What's new

2008 Stanley Cup finals (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Heading into the third overtime.

I've been standing three feet in front of the telly since midway through the third period.

Don't want to go back to Pittsburgh, and I'm certain my ticker couldn't stand a game seven.

My pick for the cup-winner: Valtteri Filppula.

You heard it here first :D

This is good stuff.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I don't care who it is as long as it is a Wing. Filppula is as good as any and I'll give it up to you if you are right.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Is anyone else watching this in HD? The video is breaking up a lot, but the audio is coming in perfectly. Is it just a problem with my affiliate or is it happening where you are as well?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
So much for penalties costing the game. That one had to be called, but the goalie interference penalties...ugh.

CJ

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Fine here except my affiliate showed the Penguins winning. :frowning:

Surely that can't be right.

Yeah CJ that one had to be called, but the goalie interference calls were bad.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
It wasn't intentional, he was trying to lift the stick, but ended up getting face. Just unfortunate, couldn't let that one go.

The goalie interference calls were awful. I hope Therrien is happy with them.

Fleury was amazing tonight.

CJ

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fleury was unbelievable. In my opinion, this was by far the Penguins best game.

After hearing him talk in this series, I doubt anything will make him satisfied with the calls. I had nothing but respect for the Penguins coming into this series and I still respect their play, but like Brett, Bob and others have noticed it seems like they have a little to learn on how to represent themselves and the game better in their comments. They did represent on the ice tonight though. I really thought Detroit would get it done tonight, but Pittsburgh has all the momentum now so I hope Detroit is able to bounce back strong tomorrow night.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
So damn close! 35 seconds away from hoisting the best trophy in sports.

Hopefully, I won't have to work Wednesday night so I can watch the Wings clinch it in Pittsburgh, which won't be easy since the Penguins have the momentum and the fans will be very, very loud.

Fleury had 55 saves, including 24 in overtime. Brilliant performance.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
an absolutely amazing game!

Would have been nice to hoist the cup in detroit for the fans, but it'll be nearly as good in pittsburgh.

That, folks, was super-fun-to-watch hockey. Horrible officiating, but really fun watching.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Wow! Any time OT is forced by an empty net goal, you know you're in for a ride, but that was one for the ages! I kept jumping and screaming like a madman. Those guys have to be SO tired, because I know I was wrung out just watching them!

Agreed the goalie interference calls were pretty ticky-tacky. I guess the refs have their minds made up that no one is going to mess with the goalies.

I am still stunned. In my mind I was already picturing Detroit skating around hoisting the cup over their heads! Can't believe they're coming back to my town!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I really hope this goes to game 7. One game to decide it all, that is what hockey is about.

Malkin really looks lost out there, how many give aways did he cough up in the first period alone? Osgood also looks pretty shaky. Credit to Detroit for keeping the shots away, otherwise the Penguins would have blown game 5 wide open. I do think the Pens need to start laying into the body more, especially in their own end.

As for the officiating, I can't really complain. All the calls I saw were legit, and they were letting a ton of stuff go and not slowing the game down to a crawl.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Well those two calls were absolutely awful. I didn't think Babcock would complain, but I am behind him on those calls.

CJ

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Congrats to the Wings! You fought through that bs hooking penalty at the end. Datsyuk gets a taken down with 40 seconds to go trying to clear, but no call there. The Pens will be back, they have a nice young team.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Reading other message boards is an indication of the maturity and class of HTF members. Elsewhere, it's non-stop "your team sucks", "no your team sucks".

So, in that spirit, the Penguins should be proud of their effort this playoff season. It was never a sure thing in my mind, and they never quit through until the very end.

I'm proud to be a Wings fan. Not only did they win, but they did it with grace and quiet professionalism. Anyone who is a real hockey fan, regardless of their team affiliation, should acknowledge and appreciate that this was a great series won by a great group of guys.

Parade Friday at 11:00!!!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the last twelve minutes of the game. Congrats to the Red Wings but...man.....I thought they had blown it in the last two seconds. That Pen player almost got it in on the short side. Then it took a funny bounce over Osgood and rolled parallel to the goal line. He got lucky on that one.

Guess my buddy called the ball wrong on this series!

I told him you can't discount experience. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was on the road and didn't get to watch, but I enjoyed listening to the Detroit feed on XM. Waiting for the Sportscenter recap now. What a great year to be a Red Wings fan. This was one impressive team. Pittsburgh never gave up and they deserve a ton of credit for that. I hope for the HTF's Pittsburgh fans that they can keep the core of their team together because they are a good team and will be better for the experience.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Wings must have not wanted to win the series at home. When they had the chance to do that, they pretty much tank the game at home, only to come out strong in the next game on the road.

First, against the Stars in the conference finals, and last night against the Penguins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks