What's new

2008 Stanley Cup finals (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

CBC is carried by a local affiliate station; however, I'm located near the centre of town and their transmission tower is located well out of town. Normally, this should not be a problem but ever since cable and satellite took over the market the over-the-air reception has been terrible. The local maintains the service only because of a requirement to do so, but I'm sure that they expend very little money on maintenance.

I'd swear their transmitter doesn't have enough power to light up a light bulb with all of the snow, ghosting, and interference that shows up in their OTA signal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's too bad, Edwin. CBC's coverage is 1000% better than Versus or NBC. The only thing those two networks have over Hockey Night in Canada (at least here) is picture quality. We cannot get CBC in HDTV here in the Detroit area.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That's really too bad Edwin. The first game was very entertaining (and not just because the Wings won, but that did help my enjoyment :)). It was an up-tempo game with a lot of end to end action. Both of these teams can really skate (and they can still hit too). The first period was really close. Detroit started to take over in the second, but the score was still tight. The third? Well, that is where you needed to be a Detroit fan.

It was a great start for Detroit, but I'd still say the series has a way to go. Pittsburgh will play better. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if the Wings won it in four or five, but I'm expecting it to be tougher than that. As long as Detroit wins it, I'm good :)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't realize that the Penguins were cheap-shot artists.

Nice, punching Franzen - a guy returning from concussion symptoms - in the head not once but twice.

Real classy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i've been watching and loving hockey since 1974 when i became a fan watching the flyers bruise their way to the cup.
i loved it then, but i think the after the whistle stuff that happens nearly every whistle is what makes it hard for me to watch hockey now.

i really think that it's hard to take the NHL as a serious league anymore with all the stuff that goes on after plays are over.
it's really just a joke.

i just can't figure out why it's excepted behavior to punch people in the face
after whistles and during the flow of the game.

football and maybe Basketball has just as much contact during the game as hockey but in those sports it's not normal or excepted behavior to grab everybody by the head or neck and punch people in the face nearly every whistle without punishment.

the other thing is the officials are so bad it is laughable.
the goaltender interference penalties are hard to believe, seems
like they're making it up as they go along.

the end of game 2 is a perfect example of all the nonsense that is completely
unnecessary in the league now.
None of the other major sports allows any of that stuff to happen,
when it does it's very rare.

ok i'm done sorry for the digress.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I love my Pens but Detroit looks simply awesome so far. Their puck posession skills are simply amazing. They always seem to have a red jersey at the right place at the right time. They are taking apart a good team with surgical skill.

Hearing some of those post-game comments from the Pens, they are starting to come across as whiney losers. I am not proud of them at this moment--losing is part of the game, but at least do it with some class.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
What have they been saying? I haven't heard anything, only a little complaining about obstruction.

CJ

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I don't watch CBC, and I have always heard people refer to Don Cherry. I saw him on ESPN the other night after the game and what a tool that guy is. He doesn't seem to hide his disdain for the Red Wings, and basically said they are only winning because of the "new" NHL. He is more annoying than Stephen A. Smith.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

99% of Cherry is simply an act. He's become famous for his outrageous statements, so now he believes he has to continue to be controversial, as that's what he's being paid for. The guy is mostly hot air. I've never been a fan of his act.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
That was Malkin who said he was tired, although that was probably said through a translator, so some of the original meaning could have been lost. Of course they're tired, I'm sure Detroit is tired too.

On top of the obstruction comments, Therrien called Osgood a diver. I just don't like to hear excuses, especially from the head coach. (I didn't like hearing it from Mike Holmgren when the Steelers beat the Seahawks in the Superbowl, so I have to hold the same standard for the coaches of the teams I root for.) Do your talking on the ice and get some goals.

NBC is probably really hoping for a big Pens win tonight!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. I'm glad that it wasn't Crosby (I wonder how Cherry got that confused?) and it seems like Malkin's comment could've been taken a bit out of context. I too am sure they are all tired, but it is not something you come out and say when you are playing for the Cup.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Looks like it could be a series folks! I knew Pittsburgh would be tough in Mellon and Crosby came through big for the Penguins. The first half of the first period continued the Wings dominance, but then Pittsburgh got it going. Detroit fought back like I though they would. They just couldn't tie it up despite having some good chances.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Now that felt like a Stanley Cup Finals game! Such intensity on both sides. I was getting exhausted just watching them battle back and forth. That last save Osgood made was amazing, I was literally screaming at the screen as the puck moved past him towards the line, and he turned around and snagged it. And I couldn't get enough of watching Brooks Orpik's checking ini the third period. Hopefully the Pens can get another win on Saturday and keep the series alive a bit longer.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Well, looks like the Penguins are finished after tonight.

I've watched the lone Penguin goal about five times now, and I am still trying to figure out how Sidney Crosby got credit for an assist. Maybe I don't understand the scoring rules enough, but that was a gift IMHO.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Man, I knew the Red Wings were good, but sheesh...these guys make the rest of the teams look like they belong in another league. When the Pens couldn't even score on that 5 on 3, I knew that game was over. It would be nice if the Pens could steal a win on the road so they could at least play one more home game, but maybe it would be less painful if they just lost and got it over with. Oh, who am I kidding, I'll watch it to the end.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think that Zetterberg tying up Crosby near the Wing's goal during the 5 on 3 was the play of the series. At least so far anyway. Curious to see what the Penguins can do tonight; although I expect Detroit will close out the series this evening.

- Walter.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss

I completely agree with the play-of-the-series thought.

It was a little sad watching the post conference. Crosby was asked about that play and he basically just shrugged it completely off. Loosely quoted "Well, I think anyone could have done that." Sid and the coach both complain about how he thinks Detroit is a bunch of fakers. It just seemed so silly to listen to these guys whining.

Then you watch the Red Wings in the post conference and they're talking about how great pittsburgh is, how talented the players are, how great the goalie is, how they've been really fortunate, etc. Zetterberg was asked about his performance in game 4 and he said a simple "good." I get the feeling that if it were crosby who had won and was sitting there, he'd have said "Well, I played the best game of my life and it was incredible." I really like the humbleness that the Red Wings have.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
How about that save by Fleury? Jesus.

The Wings look up and down, I'd like to see a 3rd period like we're used to seeing from them. Malkin is nowhere to be found. Best player in the game so far has got to be Crosby. I love my Wings, but that kid's got skills like very few we've ever seen.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks