News from May 28th, so apologies for late announcement. There’s a lot of information here, so we’ve decided to publish the full press release from Denon and Sound United…
VISTA, Calif. (May 28, 2020)—Denon®, defining audio excellence since 1910, today announced the industry’s first 8K-ready AV receivers. Building on its renowned line of X-Series AVRs, the Denon AVR-X6700H, AVRX4700H, AVR-X3700H, and AVR-X2700H usher in the next generation of home theater, gaming, and music superiority.
“This is a very big year for Denon. Not only are we introducing the first 8K-ready receivers, but we’re also celebrating our 110th anniversary. This company has been on the forefront of technological advancements throughout its entire existence, and the introduction of 8K is the next exciting chapter in our history of excellence,” said Jake Mendel, product marketing manager for Denon AVR & Hi-Fi components. “8K certainly is an exciting update and the new X-Series AVRs offer a suite of new features that gamers, home theater enthusiasts and music lovers can implement straight away. If you’re serious about upping your 4K game and getting your home theater ready for 8K, these are the best AV receivers money can buy.”
The Standard Bearers
The new Denon X-Series AV receivers deliver the ultimate home theater and gaming experience. With incredible picture quality and immersive audio decoding capabilities, it is easier than ever to replicate the theater experience at home.
The new Denon X-Series AV receivers take advantage of the latest HDMI technologies. Enjoy movies and shows with stunning picture quality thanks to a dedicated “8K” HDMI input enabling 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video passthrough, new HDR format support including HDR10+ and Dynamic HDR, and a new HDMI feature called Quick Media Switching (QMS), which allows a source to instantly switch the resolution or frame rate to eliminate screen blackout. For exceptional color, clarity and contrast the latest X-Series models still support HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) and Dolby Vision, as well as 4:4:4 Pure Color subsampling and BT.2020 pass-through.
Level Up, Gamers
Several new features give gamers an edge, including razor sharp motion clarity with 4K/120Hz pass through and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) to reduce frame tearing and improve overall precision. Get a jump on the competition with Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Quick Frame Transport (QFT), each designed to reduce lag and improve stats. See the enemy before they see you with stunning 8K picture quality.
The Denon X-Series can also upscale existing HD and 4K content to 8K1 so more people can experience the power of 8K resolution.
Stream Movies & TV With Top-of-the-Line Audio Quality
The new Denon X-Series AVRs continue to support eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), which delivers uncompressed and object-based audio from the TV to the receiver via a single HDMI cable. TVs play video directly from TV apps at best available picture quality—either 4K or 8K—while the receiver identifies the best available surround format for decoding.
With eARC and the latest HDMI connectivity up to 8K Ultra HD, the new X-Series AV receivers provide seamless connections with the latest 8K TVs, streaming devices, gaming consoles, and other source players.
Support for virtually all 3D audio formats is available with the Denon AVR-X6700H and AVR-X4700H, including Dolby Atmos®, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X®, DTS Virtual:X™, IMAX® Enhanced and Auro-3D® out-of-box. The AVR-X6700H will also support DTS:X Pro®, which will allow users to enjoy up to 13 channels of DTS:X decoding with speaker configurations such as 7.2.6 or 9.2.4. Listeners can also enjoy the latest in IMAX Enhanced films in 7.2.6 or 9.2.4 speaker configurations thanks to newly adopted 13.2 channel processing capabilities with external amplification. The DTS:X Pro feature will be delivered via firmware update later this year.
The AVR-X6700H supports 11 channels of amplification with 13.2 channel processing, the AVR-X4700H and the AVR-X3700H support up to 9 channels of amplification and 11.2 channel processing. The AVR-X2700H supports up to 7 channels of amplification. Auro-3D® engine is supported by the AVR-X6700H and the AVRX4700H. IMAX Enhanced decoding is supported by both receivers as well as the AVR-X3700H.
Denon now also supports a new “Pre-Amplifier” mode for the AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H and AVR-X6700H, previously only found on Denon’s flagship AVR-X8500H. Pre-Amplifier mode provides a clear signal path and more tolerance in clipping levels by disconnecting internal amplifiers when the receiver is used as an AV processor and all speakers are powered by external amplifiers.
Roon Tested and Hi-Res Playback
Denon X-Series AVRs are Roon Tested certified so users can get more out of their music libraries through the advanced Roon music interface on their PCs and smart devices. Denon Roon Tested AVRs can be found and setup easily by Roon via AirPlay 2 or hardwired into a Roon Core device. Each receiver features a front-panel USB port that offers convenient audio playback of MP3 and high-resolution audio formats (WAV, FLAC, ALAC and DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz files).
Effortless Voice Control
Denon X-Series AVRs work with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Josh.ai, and Apple Siri for effortless voice control. Listeners can use Amazon Alexa for a variety of commands, including switching inputs for different media players, while the Google Assistant and Apple’s Siri can be used to adjust the volume, skip to the next track, and more2. Josh.ai offers custom integrators greater control over voice integration into a variety of existing smart home platforms.
HEOS® Built-In Multiroom Music Listening
With HEOS® Built-in, the X-Series AVRs can stream music wirelessly across compatible HEOS components from a variety of free and premium streaming services, including Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music HD, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and more. Consumers can also enjoy their favorite music in any room of the home wirelessly. Play the same song in every room or select a different song for each connected room via a variety of streaming sources. Add Denon Home speakers to more rooms and control it all with the HEOS app. Apart from HEOS, Apple AirPlay 2 and Bluetooth are also supported. Apple Music streaming is supported through AirPlay 2.
Denon Setup Assistant Does the Work
By visually guiding users through each step in the setup process, Denon’s award-winning Setup Assistant makes it easy to get X-Series AVRs out of the box and making beautiful music quickly. Because every home theater is unique, Denon uses premium room calibration technology from Audyssey that automatically takes precise measurements and optimizes the receiver’s performance, providing the finest 3D audio experience tailored to the acoustic properties of the space. The AVR-X2700H supports Audyssey MultEQ XT while the rest of the lineup supports Audyssey MultEQ XT32, as well as subEQ HT for independent subwoofer calibration for more balanced and controlled bass performance. The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app is available for purchase for those who want more customization options.
New Convenient Audyssey Feature The 2020 X-Series models now support the newly adopted Dual Audyssey Preset function which allows users to store and instantly switch between two Audyssey configurations. For example, users can store both the Audyssey calibration result straight from the receiver and a customized MultEQ curve or frequency range made through the Audyssey MultEQ editor app on the receiver simultaneously, allowing users to easily compare differences and select their preference. Listeners can also perform Audyssey measurements for two different speaker settings, including 2.0 for music listening and 5.1.4 for movie surround.
Designed for Custom Integrators
Custom A/V integration professionals will appreciate the X-Series receivers’ smart features, including support for Audio Select functionality or AirPlay OFF feature so it will not appear on every iOS device throughout the home. To best tailor system functionality for each client, integrators can now assign the same HDMI input source over multiple inputs and choose different audio sources for each input. We call it a “Sports Bar” mode. With multizone simulcasting, users can also play full quality surround in the main zone while simulcasting stereo to a second zone or HEOS enable devices.
Integrators can also provide their clients with improved service efficiency and reduced downtime by using Domotz Pro or OvrC remote system monitoring and management technology to remotely monitor and troubleshoot X-Series AVRs. HDMI Diagnostics Mode continues to be available for custom integrators to troubleshoot HDMI-related issues with connected devise and HDMI cables on site.
Key Features on all 2020 X-Series AVRs
Video and HDMI
• (New) 8K: See unprecedented detail with 8K passthrough and upscaling.
• (New) 4K/120Hz: Experience incredibly smooth motion clarity with 4K/120 frames-per-second passthrough.
• (New) Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
• (New) HDR10+: Make the most out of a HDR10+ compatible TV and content with HDR10+ pass-through capability.
• (New) Dynamic HDR: Optimize the performance of HDR TVs with Dynamic HDR with scene-by-scene or frame-by-frame dynamic metadata.
• (New) Quick Media Switching (QMS): More watching, less waiting. Say goodbye to blank screens using Quick Media Switching (QMS).
• (New) Quick Frame Transport (QFT): Enjoy reduced latency for smoother, tear-free entertainment experience.
• eARC support: Enhanced audio return channel supports latest lossless and 3D audio formats for audio transmission directly from the TV to the AV receiver through the connected HDMI cable.
• Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): Low latency gaming supported on Xbox One and requires supported TV.
• Incredible Color: 4:4:4 Pure Color sub sampling, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), Dynamic HDR, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support for exceptional color, clarity and contrast. • HDCP 2.3: Supports the latest copy protection standard on all HDMI ports.
Audio and Surround Sound
• (New) DTS:X Pro: Available only on the AVR-X6700H, DTS:X Pro enables users to process up to 13 channels.
• Immersive 3D Audio: Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, IMAX Enhanced, and Auro 3D.
• Premium DAC: 32bit AKM DAC allowing for high-resolution audio decoding.
• Hi-Res Audio: Ability to decode up to 24-bit/192-kHz ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks through front panel USB or network connected devices.
Music Streaming and Smart Home
• Roon Tested: Get more out of digital music libraries with searchable, surfable information about artists and songs.
• HEOS® Built-in: Wi-Fi music streaming and multi-room audio technology with compatible components. HEOS supports free and premium Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music HD, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and more.
• AirPlay 2 Built-In: Use AirPlay 2 to stream Apple music wirelessly to the AV receiver, or group with other AirPlay compatible speakers to fill the home with music.
• Effortless Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Apple Siri for hands-free control of wireless music and AVR.
• Bluetooth Enabled: Stream music wirelessly and distribute to Zone 2 or HEOS enabled speakers through the free HEOS app.
• (New) Bluetooth Transmitter: Listen to audio through Bluetooth headphones late at night, or enjoy with a family member or a friend with a hearing impairment. Audio can be heard through speakers and headphones simultaneously.
Setup and Ease of Use
• Room Calibration & Optimized Room Acoustics: Boasts Audyssey’s suite of EQ calibration technologies for simple, accurate set-up and dynamic volume control.
• (New) Dual Audyssey Preset Memory: Allow users to store two Audyssey configurations and switch on the fly for more detailed listening experiences.
• Quick Selects: The front panel and remote control feature four Quick Select buttons that store preferred audio settings for each source.
• Remote apps (iOS/Android): Denon AVR remote for basic AVR’s control and setup. Audyssey MultEQ editor app available for purchase for further customization of room EQ curve. • Remote Monitoring Support: Gives custom integrators the power to monitor and troubleshoot remotely, which drastically reduces customer downtime. Supports Domotz Pro and OvrC.
The latest X-Series AV receivers will be available at authorized Denon retailers at the below dates. For more information on the latest additions to the Denon X-Series receivers, please visit usa.denon.com/us.
• AVR- X2700H ($849) (August 15)
• AVR- X3700H ($1199) (July 15)
• AVR-X4700H ($1699) (June 15)
• AVR-X6700H ($2499) (June 15)
Denon has been defining audio excellence since 1910. It is a trusted world leader in the manufacture of the highest-quality home theater, audio and software products. Denon is recognized internationally for innovative and groundbreaking products and more than a century of technical innovations, including the development and
groundbreaking commercialization of pulse-code modulation (PCM) digital audio. Denon Electronics is owned by Sound United LLC. For more information visit usa.denon.com/us.
About Sound United
Sound United is a division of DEI Holdings with an award-winning portfolio of audio brands that deliver industryleading home theatre and personal audio listening experiences for a wide-range of consumers. Each brand provides an expansive array of audio products that includes high-end and custom installation audio, to mid-tier markets that cover loudspeakers, sound bars, AV receivers, wireless multi-room music systems, Bluetooth® speakers, amplifiers, turntables, and headphones.
Dedicated to artfully reproducing audio for listeners and enthusiasts around the world, Sound United is comprised of Denon®, Marantz®, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Polk BOOM, HEOS®, and Boston Acoustics®. Each brand offers a unique approach to bringing home theatre and music to life. Whether it’s through the legendary heritage of Denon, the classic sound of Polk Audio, the premium performance of Definitive Technology, the highly-sought-after amplification of Marantz, the action-inspired form factors of Polk BOOM, the wireless home audio solutions of HEOS, or the accessible performance of Boston Acoustics, Sound United is your sound — so listen.
To learn more about Sound United and its brands, visit www.soundunited.com.
Some of our content may contain marketing links, which means we will receive a commission for purchases made via those links. In our editorial content, these affiliate links appear automatically, and our editorial teams are not influenced by our affiliate partnerships. We work with several providers (currently Skimlinks and Amazon) to manage our affiliate relationships. You can find out more about their services by visiting their sites.