What's new

2012 Ultra Thin iMac refresh buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll be using a USB reader for all my cards, even if all I was to use was the SD card no way will I fumble around with that slot, it's a waste of space.
I'm absolutely fine with the compromises made on the 27" from what I have read, and using the 21s in store they seemed very awesome.
The idea is that the hump will go down in the future until all we have is a thin slice of cardboard. As futuristic as the 2012 is today, it will be viewed as a transitional product sooner rather than later.
I'm OK with that.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam - you mean that in 10 years we will look back on this:
in the same way we now look back on this?
:D
Looking forward to it! :tu: :tu:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The idea is that the hump will go down in the future until all we have is a thin slice of cardboard. As futuristic as the 2012 is today, it will be viewed as a transitional product sooner rather than later.
That's all well and good, but as the ARS Technica review points out, is that a priority on a desktop system? I suspect that computers won't shrink much more until there are some radical changes in I/O. Maybe a whole house type of system that is in the background and is ubiquitous with a display technology that is severed from the system and capable of being presented anywhere in the house. Voice input maybe. Think Tony Stark and Jarvis.
- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not a priority for ME, but it is a priority for APPLE. We can debate about why they do it but there is one thing clear; They do it better than anyone else. And they build on each step forward across their products.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually there are many, many students every year that are crushed into small dormitories with other undergraduates, for whom desktop space is a severe consideration. I just helped my cousin move in to her dorm this past fall and I can attest to this first-hand.
And college students have always been a big target of Apple's. Before the became the behemoth they are now, their academic discounts were ridiculous, bordering on 25% for some builds (my first Macbook Pro in 2006 was $2499 retail and I got it for $1999 from my university store). Today the discount isn't as high, but it still exists. I think this is a smart move, because as you get students into Apple, they'll transition into older, fully employed people who are used to Apple.
Anyway, Universities across the country try and cram as many students as they can into as small a dorm as they can (maybe universities with large endowments like the Ivy Leagues can avoid this, but many smaller and state-sponsored schools can't) so the desktop space issue is very real for them.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, my prior comment was more about technical capabilities and physical limitations, not desire or design goals.
- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Think about it this way Walter: in many ways, at least hardware wise, the iMac is a stationary laptop, not really a desktop. The Mac Pro is Apple's true Desktop range and the Mini is for those who want moderate capability at ultra low cost (for an Apple product, anyway!).
Is there room for something in between the power of an iMac and a Mac Pro? Yes, room enough for a Mac Truck (ha!) to drive through, at least in the past.
Today tho, not so much! There are VERY VERY few people for whom a 27" iMac is not powerful enough. Mostly gamers and 4k film editors. And while the film editors are well served with a Mac Pro, not so much the gamers. Apple is willing to give up on that small market I guess!
But making the iMac very similar to a laptop's hardware specs (and the Mac Mini is very similar too!) acts as a force multiplier. All 3 have very similar specs and capabilities these days, it's just the form factor that differs, really. And that allows Apple to REALLY march all 3 forward faster than any one alone could do.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Oh I don't disagree that manufacturers leverage designs in one area to complement another area (and Apple does a fine job in this arena.) The 'all in ones' are essentially vertically oriented laptops. No argument. Their focus on a limited number of products and the quality of their designs are things that I really admire about Apple.
I guess I'm not making myself clear. My contention (in my last two posts) is that shrinkage of the desktop is already at the point of diminishing returns and will remain so until a paradigm shift in how the user interacts with the system occurs. While I have not had the pleasure of seeing the new iMacs in operation, my understanding from the ARS review is that the new anti-glare process on the latest iMac is where the real innovation is taking place with this system, not so much the consolidation of the components into the 'hump'.
In any event, we can agree that Apple will continue to evolve their product line and explore new manufacturing methodologies that can be brought to bear on their product lines.
- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
First batch of 27s is shipping to arrive on the 13th! Good old Scotty planning by Apple: Under Promise and Over Deliver =)
Mine still shows the 27th, hope to have it before Christmas tho!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If what I am reading is true....

I was able to get Apple to give me a complimentary upgrade to
Expedited shipping. However, I am now learning that doing that
could *possibly* delay shipment by a few days or more.

I am also hearing that Apple is giving all its orders Expedited
shipping, or at least, that is what is being reported on the message
boards by people who phoned Apple reps.

In any case, my order is still showing delivery by the 21st.

I expect many orders will be delivered by the 18th if not before.

Quote:
Good old Scotty planning by Apple: Under Promise and Over Deliver =)

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Yeah, actually, I knew that they would over deliver.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]They have to go for the wors-case scenario by giving the worst[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]delivery date they can to cover their asses if anything goes wrong.[/COLOR]

This is typical Apple practice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ordered my 27" iMac within 5 minutes after the Apple site went live on November 30th.

While my status shows STILL PROCESSING, I did notice my credit card just got a pending
charge for the entire order.

So, I am hoping that's an early indication that my iMac will be shipping tomorrow. From
what I have been reading, once your card is charged your order is about ready to ship.
Sam, check your credit card statement....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron, I think chances are more than good that you'll receive yours within a week, so congratulations in advance! :tu:
Let us know how you like it, I expect pics! :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Some folks are getting theirs this morning. Seems like those were the ones ordered within minutes of going live and not much in the way of BTO changes.
My card has not yet been charged.,

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mine went to PREPARING FOR SHIPMENT this morning.
Will probably go out tomorrow.

Hope your status changes today, Sam.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm betting I will have to have mine held at Fedex during the holidays unless the status changes by Friday. I was later in the day when I finally got it ordered and I changed every BTO option... We'll see!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, good news and bad news....

My iMac shipped out early this morning.

However, despite the fact that Apple upgraded shipping to overnight,
it went out UPS and will not arrive until next Wednesday.

I was furious. I called Apple. The rep apologized profusely. It appears
that the original rep checked off the wrong box on my order rather than
selecting overnight delivery.

To compensate, I was offered a Magic Mouse. When I told the rep I
already had a Magic Mouse, I was offered a Creative Bluetooth speaker
instead. I took the speaker, but still not happy that I have to wait until
mid-next week for my iMac to arrive.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That sucks Ron. You'll still get yours days before me, maybe weeks. still no credit card charge, still in processing
Kabooooooom, Geekbench scores over 14k:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1506807
The 27 with 680MX is the real deal for gamers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks