What's new

$12,000 budget, please help (1 Viewer)

KeithR

Second Unit
I disagree with most here....spend the majority on video. allocate 6-7k on the projector and screen. Don't spend 60% on your speakers...he wants a big screen, so give him one. Spending more for a projector has the most effect compared to a speaker upgrade. The "Wow" factor is just so much bigger.
For speaks, I recommend nOrh with SVS subs. BryanZ posted the price. I definitely would not spend 1/3 on a preamp as suggested above. This guy is still in receiver land with this budget, unless he goes with the new outlaw.
I also agree, that the poster is helping out someone who doesn't have the time or effort to do it himself. There is nothing wrong with that! Just don't let that fool him into buying a Runco....
KeithR

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
More reasonable set up:
No projector and acoustically transparent screen for now. I told you why in my last post.
Panasonic DVD-RP91K DVD-Video/DVD-Audio: $480 shipped at E-cost.com
Sherbourn 5/1500A five channel balanced amp: $2000 retail
Sherbourn 2/600A two channel balanced amp: $1,250 retail
Outlaw Audio Model 950 DTS-ES pre-amp: November? Less than $1,000 (sounds like a great starter pre-amp and then he can move from there).
Vandersteen phase-perfect boxless 3A version 2, NHT's music line, B&W (Nautilus or five CDM 9NT's- front l/c/r and side l/r and matching CDM speakers for the rear), Dynaudio, Tannoy, Paradigm Reference, Mirage, Aerial Acoustics, PSB's Stratus Goldi line, etc. speakers.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no offense Cheeku, but at that level of expenditure, I'd have considered contracting with a professional in your area who could have had some discussions with your boss to determine his preferences and then arranged some listening sessions, installation and the like. to my mind anyways that would have the greatest return on the dollar. if you go to other websites and pose the same question, you'll come up with another set of responses and so on and so on.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
This is a tricky thing to do with $12000.00.I would like to know where he came up with that number.I personally would spend $600.00 TO $800.00 on a good progressive scan DVD player that does DVD audio.About $1500.00 on a good receiver that has 6.1, THX post processing ,and DPL2.I would then spend about$4000.00 on a Mits 65 in widescreen T.V.I would then go with Klipsch all around with one 12in powered sub.I would go with the Klipsch because they are so efficient.Lets say about $2500.00 for theL/C/R and $600.00 for the surrounds and $600.00 for the sub.That leaves $2000.00 left for taxes,(no extended warranties)a panamax surge protector,component video cables ,digital cables,Speaker cables,and interconnects.I almost forgot about the equipment rack.Have fun!

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm consulting someone who has a $10k budget.
Receiver: B&K AVR307
Speakers: M&K S150 5-Piece
DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-RP91
Sub: SVS Ultra w/ S1000
Video: NEC LT150
We are still debating the screen and whether to go ahead and order the LT150. The rest of the equipment has already been delivered and set up. He chose the B&K 307 over the Denon 5800 thru a comparison at his dealer.
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks