What's new

2002 Altima ? (1 Viewer)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to know if any one here has one yet or has driven on. IF so what are your impressoin. I am really thinking about getting one. Been doing some research and test drove one tonight. I just wanted to get some 1st hand info if any of you are familiar with the car.
Thanks

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ahh... Boy nissan has really turned around their lineup...
First it was the Xterra, then the 222HP Maxima, and so on and so on...
Now:
Sentra SE-R SpecV - 180HP
Xterra - 210HP
Fronteir - 210HP
2002 altima - 240HP
2002 (2003?) Maxima - 260HP
Infiniti Q45 - 340HP...
This is completely from memory after reading an article on the 2002 Altima in Car and Driver... So dont shoot if i get something wrong:
The Altima is beginning to look real good.. nice styleing, HUGE POWER over its competitors the recently redesigned Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord (200 and 180 respectively???), its 240HP comes from a slightly modified version of the Maxima Powerplant... To compensate for the power, Nissan plans to up the maxima's output to 260... The Altima is planned to compete in Maxima's old sector, the large sedans like the Camry and Accord, witht he maxima moving up...
good preview from C&D Must read: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...ssanaltima.xml
IMHO Car and Driver is THE BEST automotive magazine.. nice writers, very complete reviews and specs...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I drive a 1990 Maxima and love everything about it. Nissan makes quality cars. It's nice to hear the Altima is more powerful than the Camry and Accord. The Altima isn't even the flagship car for Nissan of US.
And even if you get one of the 3 inline 4 Altimas, they're still at 180hp which is great for a 4cyl. Nice article Nick, here's my fav part:
Nissan's Altima 3.5 SE has a downgraded power output compared with the 2002 Maxima (240 versus 260 horsepower), but that's still enough to spank the Camry and the Accord (194 and 200 horsepower, respectively). So is its husky torque peak of 246 pound-feet. As you'd expect, the V-6 tows this car around with considerable authority, offering effortless low-end response and really intense urge as the tach climbs into the 5000s.

Jin E

Second Unit
Nissan makes quality cars.
They sure do! I have 180k on my Nissan pickup truck with the original clutch. Since owning the truck I have replaced 1 starter solenoid ($30), 2 batteries, 3 sets of tires, spark plugs, various filters from time to time, and I think I changed the oil once or twice. I like what I'm seeing from Nissan with their new cars. Their new sedans have fresh styling, good horsepower, and look darned fun to drive. I test drove a 2001 145hp Sentra SE... that it was a BLAST! I can't imagine that car with 180 ponies in it... the SE felt like a little Maxima. I just hope they can keep their car prices down... because they offer a lot of bang for the buck.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I'm driving a 2001 company leased Altima, it's not as roomy, does not handle, have the pep or feel as good as 97 Camry I gave back. (Both are 4 cylinder.)
But it's free!
[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 29, 2001 at 10:54 AM]

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I'm driving a 2001 company leased Altima, it's not as roomy, does not handle, have the pep or feel as good as 97 Camry I gave back. (Both are 4 cylinder.)
Ahh, but now the Altima gets what it needed all along, the old Maxima powerplant. This car should now be smokin'.
yum.gif

-Nathan the Newbie

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have always thought the Altima was the ugliest car I have ever seen. But the new one (2002) if it looks anything like it looks on TV is really smokin'.
--
Holadem

Eric Scott

Second Unit
I had a choice of a few better vehicles, but my boss in a kind of "pleading tone" mentioned that the Altima came with $1500 damage deduction.
So to show my concern for the bottom line, I took it.
I agree with Holadem, this 2001 keeps your ego in check.
Where can I get one bumper stickers that says, "This is Wifes Car?"

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
BAH the 98-01 altimas are fine! with 150 horse they're better off than most compacts.
I think where you're going wrong is in comparing a 01 alty to a camry, that is NOT their competition, the altima competes with the civic, the maxima competes with camry and accord... so of course the altima is smaller than a camry.. it's supposed to be.
nissans general business model has been offer something a little bigger, with more features and power for less than honda.
the 02 is a different story, since the sentra moves to alty, alty to max, max to compete with avalon more or less..
[Edited last by Philip_G on September 30, 2001 at 01:53 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I adore my 2001 Altima. I've had it for 8 months and it's the best car I've ever driven. Took it a couple of states away - and I hate road trips - and didn't mind it a bit, even though I did 100% of the driving.
To each their own, I guess. I saw a commercial the other night for the '02 Altima, and how improved it was. I said to my wife, "How could they make it better?". Her reply was to shake her head and say, "I can't imagine!". We like it. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
WeThePeople.jpg

Section 8. The Congress shall have Power To declare War, ...To raise and support Armies...To provide and maintain a Navy; To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces; To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in Service of the United States. "SEEK JUSTICE, NOT REVENGE...AND LET NO INNOCENT BE HARMED IN THE PROCESS!"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I drive a 2000 Altima and like it a lot. I would trade it in for a 2002 if I had the money. 240 HP (for the V6) and it's now styled to look like a Lexus. I really like the new body. Ah well, maybe someday...
wink.gif

Scott H

Supporting Actor
the altima competes with the civic
I do not believe that's correct. The Sentra competes with the Civic. Regarding Toyota I believe the Altima competes with the Camry, and the Maxima competes with the Avalon.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How does the new Altima compare in interior room to the new redesigned Camry? I will be looking to replace my '93 Camry V6 XLE in about a year, and really do not want anything smaller. I've always been impressed with Nissan's vehicles -- we are on our 2nd Mercury Villager, which is a rebadged Nissan Quest.
It would be tough not to buy another Camry, though. This one has been a gem -- 110,000 miles, with only new tires, plugs, battery and brakes (along with proper fluid replacements, of course).
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4
[Edited last by Scott Merryfield on October 01, 2001 at 09:07 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
quote:
I do not believe that's correct. The Sentra competes with the Civic. Regarding Toyota I believe the Altima competes with the Camry, and the Maxima competes with the Avalon.
[/quote]
Nope, they upsized all across the line. the Altima used to compete with the civic and the sentra below that, tercel ish type stuff.
now the sentra went to altima size (almost)
altima up to camry size
max not really much bigger, a little...
the altima was just the last to get the makeover
so the alty takes on accord and camry for 2002, it's not a fair comparison to compare a 93-2001 altima with a camry, an altima is a compact.
[Edited last by Philip_G on October 01, 2001 at 04:50 PM]

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the Altima and it looks good. I think one of the price tags I saw was around 25k. A couple of grand more and you get a Maxima. I did drive the Max and it is a mover. I currently have a 91 Max with over 260,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I even bought a used 91 Max for my daughter with 126,000 miles, that's how much I believe in them. I had Toyotas before and they are great cars too.
Every time someone gives me crap for buying a foreign car I just laugh. I know my car has paid for itself many times over.
------------------
Oh see the pretty deer. Does the deer have a little doe? Yea, two bucks! Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk

Stephen L

Second Unit
I went to the auto show this weekend with my wife in Boston and fell in love with the 2002 Altima. I was going there to look for a mid suv type , maybe Toyota Highlander or Nissan Xterra and wife was interested in a new mini van(Honda Oddy. or Kia Sedona).After seeing the Altima & checking it out inside and out this car won me over , great new styling and plenty of room inside.I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive , hopefully this week.We never had a Nissan only experiance with Honda & Toyota(Civic&Camry).
------------------
Steve

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Also, renowned Canadian car critic Jeremy Cato greatly praised the Altima both 1.8l version and the 3.5l version for the top of two different classes.
He also predicts the Altima is a very good possibility for the Car of the Year award.
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks