What's new

$2,000 Sound System vs. $400 Sound System (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:rolleyes

Why is this in the display devices area?

And yes, yes you will.

gregD

Second Unit
Poster should answer his own question by visiting a retailer and listening to demo systems at those respective price points... not so hard to do.

John S

Senior HTF Member
As a fellow astronomer, I can tell you 100% absolutely YES!!!!! Washington State makes astronomy tough on you weather wise I'll bet. (Sorry I checked out your profile to determine if the question was serious one or not)

I did notice you are very new to the forums.

Welcome to this treasure of HT/Audio/Video information.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it depends. If you live in a tiny apartment with thin walls and will only ever listen to the system at about 20% volume, it's unlikely you'll be able to tell much of a difference. If you have a huge room and plan on cranking the system, then the difference is going to be mind-boggling.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Even at low listening levels, you should notice a substantial difference in the clarity of sound and for HT, your ability to distinguish dialogue.

Since you ask the question, I’ll suggest that the question you should be asking, is, “Is $1,600 worth the difference in what I can hear?” Visit some retailers and some friends to help answer this question.

And remember not all $2,000 systems are created equal. At least one that I know of, performs at about a $400–$600 level.

Since you have asked the question in a forum where most members are reasonably serious about quality sound, we believe that the money is money well spent.

Others may well feel very differently.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So

I am also pondering this, after seeing him post two other "$xxxx vs $xxx better?" threads in a row in display devices. Especially the $1500 vs. $500 screen...

I mean, if he is HONESTLY curious about this, and is pondering if he should spend $2000 or $400 on a system, then okay fine. But seeing his other two, it just seems like he's throwing questions out there for us to answer...

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
if you like this hobby, you will try your best to get what your wallet will allow you.
and IMHO it's all about hobby, and if it's worth spending it, there is no price tag on it (not to mention upgrades-now there is lots of money)

if you just want something in your living room and only watch SDTV then $400 system would be good. Spend the rest $1600 elses where.

some folks in here will tell you that even with $2000 you can't buy a set of front speakers.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
If you took perhaps a $400 Yamaha HTIB and comapred it to perhaps something like a decent bookshelf system, Athena, Klipsch, JBL just to name a few, you will see a big difference.

The bookshelf's are going to have a better frequency responce and will be able to go up much higher in volume, and should sound somehwat more clear. Most HTIB's includes something like 2 1/2" drivers which really don't do much of any good in terms of a full-range of sound, some do include better though.

Go take a listen as well.... Also the recievers in HTIB's I have to found are usually not all that powerful as they are special models made for that specific HTIB, but there are of course a few recievers in HTIB's that are on the normal retail market that are good.

It's 50/50, but the sound will definantly be better regardless on a nice bookshelf system with a nice sub and reciever.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to HTF...and like everyone else has said...YES

I kow for a fact having worked in a high end A/V store. We had nice HTIB. Like the Boston HTIB where the 3 fronts were heavier then my surronds and they were 1/4 the size. Anybody remember that, I think is was the BA9000. Does that sound right. It has been so long since I've worked there. Anyway they couldn't compete with the big Klipsch, NHTs, Mirages, Monitor Audio and what ever else we sold. Like I said it has been awhile. I would recommend going to www.axiomaudio.com and looking at there speakers. I am saving up to buy 2 pr of their M22ti bookshelf and matching center. They are suppose to be really good speakers. But go and listen at your local A/V store and see for yourself. :D

Sorry I made that sound like you could listen to Axiom speakers in a store. unfortunatly you can't. I just meant to go and listen to what brands your local store sells. Sorry my bad

Drew_W

Screenwriter

I shall answer this very simply. Go listen. If you can't, save yourself the extra $1600 bucks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Yes and No depending on who you ask. If I were you I would listen for myself and decide.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Better still, Russell, read my post in your $1500/$500 screen thread, which I've quoted here for your convenience:

Again, thanks.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
No please give me $2000 and I will buy you the best $400 HTIB I can find and I will keep the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks