What's new

2004 NCAA Basketball "March Madness"Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, now we are in conference season, and the pretenders and the contenders are becoming more clear as the weeks roll on.

I did have a question after watching highlights of ACC action in the early 1990's while watching the GT-Wake Forest game last night:

When the the length of shorts get so long nowadays? I was watching highlights of GT's Lethal Weapon 3 team (Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and Brian Oliver) from 1991 I think, and all the players were still wearing those short John Stockton shorts at the time.

Nowadays, the shorts are so long that they covers up players calves easily.

BTW, good road win for GT over Wake Forest who hadn't lost at home in quite a while.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
This is about the only thing I know about this season in college hoops, and that is that it is a really bad thing to be ranked number 1.

I'm going to have to know more than that if I hope to do better in my NCAA bracket than last year, of course I couldn't do much worse, nothing like having your whole pool recked for good before the second sunday had even started.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
When did the length of shorts get so long nowadays? I was watching highlights of GT's Lethal Weapon 3 team (Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson, and Brian Oliver) from 1991 I think, and all the players were still wearing those short John Stockton shorts at the time.
I am almost 99% sure that the University of Michigan's Fab Five: Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson, are responsible for the introduction of the "past-the-knee-length" basketball shorts to the present day's on-court fashions. I think that was the 1991-1992 season.
http://www.detnews.com/2002/um/0203/...rts-451445.htm

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Duke Vs. Maryland, and Cincinnati Vs. Louisville should be 2 pretty good games tonight, the Duke Maryland rivalry is always fun.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry Dome, as a 1996 grad, I can tell you college bball gets way more fun after you graduate! Sure you miss out on the cheap season tix for students, but you have a hell of a lot more time to watch other teams play! March Madness is cool when you can keep up with nearly every game without worrying about studying for exams ;)

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Yeah...with all due respect, not knocking you or anything Dome because I've been there done that. But having not to worry about an exam the next day or studying sure makes college basketball more appreciable to watch.

That Duke/Maryland game should be interesting. Maryland doesn't have the experience that they have had in recent meetings with Duke, but funnier things have happened in games between these two teams. Especially, in the past few years. We'll see what the very young Terps can do against Duke. Duke could have all freshman on the floor and would still play like they were a veteran team. Coach K is magic, or as close as you can get to basketball's version of Midas (with the exception of John Wooden, of course).

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
It looks like the Big 12 has been as overranked in basketball as they were in football. Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, and Kansas have all shown that their early-season lofty rankings were grossly exaggerated.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
UNC blows a 24 point lead and gets beat by 9 in overtime at FSU. Ouch. UNC's got a great 1st team, but their bench is what is killing them in the second half of games.

Richmond upsets KU by a shot at the buzzer.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Big Ten is really down this year, but to be honest, that makes me want to watch every Big Ten game I can, and I ordered the second half of the season from DishNetwork (ESPN Full Court), so I'm ready to go!

I'm a Purdue alum., and I'm pretty proud of my team so far. They had a big win over Duke at the Alaskan Shootout and a win over Wisconsin in the Big Ten, but their losses kill me!:

- lost in OT to Oklahoma
- lost by 2 at Colorado St. due to two freak 3-pointers in
the last second of play.
- lost by 1 at home to Southern Methodist
- lost the Big Ten opener at Iowa

It should be an interesting battle for the Big Ten title. We definitely won't be getting anywhere near 7 teams in to the tournament this year :)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Hopefully UNC can do the same thing to Duke on Sat. In the meantime, NC State is having a pitiful 1st half against Maryland.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
What a heart breaker (for UNC fans)! UNC down 11 pts with 7 mins left and rallies to take the lead only to lose by 1 pt. Next stop NCAA tournament. I have 1 son at UNC and another starting NC State in the Fall. So I'll switch my allegence to State now.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
1 man's heartbreak is another's joy. The Alma Mater is doing fine this year ....and even better without Mr. Superstar, Chris Bosh, I spitefully add.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks