What's new

2003 Various Guild nominees (Actors, Producers, Cinematographers, Art Directors) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with the Costume Designers Guild Awards.
Winners are in bold
These are in order of when the winners were announced.
Good links to have:
Alex Fung's Film page at
Link Removed and
Link Removed
2003 Guild Awards:
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS (winner listed)
ART DIRECTORS GUILD (winners listed)
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS (winners listed)
DIRECTORS GUILD (winner listed)
PRODUCERS GUILD (winner listed)
WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA (winners listed)
CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY (winner listed)
SCREEN ACTORS GUILD (winners listed)
HOLLYWOOD MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLIST GUILD (winners listed)
COSTUME DESIGNERS GUILD (winners listed)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS
Winner:
Conrad Hall - Road to Perdition
Other nominees:
Michael Ballhaus, ASC ("Gangs of New York")
Pawel Edelman ("The Pianist")
Ed Lachman, ASC ("Far From Heaven")
Rodrigo Prieto, ASC ("Frida")
(Last year's winner: Roger Deakins, The Man Who Wasn't There (USA Films))
ART DIRECTORS GUILD
Category I - Period or Fantasy Films
Winner:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Grant Major
Other nominees:
Chicago - John Myhre
Gangs of New York - Dante Ferretti
Minority Report - Alex McDowell
Road to Perdition - Dennis Gassner
(Last year's winner: Moulin Rouge (Fox), Catherine Martin, production designer)
===
Category II - Contemporary Films
Winner:
Catch Me if You Can - Jeannine Oppewall
Other nominees:
The Bourne Identity - Dan Weil
The Hours - Maria Djurkovic
One Hour Photo - Tom Foden
Panic Room - Arthur Max
(Last year's winner: Amélie (Miramax), Aline Bonetto, production designer)
AMERICAN CINEMA EDITORS
Best Edited Feature Film (Dramatic)
Winner:
Gangs of New York - Thelma Schoonmaker
Other nominees:
About Schmidt - Kevin Tent
The Hours - Peter Boyle
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - D. Michael Horton
Minority Report - Michael Kahn
(Last year's winner: Black Hawk Down (Columbia), Pietro Scalia)
===
Best Edited Feature Film (Comedy or Musical)
Winner:
Chicago - Martin Walsh
Other nominees:
About a Boy - Nick Moore
Adaptation - Eric Zumbrunnen
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Mia Goldman
Punch-Drunk Love - Leslie Jones
(Last year's winner: Moulin Rouge (Fox), Jill Bilcock)
===
Best Edited Documentary
Winner:
Bowling for Columbine - Kurt Engfehr
Other nominees:
The Kid Stays in the Picture - Jun Diaz
Sounds of Memphis - Allan Holzman, A.C.E.
(Last year's winner: New York: A Documentary Film - Episode 7 "The City And The World (1945-2000)" (Steeplechase), Juliana Parroni)
DIRECTORS GUILD
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film
Winner:
Rob Marshall - Chicago
Other nominees:
Stephen Daldry - The Hours
Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Roman Polanski - The Pianist
Martin Scorsese - Gangs of New York
(Last year's winner: Ron Howard, A Beautiful Mind (Universal))
PRODUCERS GUILD
Darryl F. Zanuck Producer of the Year Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures
Winner:
Chicago (Miramax)
Other nominees:
Adaptation (Colombia/Sony Pictures Ent.)
Gangs of New York (Miramax)
My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding (IFC Films)
Road to Perdition (20th Century Fox/Dreamworks)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (New Line Cinema)
(Last year's winner: Moulin Rouge (Fox), Produced by Martin Brown, Baz Luhrmann and Fred Baron)
WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA (winners announced March 8th, 2003)
Best Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Winner:
Bowling for Columbine, Written by Michael Moore
Other nominees:
Antwone Fisher, Written by Antwone Fisher
Far From Heaven, Written by Todd Haynes
Gangs of New York, Written by Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian & Kenneth Lonergan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Written by Nia Vardalos
(Last year's winner: Gosford Park (USA Films), Written by Julian Fellowes)
===
Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Winner:
The Hours, Adapted by David Hare
Other nominees:
About a Boy, Adapted by Peter Hedges & Chris Weitz & Paul Weitz
About Schmidt, Adapted by Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor
Adaptation, Adapted by Charlie Kaufman & Donald Kaufman
Chicago, Adapted by Bill Condon
(Last year's winner: A Beautiful Mind (Universal), Written by Akiva Goldsman, based on the book by Sylvia Nasar)
CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY (winner announced March 8, 2003)
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing - Feature
Winner:
Road To Perdition
Other nominees:
Catch Me If You Can
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Spider-Man
(Last year's winner: The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (New Line))
SCREEN ACTORS GUILD (winners announced March 9, 2003)
Theatrical Motion Pictures
For Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Winner:
Daniel Day-Lewis - Gangs of New York
Other nominees:
Adrien Brody - The Pianist
Nicolas Cage - Adaptation
Richard Gere - Chicago
Jack Nicholson - About Schmidt
(Last year's winner: Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind - John Nash (Universal Pictures))
===
For Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Winner:
Renee Zellweger - Chicago
Other nominees:
Salma Hayek - Frida
Nicole Kidman - The Hours
Diane Lane - Unfaithful
Julianne Moore - Far From Heaven
(Last year's winner: Halle Berry, Monster's Ball - Leticia Musgrove (Lions Gate Films))
===
For Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner:
Christopher Walken - Catch Me If You Can
Other nominees:
Chris Cooper - Adaptation
Ed Harris - The Hours
Alfred Molina - Frida
Dennis Quaid - Far From Heaven
(Last year's winner: Ian McKellen, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Gandalf (New Line Cinema))
===
For Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Winner:
Catherine Zeta-Jones - Chicago
Other nominees:
Kathy Bates - About Schmidt
Julianne Moore - The Hours
Michelle Pfeiffer - White Oleander
Queen Latifah - Chicago
(Last year's winner: Helen Mirren, Gosford Park - Mrs. Wilson (USA Films))
===
For Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Theatrical Motion Picture
Winner:
Chicago
Other nominees:
Adaptation
The Hours
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
(Last year's winner: Gosford Park (USA Films))
HOLLYWOOD MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLIST GUILD
Best Contemporary Makeup - Feature
Winner:
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Ann Brodie
Other nominees:
8 Mile
Spider-Man
(Last year's winner: Mulholland Dr. (Universal Focus), Julie Pearce, Randy Westgate, Selina Jayne)
===
Best Period Makeup - Feature
Winner:
Chicago - Samuel Jordan, Patricia Keighran, Edelgard Pfuegl
Other nominees:
Road to Perdition
Frida
(Last year's winner: Moulin Rouge (Fox), Maurizio Silvi, Vincenzo Mastrantonio, Lesley Vanderwalt)
===
Best Character Makeup - Feature
Winner:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Peter King, Peter Owen
Other nominees:
Master of Disguise
Red Dragon
(Last year's winner: The Royal Tenenbaums (Buena Vista), Naomi Donne, Kate Biscoe)
===
Best Special Effects Makeup - Feature
Winner:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Gino Acevedo, Jason Docerty, Richard Taylor
Other nominees:
Frida
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
(Last year's winner: Planet Of The Apes (Fox), Rick Baker, Kazuhiro Tsuji, Toni G.)
===============
Best Contemporary Hair Styling - Feature
Winner:
Sorority Boys - Donna Gilbert, Joanne Harris
Other nominees:
Die Another Day
Sweet Home Alabama
(Last year's winner: Legally Blonde (MGM), Joy Zapata, Linda Arnold)
===
Best Period Hair Styling - Feature
Winner:
Gangs of New York - Aldo Signoretti
Other nominees:
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Frida
(Last year's winner: Moulin Rouge (Fox), Aldo Signoretti, Ferdinando Merolla, Giorgio Gregorini)
===
Best Character Hair Styling - Feature
Winner:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Peter Owen, Peter King
Other nominees:
Austin Powers in Goldmember
Frida
(Last year's winner: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (DreamWorks), Candace Neal, Karen Myers, Terry Baliel)
COSTUME DESIGNERS GUILD
Best Achievement In Contemporary Costume Design
Winner:
About Schmidt - Wendy Chuck
Other nominees:
About a Boy - Joanna Johnston
Igby Goes Down - Sarah Edwards
Unfaithful - Ellen Mirojnick
White Oleander - Susie DeSanto
(Last year's winner: Karen Patch, The Royal Tenenbaums (Touchstone))
===
Best Achievement In Period/Fantasy Costume Design
Winner:
Chicago - Colleen Atwood
Other nominees:
Frida - Julie Weiss
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Ngila Dickson
Road to Perdition - Albert Wolsky
(Last year's winner: Judianna Makovsky, Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone (Warner Bros.))

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
========
AFI Awards Won't Be Televised
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The American Film Institute ( news - web sites) Awards, which suffered from low TV ratings and the absence of many celebrity winners during its inaugural show, won't have its second ceremony televised.
This year's winners will be announced Dec. 16, with a luncheon planned for honorees on Jan. 16.
AFI, best known for its lists ranking all-time top American films or screen stars, also plans to revamp the honors to recognize top 10 lists of movies, television shows and "moments" that had significance over the past year.
AFI President Jean Picker Firstenberg said in a written statement Tuesday she expects the ceremony to continue evolving in coming years.
Nominees will be chosen by two 13-member committees — one each for movies and television. Deadline for television submissions is Nov. 8 and Dec. 2 for motion pictures.
Last year's experimental AFI Awards broadcast included nominees in 12 movie categories, including acting, directing and writing honors, and seven television categories, mostly distributed to actors.
Among the no-shows winners were Denzel Washington, Robert Altman, Gene Hackman, Jennifer Connelly and James Gandolfini.
The live CBS telecast on Jan. 5 drew only 3.9 million households, according to Nielsen Media Research. By contrast, the last Golden Globe Awards ( news - web sites) were seen in 15.7 million homes.
===========
Too bad. Last year they chose LOTR:FOTR as Movie of the Year and I missed it :frowning: .

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the inaugural show was that they tried to stretch a 60-minute material into a bloated 2-hour production. It wasn't fun at all. Oh well, maybe all for the better.

~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In addition, at this time IMO, an AFI award has zero weight in regard to prestige.
That may change in time, but I would say currently it's about on par with an MTV movie award or even a People's Choice award.;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Tino: In addition, at this time IMO, an AFI award has zero weight in regard to prestige.
I would say currently it's about on par with an MTV movie award or even a People's Choice award.
Ouch! I think people regard the American Film Institute with a bit more respect than that! It was the first big bang for LOTR, at least, and other nominations and awards followed. Of course, I don't know if there was any cause and effect, but it might have made some people (like me) sit up and take notice that the movie might be (and deserves to be) popping up in other upcoming awards, such as the Golden Globes and Oscars. Don't you think the National Review award to Moulin Rouge did the same thing, made people take notice?

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I really don't know how and if the AFI Awards show strategy and format would have worked anyway. Now bear with me for a minute as I am working strictly from memory and the fine details may not be correct as I remember them.

They basically had 10 films to profile leading up to their main pick. With a 2-hour show, each film had about 10 minutes to itself. The AFI wanted to be the very first film awards show of the year. So they televise it during the first week in January.

Well, the problem with this is some of the films being profiled have not been widely released. Individuals from the selecting committee would come on and make comments about the acting performances, the story and its technical elements. At one point, they even showed key scenes from certain films I haven't seen that I had to walk away from the TV or turn it off for a few minutes.

I thought this was the show's biggest problem. At least with the Oscars held much later, the viewing public has seen the films in question and very little is spoiled. And as such, the interest is there to actually watch it ( the Awards show).

~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do people here really consider an AFI award to mean much?:confused:
That's not a knock towards the AFI, but just my personal observation. Like I said, perhaps in the future it will hold more prestige, but right now, I rank it as just another meaningless award. I would rank The Golden Globes, The National Society Of Film Critics, The National Board Of Review, The various Big City Critics awards all higher.
FWIW, I believe that there is only ONE award that really matters, the Oscar.
Oops....lookout....here come the Oscar bashers!:D

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree with Tino that as far as prestige, the AFI Awards does not hold that much weight both by the general viewing public and industry people. Now, the AFI organization itself does some very good work but its annual film awards show is still in its infancy to carry any prestige.

In addition, they need to stop doing this annual 100 Best of list lest they risk having their name diluted.

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
but I would say currently it's about on par with an MTV movie award or even a People's Choice award.
Sorry Tino, you are right that it has no prestige, but if you are telling me that fellow actors, professional (respected) critics, producers, etc voting on awards is ON PAR WITH teenage girls calling TRL...the answer is no they aren't on par.
The AFI STRONGLY follows the Oscars (with a touch of the Globes thanks to critic involvement) in WHO picks the winners.
I don't argue that the general public especially could care less, or that even actors see it as one more freaking show to go to, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the SELECTION COMMITTEE or their methods.
I think the AFI's are the BEST awards concept going, considering who is selecting and the fact that they sit in a room and hash these choices out. That aspect helps counter the politics that everyone says plague the other "prestigious" awards.
Popular or recognized does not equal "good".
The fact that the AFIs were so ignored that they are having trouble building steam is too bad. Hopefully the group will try to continue without TV until they earn enough respect. It worked for the Globes (somehow). And its not like the DGA awards are on TV (they aren't are they ;) ).
Seriously though, is PAX or ABC Family so full of good stuff that they couldn't fit in the AFIs? ;) :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was the show's biggest problem. At least with the Oscars held much later, the viewing public has seen the films in question and very little is spoiled.
So then why did the Oscars just move up a month? I don't know that Hollywood totally agrees with the "later is better" concept. Or perhaps there is a golden point somewhere between JAN and MAR...called FEB. :)
I think the problem is much simpler than "when". AFI is just new. The only reason any other "new" awards (such as MTV) have any place in entertainment is because they have some schtick to catch another group (not to mention a host network guaranteed). But most of these awards have been going for many years now.
I was surprised that the AFI tried to crack into the awards SHOW battle right off the bat. That didn't make sense to me. Heck, why not follow their specials concept and put together people discussing the films/people that won and were nominated and then showing clips (as with the 100 lists) rather than do a regular awards show.
There is no such thing as tradition in a bottle.
Hey, I've been to all 3 US Grand Prix and a ton of Indy 500s (also including the last 3). Despite all the history and prestige of F1 racing, the USGP has jack shit of the power, history, and prestige of the Indy 500. You don't just snap your fingers and create a tradition.
AFI should just plug away till they get some history behind them, then turn to a TV award show format (at least network).

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I agree with Seth that AFI has the best awards concept.

As for the show, I liked it alot; it was nice to see a serious awards show for movies. The only problem I had with it was the TV portion.

~T

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
So then why did the Oscars just move up a month?
Because having it at the end of March is way too late. As a result of the Oscar change, every other awards show is now thinking about moving theirs as well. One major awards show (I believe the SAG) already moved theirs up as a result of the Oscar change.

In addition, we will be seeing less platform release films as a result of the Oscar scheduling change. Variety recently did a cover story on this whole thing.

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I know Edwin, that's why I mentioned FEB at the "perfect" spot.
I would love to see it get even closer to JAN 1 to be honest, exactly to stop or alter that platform release pattern. At least get the films to theaters in the qualifying year. That really bugs me to be honest, partly for the reasons you mentioned with the AFIs even (spoilers, no opinion because you haven't seen half the films yet, etc).
I also wondered just a bit if the move up put an extra squeeze on the AFIs. Everybody else is going to have to adjust at least a little bit.
BTW, I had a little formula for Best Pix winner that included the guild noms, winners, globes nom/winners, etc. It seems like it picked FOTR last year by an inch, but it might have been the opposite (ABM by an inch). Anyway, I hope to tweek it with last years results and see if it can predict correctly this year.
PS - finally just saw that Chicago trailer. Looks like it could be a runner, though it seems that I recall some early viewers saying it wasn't so strong after all. Whatever, I'm still interested at this point. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I dug up the formula and I was wrong. It did pick Beautiful Mind to win just slightly over FOTR with MR coming in a not far off third.

So I will be trying it again once we get the Guild noms and wins, along with the Oscar noms.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The Art Directors Guild noms are in:

Category I - Period or Fantasy Films nominees:

Chicago
Gangs of New York
Minority Report
Road to Perdition

---

Category II - Contemporary Films nominees:

The Bourne Identity
Catch Me if You Can
The Hours
One Hour Photo
Panic Room

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Seth, I've also just discovered and have been looking at Sijmen's Oscar Experiment. All 3 sites (including Alex Fung) are interesting. I'd never much strayed beyond Alex's site before, so it nice to find these other two.
(I updated the dates and changed categories around to reflect the awards date)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see it get even closer to JAN 1 to be honest, exactly to stop or alter that platform release pattern. At least get the films to theaters in the qualifying year. That really bugs me to be honest, partly for the reasons you mentioned with the AFIs even (spoilers, no opinion because you haven't seen half the films yet, etc).
I noticed this and remembered that the SAG nominating ballots were due Fri. Nov. 22, 2002, which means that either a whole lot of people had some valuable screeners (none of which leaked) or they nominated without seeing many of the big end-of-year movies. It's hard to believe either one happened. To think that NOT ONE screener of Gangs of New York, The Two Towers, Chicago or Catch Me If You Can got out? That's some tight security. I'd love to know the behind-the-scenes. Anyone know a SAG member?

I know that there's a nominating committee of 2100 active members. They're drawn by lottery and choose only theatrical motion pictures (a different 2100 SAG members are chosen by lottery to nominate the TV awards). They pick the nominations, which then get sent to the 98,000 SAG membership (according to the SAG web site) to vote.

I can't WAIT to see the SAG nominations. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out next year with everything moved up.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here are the Producers Guild nominees:

Adaptation (Sony)
Chicago (Miramax)
Gangs of New York (Miramax)
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (IFC Films)
Road to Perdition (Dreamworks)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (New Line)

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks