What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Same with my theater. The Jor-El version is available here.
I enjoyed the white halo formed when Superman broke the sound barrier, but the contrails from his feet made absolutely no sense. Contrails are formed from water vapor in the exhaust of the engines. A flying biological man has no engines. It seems like something that was just thrown in on the theory it would look cool.
Moisture from his exhalation? Super breath? I agree, contrail was using artistic license. Though the air on aircraft wing tips vaporize as it passes over the tips. Same on F1 race cars.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Nelson Au said:
Moisture from his exhalation? Super breath? I agree, contrail was using artistic license. Though the air on aircraft wing tips vaporize as it passes over the tips. Same on F1 race cars.
Super-farts. Totally Super-farts.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by WinstonCely /t/297988/zack-snyders-man-of-steel/330#post_3952286
Super-farts. Totally Super-farts.

So now we know, Superman is responsible for much of the global warming, and to think they blamed the poor cows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Initially, I thought The Perfect Storm was getting an unexpected remake. Then the teaser revealed itself as Man of Steel. Since I'm watching Smallville s10 right now, I'll be ready for a superman movie next year.
I didn't care for Superman Returns. So I'm hoping this is a an original movie, not shackled to past movies (or TV) unnecessarily.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This was a lot better than I expected. I actually prefer a serious Superman. We're definitely out of the Donner-verse now, folks. Yes, the cinematography is a little pretentious, but it looks great. Say what you will about Snyder, but the guy can shoot a movie, and can shoot action. You know it's gonna look good.
A friend of mine wrote in a column that it looks like Terrence Malick was directing a Superman movie. Knowing Snyder has the visual chops to pull off such a thing, and Nolan would be audacious enough to let the film go there, on top of the Comic-Con footage? I'm officially kinda excited.
My biggest problem with Snyder remains the fact that he's too obsessed with making his movies "feel" like comics. The speed-ramping and weirdly-stiff performances in his other films seem to be part of a desire to "bring panels to life," which I think is misbegotten, like he's too hung up on Sin City, or something.
Ironically, since (as far as I know) this film isn't based on a single particular issue or story-arc, this may not actually be a problem this time around.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I actually prefer a serious Superman. We're definitely out of the Donner-verse now, folks.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being more serious than Donner's movies (though I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping that tone either) but the problem could be that they go too serious simply because it worked for Batman.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Well, it is hard to judge anything from the current contents of the trailers, but I will say that the music reminds me of Titanic and - don't they make movies in color anymore? Every movie these days has such muted color. I am getting tired of that - and the fact that every cameraman in Hollywood seems to have misplaced his tripod.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
joshEH said:
A friend of mine wrote in a column that it looks like Terrence Malick was directing a Superman movie. Knowing Snyder has the visual chops to pull off such a thing...
I liked the teaser myself, minus the music which is tied intrinsically with FOTR for me. But let's not say something we can't take back :D. Snyder is an accomplished visualist, but he isn't in Malick's league. And that isn't meant as a knock.
I did appreciate the poetic quality of the shots included, and I'd have preferred to see the trailer scored for The Thin Red Line, as it was at Comic-Con. But Malick keeps a tight lid on those rights I believe. It was only used theatrically for the Pearl Harbor trailer back in 2001.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So does that mean Fellowship of the Ring reminded you of Titanic also???

Well, it is hard to judge anything from the current contents of the trailers, but I will say that the music reminds me of Titanic

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Cameron Yee said:
So does that mean Fellowship of the Ring reminded you of Titanic also??? ;)
Ha! Well, I knew I had heard it before somewhere. That melancholy Irish flute sound just doesn't say Superman to me, but hey it's a new concept.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And Titanic ripped it off from Last of the Mohicans! But since that is the ACTUAL piece of Shore's score from Gandalf's fall, I think of that.
But yes, FOTR reminds me off Titanic. Three hours long, both premiered on December 19th, both made me cry, and both came out of nowhere to get a lot of Oscar noms and cultural attention.
But only one of them had Kate Winslet.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm still interested in talking about this movie although I don't think I'll be watching it. Maybe the full trailer will change my mind....I'm not sure. Had no idea Chris Nolan, and David S. Goyer wrote this.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
joshEH said:
This was a lot better than I expected. I actually prefer a serious Superman. We're definitely out of the Donner-verse now, folks. Yes, the cinematography is a little pretentious, but it looks great. Say what you will about Snyder, but the guy can shoot a movie, and can shoot action. You know it's gonna look good.
A friend of mine wrote in a column that it looks like Terrence Malick was directing a Superman movie. Knowing Snyder has the visual chops to pull off such a thing, and Nolan would be audacious enough to let the film go there, on top of the Comic-Con footage? I'm officially kinda excited.
My biggest problem with Snyder remains the fact that he's too obsessed with making his movies "feel" like comics. The speed-ramping and weirdly-stiff performances in his other films seem to be part of a desire to "bring panels to life," which I think is misbegotten, like he's too hung up on Sin City, or something.
Ironically, since (as far as I know) this film isn't based on a single particular issue or story-arc, this may not actually be a problem this time around.
I like serious up to a point, but I think I prefer "respectful." To me Superman works best played completely straight and with a fair amount of optimism attached to him. He has his struggles, but he also has understanding of what he means to humanity. The trailer gets into this as well, with "They will rise behind you" etc. Of Superman Returns' many faults, to me the biggest was making being Superman into a burden (the second biggest was making Superman a dead-beat dad). He embraces his role and the symbolism behind it. It's the same as last year's Captain America; while I've never read a single CA comic the movie took a character who meant more than the name and embraced the symbol he became as well as the optimism and it was a better movie. Batman is inherently dark and well-suited to a superhero deconstruction, but Supes needs to be bright.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I wonder if they are taking a Superman: Earth One approach with this film? If so, expect Clark to have many professions before he arrives in Metropolis. (In the current comic reboot he's a firefighter.) While he moves through these jobs he's trying to figure out what his purpose in life is, what his place is. He's living among us while concealing his powers for the most part until some event happens that only he can respond to.
Pure speculation. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks