What's new

2012 Box Office (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319701/2012-box-office/90#post_3955374
I think competition with the Olympics is a bigger factor then the shooting (IMHO)

Bingo! The opening ceremonies were a big deal on Friday and would seem likely to have impacted the box office...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's looking like a 60% drop from weekend 1 to weekend 2 for TDKR. My noon IMAX viewing was pretty packed. I checked out the crowd in another non-Imax showing in the afternoon on my way out (wanted to see the Man of Steel trailer since we got no trailers on the IMAX showing), and it was also pretty packed. People are turning out for the film, it just may take a longer run, like Batman Begins, before the final tally is known, though I think it'll top out near $400 million.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Wonder what it would have been without the Olympics. Huge Friday-Friday drop, but a relatively far less severe overall weekend drop says Sat and Sun were far kinder. Might want to give a bit more time before nailing down the predictions.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
To be fair, the Olympics and the shooting might not have anything to do with it. TDKR might not be making as much as everyone thought but the latest SPIDER-MAN isn't doing nearly as good as SM3, which was hated by most people while this new one is enjoyed by most. People, or non fans, might just be tired out on the genre right now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’m not sure why everyone seemed to expect TDKR to match the performance of TDK? Even without the Colorado incident, I don't think it would be keeping up with TDK. That was one of those rare, lightning-in-a-bottle type experiences (the reappearance of the popular Joker character, the Oscar-worthy Heath Ledger performance and his unexpected passing, the good will from Batman Begins, etc.), that can seldom be duplicated. If it could, the studios would only make $500M blockbusters.
$300M+ domestic in 12 days seems pretty darn good to me. Even with all the issues (Colorado, Olympics, the lesser-known Bane character), the film is less than $30M behind TDK at this point in its run.
I know I'm impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks