What's new

General Discussion The Stranger (1946) Olive version streaming? (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have the MGM DVD. Does anyone know if the Olive HD version, that uses the MGM print, is available from any of the ad-free streaming sources?
Thanks, Trevor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the MGM DVD. Does anyone know if the Olive HD version, that uses the MGM print, is available from any of the ad-free streaming sources?
Thanks, Trevor.
Do you want to spend money or are you just looking to see if it's available for free?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the reply. Generally ad-free means spending money. It's more important that it's the Olive transfer.
I have the 2017 Olive Blu-ray and compare it to the iTunes HD digital that I purchased a couple of years ago for $4.99. Basically, they appear to be derived from the same MGM scan as Leo the Lion roars at the beginning for both of them. However, I think Blu-ray has improved detail and a few less scratches than the digital. Stay away from the Film Chest HD digital.

MGM
1715630948387.png

Film Chest
1715631029756.png

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have the 2017 Olive Blu-ray and compare it to the iTunes HD digital that I purchased a couple of years ago for $4.99. Basically, they appear to be derived from the same MGM scan as Leo the Lion roars at the beginning for both of them. However, I think Blu-ray has improved detail and a few less scratches than the digital. Stay away from the Film Chest HD digital.

MGM
View attachment 221891

Film Chest
View attachment 221892
ATV+ online only shows Filmchest. The ATV+ app on my LG TV shows multiple versions in the How To Watch section. Out of curiosity I'll rent the MGM to see how it compares with my DVD. Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ATV+ online only shows Filmchest. The ATV+ app on my LG TV shows multiple versions in the How To Watch section. Out of curiosity I'll rent the MGM to see how it compares with my DVD. Thanks!
The bugs with ATV+ is the reason why I haven't upgraded my ATV4K devices to the latest firmware. Both, Film Chest and MGM digitals are clearly listed on iTunes.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The Stranger turned up on Prime yesterday. I assume as Amazon owns MGM, it's the MGM in HD used for the Olive Blu-ray release. The picture quality varies considerably but is mostly good. It needs to viewed in a dark room. Great movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Stranger turned up on Prime yesterday. I assume as Amazon owns MGM, it's the MGM in HD used for the Olive Blu-ray release. The picture quality varies considerably but is mostly good. It needs to viewed in a dark room. Great movie!
The Blu-ray looks better with more detail and less anomalies. The Amazon digital is similar to my iTunes HD digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks