What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Hero (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Hero (Blu-ray)

Directed by Zhang Yimou 

Studio: Miramax
Year: 2002
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 99 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English; Dolby Digital 5.1 Chinese, French, Spanish
Subtitles: SDH, French, Spanish
Region: A-B-C
MSRP: $ 44.99

Release Date: September 15, 2009
Review Date: September 8, 2009

The Film
3.5/5

An outstanding example of a Wu Xia martial arts epic, Hero contains the biographical mythology and the stunning combat sequences filmed in a kind of poetic dreamscape that these kinds of movies do so well. Beautifully directed by Zhang Yimou and filmed against some of the most breathtaking natural backdrops imaginable, Hero will be a banquet for fans of the genre but possibly something of a chore for non-fans despite the cinematic beauty of its majestic construction. For me, the fight sequences go on too long despite their innate balletic athleticism, and some interpersonal relationships occasionally seem a bit alien for western understanding. But there is no denying the power and splendor of the images erase most of the concerns about the movie’s subjective content. If nothing else, Hero is eye candy to an infinite degree.

At the height of China’s Warring States period, the country was divided into seven kingdoms. The Qin king (Chen Dao Ming) was obsessed with conquering all of China and becoming its first Emperor. He had long been the target of assassins throughout the other six states, the most legendary of which are Broken Sword (Tony Leung), Flying Snow (Maggie Cheung), and Sky (Donnie Yen). To anyone who can defeat these three dangerous assassins, the king promised great power, mountains of gold, and a private audience with the king himself. But defeating the killers is a near impossible task. that is until a solitary warrior (Jet Li) arrives at the palace ready to tell his story of defeating the other assassins and looking for a his audience with the king.

The script by Li Feng, Zhang Yimou, and Wang Bin takes almost a Rashomon approach to the storytelling. The nameless warrior tells several versions of his encounters with various of the assassins which occasionally get shot down by the king only to find him offering a new rendition of the story being told. (We do finally get the truth by the end of the film.) But the script merely makes a convenient hanger on which to present the stunning martial arts sequences in a succession of awe-inspiring scenes: the fabled rematch between Jet Li and Donnie Yen (who had fought memorably on screen a decade earlier) takes place partly in black and white, the Jet Li-Tony Leung match occurs over a glassy lake filmed in misty blues, Maggie Cheung faces off with Ziyi Zhang (who plays servant Moon) in an avalanche of fall colored golds and reds that literally take one’s breath away. But director Zhang Yimou has an artist’s eye for arresting use not only of color but also of spectacle: an injured character in red robes sinks to the ground, his robes puddling out from him as if they were his blood (mimicking that famous moment in Hitchcock’s Topaz); the sky blackens with thousands of arrows shot from the king’s aggressive armies; a room is moodily lit and adorned in hues of violet, a visual respite after the stunningly bright reds, greens, and golds of previous scenes. With such visual grandeur and an audio track that constantly weaves together lilting music and the thunder of the vast armies in attack mode, the abrupt shifts in emotions and some of the platitudes (“a warrior’s ultimate act is to lay down his sword”) go down much easier.

The principal actors all do magnificent jobs combining emotional surety with the athleticism necessary to pull off these moves even with the help of stunt people and the special effects wizards of today. Jet Li is remarkably calm and still in repose, his might and menace reserved only for battle. Tony Leung also seems to have many turbulent emotions going on underneath his exterior of calm. Chen Dao Ming’s kingly arrogance is well established with the actor never sinking to overacting to achieve his effects. Both of the primary female stars, Maggie Cheung and Ziyi Zhang, handle the changes in character mood necessitated by the script’s different story scenario quite handily.

Video Quality
4/5

The film’s theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is delivered in 1080p using the AVC codec. Though there are scenes where sharpness isn’t all it could be, the transfer doesn’t routinely disappoint with mostly stunning images of beautifully saturated color and very good detail. Occasionally flesh tones vary (looking almost purplish at one point) and are probably the weakest aspect of the transfer. The film has been divided into 14 chapters.

Audio Quality
4.5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track is available with the English-dubbed track only, so this is the one I listened to. It’s a powerful encode with outstanding spread of ambient sound through the available channels, an excellent structuring of music throughout the soundfield, and wonderfully effective use of deep bass in the LFE channel. When those armies begin thundering in attack, you’ll be well satisfied with the sound design that is being offered here.

Special Features
3/5

All of the bonus featurettes are presented in 480i.

“Close Up of a Fight Scene” goes into detail with three of the film’s most stunning combat sequences: the Jet Li-Donnie Yen fight (two weeks to film), the autumn orchard fight between the two ladies (filmed in an amazing three days), and the lake fight (which took three weeks). This feature runs 9 ¼ minutes.

Hero Defined” is the movie’s EPK featurette, a 24-minute documentary on the film’s preproduction backstory, music scoring, six month shooting schedule, adept stunt work, location shooting, and special effects.

“Inside the Action: A Conversation with Quentin Tarantino and Jet Li” finds the famous director (who served as one of the film’s producers for its American release) talking with the film’s star about his work on this film and also shows clips of other Li movies including both parts of The Legend and Fists of Legend. The feature runs 14 minutes.

Four storyboards in split screen panels with the sequence from the actual film may be watched separately or in one 5-minute grouping.

A promo for the soundtrack CD runs for 39 seconds.

A second disc in the package is the digital copy of the movie. Inside the case is the activation code and instructions for installation on Mac and PC devices.

In Conclusion
3.5/5 (not an average)

Hero comes to Blu-ray looking and sounding great befitting the splendid visual and aural luxuries which the movie has to offer. Fans should be well pleased with the release, and even non-fans might want to give it a rental, just to give the rapturous visuals a look-see.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally, I can live with a lossy original language track for this film *IF* the image transfer does not exhibit the terrible softness and lack of detail of the SD-DVD release, where the video quality was very poor, IMO. Matt, your comments regarding a softness in the image quality have me concerned that this may be a repeat of the errors of the SD-DVD transfer.

Also, is the MSRP of $44.99 correct, or is that a misprint? If it's correct, that price is too steep for me on this release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got the SRP from the press release, but they've been wrong before. The other three martial arts films that are being released next week all carry a $39.99 SRP tag, but they didn't have a digital copy.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Matt. After my initial response, I saw some complaints regarding the very high MSRP at another forum, so I assume that price is indeed accurate.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The high price and and lack of lossless audio on the original soundtrack (not even the DTS track on the DVD!) will keep me away from this. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH.

I got the SRP from the press release, but they've been wrong before. The other three martial arts films that are being released next week all carry a $39.99 SRP tag, but they didn't have a digital copy.
These studios need to get a clue about pricing certain BRD releases if they want to move some units of titles like this one. Thanks for the review, but I'll wait on buying this for the same concerns already expressed by others in this thread.

Crawdaddy

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Thanks for the review. Love the film, but will pass on this disappointing release (ditto for Kitano's ZATOICHI).

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
As for the price, the 4 Blu-Ray set THE ULTIMATE FORCE OF FOUR with all the films being released next week is less than $75 at Amazon. That cuts down the price a little.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Matt, thanks for the review. I was really looking forward to this considering this is one of my favorite films and I couldn't wait to see how it would look on Blu. The high price and the news that only the English dub was accorded the DTS-Master treatment has me very disappointed. I'm also concerned with the comments regarding softness and flesh tones.

Ultimately, I think I'll wait till the price drops on this one, which saddens me considering I'd hoped to be picking it up on release day.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention subtitles are dumbed down as is the 'introduction text' at the beginning of the film. Waiting for the eventual Hong Kong blu-ray... Too bad.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The video is a step up from the DVD, albeit a minor one.

But the audio is a major disappointment. Okay, so they couldn't or wouldn't go lossless on the Mandarin track, fine. But why didn't they bring the DTS 5.1 track over from the DVD? It runs circles around the DD 5.1 track on the Blu-ray (and on the DVD for that matter). I can't listen to the English dub, so that's not an option.

Hmm, I wonder if I can synch up the audio while playing the DVD in my old DVD player with the video from my Blu-ray player? I'll have to give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks