What's new

10 questions from a newbie. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a newbie in the realm of home theater and I am thinking about buying a surround sound system, but I have many questions.
Questions:
1. Which of these is the better sytem the Kenwood HTB-205 or the Sony HTD-DW840.
2. HTB-205 comes with a 100 watt passive subwoofer (aka no RCA input) for a guy who is not much for big bass would this be sufficent.
3. Can you buy passive subwoofers.
4. HTB-205 receiver 500 watts x 5, but it comes with small satellite speakers. If I upgraded to a couple of tall speakers would it make a difference even though it would be the same wattage.
5. What is best type among one-way, two-way, and three-way speakers.
6. With higher wattage does it take less volume to hear full dynamic range.
7. Is it possible to use a Y-spliter on a coaxial digital in as long as only one unit is using it at a time or is their switch box for this.
8. Is dolby Pro Logic II any better then Pro Logic.
9. My current surround sound system consist of a cambridge soundworks four point speakers, and the speaker of my TV for the center (no sub).All of this comes out through the rca outs on my Apex-800 (Comes with its own dolby decoder). In all my surround sound system only have about 40 watts. will going from 40 watts with no sub to a 600 watt complete system show a HUGE!! difference.
10. If you know any other good systems or know a good way to build one for under $400 I would appreciate the info.
TIA :)
Chuck

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
1. Sony (Guessing, haven't heard either)

2. Maybe...receiver's with the sub amp built in are rare, and we prefer an RCA jack for a powered sub. If Kenny had that jack, no worries. But it doesn't so you'd be stuck with a passive powered by the Kenwood, unless you go another route - using a powered sub's speaker wire crossover. I'd go Sony here...

3. Yes, but they are usually big and bad (good) and need big amps. USUALLY...

4. Big difference for the better. Wattages are deceiving - I rarely use more than a few watts at a time, no matter what the speaker. Better speakers are better speakers, more power is good but not at all necessary.

5. 2-ways. But this is a huge subject. I personally believe in bookshelf 2 ways and a powered sub.

6. No. To be 3 db louder (Noticeable) you need 2x the power. Speakers are about 88 db for one watt, so 2 watts = 91db, 4 = 94 etc. By the way, 94 db is VERY LOUD. Very complex subject.

7. Not sure, I don't think so.

8. Yes. Much, I've heard. I don't have DPLII, just DPL. I like DPL, thanks very much. Instead of DPLII I have Logic7. No biggie.

9. Yes. Huge. But it's not the watts. It's the quality in the system's design and integration. Forget watts.

10. Good Luck!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Chuck,
Welcomo to HTF, now with your questions,
1)Sony, but you might try to search pioneer, they have for me the best home theaters in a box.
2)I think if the room is not so big, it is a good entry level power.
3)Yes
4)Maybe
5) I think two way are the best way to go, many poeple agrue that in some speakers the 3 way crossover might not get as good sound as a two way, but this is very confusing. But in some brands the three ways are better and in other are worst. But stick with two and you will be ok.
6) I agree with collin, but always is better to have more power than less, it is more common to damage a speaker by lack of power that to over power them.
7) I dont know, I wouldnt recomend it either.
8)Yes
9) I think it will.
10) Check pioneer they have good hometheater in a box, and I think they have two one around $250 and another around $400.
check
http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...10&image1.y=14
Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1. no opinion. Kenwood HTiBs seem to be highly regarded on this forum. I have only heard the $999 Sony, and it sounded very decent. I have yet to hear an HTiB for less than ~$700 that sounded good to ME.
2. what are the specs? It should do for now.
3. Yes, but WHY? You still need to amplify it.
4. Yes and no. The receiver is more likely 500 total, giving you only 100 x 5, optimistically. I would expect more in the neigborhood of less than 50wpc true output. Running speakers that draw significantly more current than the ones that come with the system might strain the amps and could actually damage the speakers if they are driven to distortion. More power may be necessary depending on the speakers used, especially with a passive sub.
5. Depends entirely on the speaker. Two way is the minimum, a single driver does not cut it.
6. Yes. HTiB will not deliver very dynamic music.
7. I would not do this with a splitter.
8. Yes, but it's not night and day. CS5.1 is better, IMO. Haven't heard Logic7.
9. Yes.
10. There is basically no way to build a good, complete 5.1 or better, separate system for under $400, new.

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys the info is handy keep it coming, also if you guys know any places will I can research about some of this technology that would be helpful.

ColinM are you a fan of space oddysey.

TIA
Chuck

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay...my turn! :D
1. never heard the sony, but kenwood is highly regarded
2. yes
3. yes, but no reason to. let the sub do the work, not the amp.
4. you would certainly change the tonal quality of the sound. do a search on "timbre matching" or check out the FAQ. i wouldn't change the speakers unless i was going to do all of them. you may be able to get away with different rears, but that's up to you.
5. you need at least a 2-way. a good 2-way can blow away a crappy 3-way. do NOT let that be a decision in which type of speaker to buy.
6. not sure what you're asking. i think to double the loudness you need 10x the power...or something like that. don't play the wattage game. just because Receiver-A can put out 150w/ch and Receiver-B "only" puts out 100w/ch doesn't mean that Receiver-A is better. yes, Receiver-A may put out 150 w/ch, but if it sounds like crap that loud...then what's the point?
7. not sure...doesn't sound like a good idea. why would you do that?
8. yes, without a doubt. read Link Removed
9. yes. the difference should be substantial. i think you'll notice the most improvement in the sound. don't plan on getting blown away with power, but everythig will sound much better...especially all the dialogue which will now come from a dedicated center instead of a (no offense) crappy tv speaker.
10. check out some of these Kenwood Systems. a couple are within your price range.
ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks