What's new

Yes - 35th Anniversary Concert on Soundstage (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
This aired last night in my city.

While I am far from an uber-fan, I do like Yes, and was a bit disappointed. The classic cuts that I like the most; (Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, Owner of a Lonely Heart) were done unplugged. And on top of that, they monkeyed with the arrangements a bit.

The songs were still recognizable, and the sonics were pretty good, but hearing certain parts acoustically that are burned into my memory as being played on electric instruments came across as a bit lacking.

When I think "Fragile" era Yes, I expect to hear Chris Squire's Ric bass. And while his playing is instantly identifiable, hearing those licks coming from an acoustic bass just seemed wrong. He did pick up the Ric on several other cuts, and the sound of his playing never fails to amaze me. That is what an electric bass is supposed to sound like.

BGL

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I thought the show was fantastic! I read somewhere that the whole three hour concert will be released as a DVD next year.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

Since I've heard these songs in so many versions (Roundabout, LDRA, OLH, etc.), ANYTHING that made them different and new would be a refreshing change to me.

I used to love Yes, and I know they're still writing new "music," but ever since the symphonic DVD that came out a few years ago (which sounds great, btw), I just can't stand to listen to anymore Yes. I've heard these songs ENOUGH! Plus, Jon Anderson's rantings about how lovely Love is, and oh by the way, Love is really cool, and if you didn't hear me say it in my Mickey Mouse voice the first few times (or if the Beatles didn't mention it already), all you need is LOVE . . . well, I'd prefer it if you supplied the music--YES--and leave it up to me to love it or not. I just don't like my music tainted with pansey-liberal '60s propaganda. That's just me. I listen to music for MUSIC, and not for an agenda of aging, pudgy "rock" stars who haven't written a good song for 20 years.

An acoustic version? Great! Anything to make these 60-something losers sound fresh and relevant is a welcome change.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I really liked their last cd Magnification. It's really good. I haven't seen this show yet. Guess I'll have to wait for the dvd :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, I liked what they did acoustically on their last tour. As some have said already, I've already heard most of these songs a million times over, and it was nice to see them breath some new life into these classics. The rather bluesy thing with Roundabout is rather strange, but it does work.

Jason

Jae_E

Agent
According to the Image website, the DVD has now been postponed until 6/21 and, worse yet, it's non-anamorphic!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks