What's new

Why I detest Simon Cowell or “A wit with dunces” (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
What is the deal with all the crop of “reality shows” where a percent of screen time is given over to debasing, humiliating and tormenting. I find it frightening in a Freudian sort of way that people do and call this entertainment.

It has been said.
“Like a rottten mackerel by moonlight, he shines and stinks.”
I’ll be glad when SC
Decays out of ratings and into the primordial soup.

I don’t like assholes. Like that tree scene in “Night of the Living Dead” A brutal pack of yee haws, shooting zombies on a string.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Couldn't agree more! I especially don't care for individuals who try to emulate him as if that's something to be proud of.

LOL, me neither.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I *detest* the guy.

I like concept of American Idol, I love seing young people trying to make it on stage (takes a A LOT of guts), yet, the humiliating aspect of the show is what keeps me from it.

I've seen people beside themselves after Simons 37th recycled "biting" remark. It's reminiscent of a pack of hyenas cackling and drooling in front of a roting carcass - bathing in the stench and loving it.

Competition is fine. Competition where they go out of their way to humiliate losers is not.

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No offense guys, but I always find it funny when people talk about how much they hate Simon.

I don't watch American Idol, but he's the reason why a lot of people get sucked into the show. People hate him and that's what people love about reality shows.

He's an actor and he's acting like an asshole. It's like when people get really mad at wrestlers. These characters are meant to cause those emotions in people and that's where the success comes from.

I don't actually hate the guy, but I don't watch the show because it's obvious what they're trying to do to get people 'sucked' into it.But that's not the point of the show and I don't understand why people are expecting a nicey-nice show? The whole point of his character is to humiliate people.

I laugh at the contestants who start crying and saying how much they hate Simon. I mean, why would you put all your hope and dreams into a FOX reality show?

Are they too dumb to realize this? Did they actually believe that the show wasn't about humiliating people?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It comes down to this for me, nobody, in any situation, tv show or not, has the right to verbally destroy someone for something as trivial in the grand scheme as singing.

So the person couldn't sing, big deal, there's no need or justification to make the person feel like a worthless piece of shit that should never have been born.

He gets away with it because he says he's been doing this for years in the business and so people think that he's an expert, but so what? A rude jerk is a rude jerk in the end.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
John, a co-worker of mine was on that "Biggest Loser" show and she showed me the contract that they must sign to be on the show. Have you ever seen one??? :eek:

It was the size of a freakin' dictionary!!! Basically the show says that they own you. They own the rights to your image and name (for a certain amount of time), etc. etc.

The contract basically states that they can do anything they want with you.

Everyone must sign one, so it's not anyones fault but the ones who sign the contract. They ask for it and that's the price you have to pay if you want your 15 minutes of fame.Like I said with the contract, they have every right to do it if you sign it. You shouldn't feel bad for anyone who is willing to put themselves through that much humiliation so they can "be on TV".

In fact, that's one of the major issues I have with reality TV. The contestants are so desperate for attention (i.e. being on TV) that they're willing to sign their life away like that. :frowning:

That's why I think it's funny that people get so angry at the show (and Simon). I love the fact that these idiots are crying over Simons comments. It's a tough business and if you can't handle an "actor" like Simon, then you DEFINITELY will not be able to handle the "real" world of show business. ;)

You guys have to stop thinking that the world "Reality" in "Reality Show" actually means reality. It's entertainment plain and simple.

p.s. My co-worker also told me about all the manipulation they did behind the scenes and what you saw on TV wasn't exactly what happens in reality. They edit the show for entertainment purposes.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

You completely lost me there.

Anyway, the concept of people getting suckered into a show because they hate Simon is... bizarre, to say the least. You see, I tend to stay away from people and things I hate, unless I can have the pleasure of seeing them hurt, figuratively or otherwise. Your wrestlers are an example of this. Your hatred of the character is rewarded when he gets the shit beaten out of him. That is the incentive for tuning in, that is the incentive for creating such hateful characters in the first place in that context. This applies to your reality show analogy as well, the hateful characters are contestants, who get it as much as they dish it out - hopefully. And again, that hope is why you suffer the person in the first place. You live for the day when they fall flat on their faces.

This does not apply to Simon because his position on the show in untouchable - he is a judge. He is in a position of near absolute power, comfortably removed from any risk. So I cannot possibly see what reward someone who hates him could get from watching him tear contestants apart with impunity (feeble come backs from stunned contestant do not count).

This leads me to conclude that your proposition of people tuning in because they hate Simon is completely wrong.

People who hate Simon tune-in because their negative feelings about him are overwhelemed by the more positive aspects of the show. Basically, the other stuff is worth sitting through his antics.

The rest, is either indifferent to him, or ACTUALLY like him. That simple really.

--
H

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd like him better if his sarcastic comments were actually funny. But I agree with Mark. That's the show. That's the success. That's the hook.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
People may not exactly tune in just because he's an asshole, they tune in because the show is successful. And one of the main successes of a show is by having a great protagonist. Without Simon's attitude, the show would have fallen into obscurity.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't hate Cowell as much as i find him annoying. i've never watched AI except for maybe 1 or 2 "first audition" episodes when all the crazies are out.

i've never understood the appeal for the show but then i don't understand the appeal of alot of things.

as for the contestants, i have about as much sympathy for them as i do for people who go on Jerry Springer.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

But again I say, so what? The man visiously attacks people because, like Holadem said, he knows that he can and there will be no retribution leveled upon him because those that he verbally attacks are powerless.

I don't care that it's a show, the man is a bully and a brute and there is NO justification for it, none, these people don't deserve to be talked to in that manner, and I also find it difficult to believe that the contestants will encounter that kind of behaviour from others in the business on a regular enough basis to warrant being "toughened up" by Simon and his tierrany.

This notion of "if your not tough enough to take it..." is nothing more than a badge to hide behind for someone like Simon to get his kicks by being abusive and making others feel bad about themselves.

I've encountered some of those in my life, some i've even encountered on certain internet discussion boards believe it or not. I can guarantee you, that if there were no Simon on the show, that the contestants that he was so hard on would still be able to go out and get a contract on their own without the 'benifit" of his brand of "help".

Sorry if i'm coming off a little intense, but as Mary said in the opening post, I don't like assholes and I will never defend them in any capacity.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I don't see it as humiliating at all. Simon is the only one telling the truth on that show. He tells them if they did good or bad. You make it sound like all he does is rip people to shreds, which is just not true. Ask any contestant and they will tell you that Simon is the only judge whose opinion they care about because they know he will tell exactly how he thought they did. Yeah, he is harsh during the "tryouts" but my god, some of those people really do suck. IMO, you guys have an issue with somebody being honest, even if its not the nicest thing to say. Simon gives glowing reviews too, but you have to deserve it. Maybe some of you who don't watch the show dislike more how Simon is promoted then how he really is. Sorry, but this thread reminds me of people who want to get rid of school grading because it hurts the dumb kids feelings.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I don't get this mentality, so just because the person sings badly they should be told that they are the lowest form of life on Earth? :confused: I've heard clips of him saying pretty much that very thing. Also, why is the most extreme reaction or opinion automatically considered the truth? I've heard some people who he said was bad but Paula and the other dude said were good...who's right? Simon, of course, because he's the more brutal of the three? That makes no sense to me, too often people take someones opinion as fact and it's even worse when the one giving the opinion thinks that it should be taken that way...as a fact.

And even when a contestant is undoubtably aweful, they're are better ways to tell someone that singing may not be the best thing for them. Yeah, he tells people that they've done well, but it still doesn't make up for his behaviour the rest of the time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Oh please. Confusing lack of tact and rudeness with honesty is a sign of immaturity. Children behave that way. Adults generally know better. Knowing to show regard for other people's feelings even while criticising them is a basic social skill.

It's a show, Simon is doing his act (I have no idea who he is in reality), and it sells. That's unfortunate, but that's fine, I don't watch the show. However, witnessing people proudly emulating this idotic behaviour in real life is just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

--
H

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I can tell by your posts that you probably don't watch the show.

I think that is fairly obvious.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I've sat through a few too many painful episodes a couple of years ago by virtue of a girlfriend who was a big fan. So yes, I have watched the show, no, I don't watch the show.

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, to be fair I haven't watched it, however I also haven't been living under the popular culture rock for the past few years, either, i've seen and heard plenty to form my opinion on Simon.

My main point is this, professionals make mistakes all the time, which you've stated, Jed, so that's cool. But what get's under my skin is when someone thinks that just because they work in a particular field that they are a God in that field and their word should be taken as absolute gospal.

I think i've made my point, I don't like Simon and I don't care for how he does things and how he treats people, that's all I have to say.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. Everybody has a right to their opinion. Unfortunately most people today hear 30 second sound bites and believe they are fit to make an educated opinion on anything. I think the majority of you are making an opinion of Simon Cowell by what the media has force fed you and not on actual experience. Before I started watching Idol I just assumed the attraction was watching Simon belittle people, but after watching a couple seasons that is not the truth, at least IMO.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Who said he was the God of the music industry? He's on a TV show!!!

John, you are getting angry because that's how you're interpreting it. He is not being a 'dick' it terms of the entire music industry, he is being a 'dick/brutally honest' in terms on the show. It's a show and that's his role.

You gotta start taking the reality out of reality shows.

and p.s. If you want to talk about the music industry, well, Simon is probably a pussy cat compared to some of the people you'll come acorss. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks