What's new

Will 13 guage OFC wire work for a 110 foot run?? (1 Viewer)

Steve_W

Agent
I recently wired my deck and den area with 13ga OFC Copper wire.
I'm relatively new to home theater/wiring/etc., and I'm not sure if this is thick enough wire for this long of a run..
This document seems to reccomend that 50 feet is the maximum run for copper wire without a significant degradation in performance...
http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm#longerwires
Equipment consists of:
4 x 110 foot runs IXOS 13ga 2 conductor OFC Copper Wire
feeding 2 NHT Ones and 2 Axiom M3Ti
powered by an Onkyo 898 @ 110 watts/channel
Does anyone here have experience with long (greater than 50 feet) runs and if so what did you do to get adequate performance??

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
For 8 ohm amplifier connections and speakers I don't think the degradation will be taht bad but 10 gauge wire would have been better.
If you do find the degradation objectionable and choose to upgrade, you might be able to leave the existing cables in place and use two 13 gauge conductors for the positive to one speaker and two for the negative from the same speaker. Run 10 gauge cables for the remaining two speakers.
Lower impedance speakers will start to show degradation sooner. Higher sound volumes will start to show degradation sooner.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve_W

Agent
Allan,

Thanks for the response...interesting strategy about combining the 2 sets of wires into one...

The speaker I will be driving are 8 ohms. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it works.

Thanks,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks