just need to see some reviews and benchmarks confirm what I already know (and for some of the bugs to be worked out, as with all first-time implementations like 802.11ac there is likely to be some) and I think I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas. :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For your particular case I wouldn't make any purchase decisions until you see the BTO prices of the Mac Pro. It could be a tough decision! I'm certain the iMac is up to your tasks but since we are this close to launch you should wait IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks