Yes - 35th Anniversary Concert on Soundstage

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

This aired last night in my city.

While I am far from an uber-fan, I do like Yes, and was a bit disappointed. The classic cuts that I like the most; (Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Owner of a Lonely Heart) were done unplugged. And on top of that, they monkeyed with the arrangements a bit.

The songs were still recognizable, and the sonics were pretty good, but hearing certain parts acoustically that are burned into my memory as being played on electric instruments came across as a bit lacking.

When I think "Fragile" era Yes, I expect to hear Chris Squire's Ric bass. And while his playing is instantly identifiable, hearing those licks coming from an acoustic bass just seemed wrong. He did pick up the Ric on several other cuts, and the sound of his playing never fails to amaze me. That is what an electric bass is supposed to sound like.

BGL

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I thought the show was fantastic! I read somewhere that the whole three hour concert will be released as a DVD next year.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I will have to keep an eye out for this.

4. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

Yesworld.com says the DVD will be out in December.

5. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

Since I've heard these songs in so many versions (Roundabout, LDRA, OLH, etc.), ANYTHING that made them different and new would be a refreshing change to me.

I used to love Yes, and I know they're still writing new "music," but ever since the symphonic DVD that came out a few years ago (which sounds great, btw), I just can't stand to listen to anymore Yes. I've heard these songs ENOUGH! Plus, Jon Anderson's rantings about how lovely Love is, and oh by the way, Love is really cool, and if you didn't hear me say it in my Mickey Mouse voice the first few times (or if the Beatles didn't mention it already), all you need is LOVE . . . well, I'd prefer it if you supplied the music--YES--and leave it up to me to love it or not. I just don't like my music tainted with pansey-liberal '60s propaganda. That's just me. I listen to music for MUSIC, and not for an agenda of aging, pudgy "rock" stars who haven't written a good song for 20 years.

An acoustic version? Great! Anything to make these 60-something losers sound fresh and relevant is a welcome change.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I wouldn't say 20 years. I really liked a lot of the stuff on the two Keys to Ascension discs.

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I really liked their last cd Magnification. It's really good. I haven't seen this show yet. Guess I'll have to wait for the dvd [​IMG]

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, I liked what they did acoustically on their last tour. As some have said already, I've already heard most of these songs a million times over, and it was nice to see them breath some new life into these classics. The rather bluesy thing with Roundabout is rather strange, but it does work.

Jason

9. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

The release date for "Songs From Tsongas" is December 7th. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jae_E

Jae_E Agent

According to the Image website, the DVD has now been postponed until 6/21 and, worse yet, it's non-anamorphic![​IMG]