What's new

Why does my Panny lock into 16x9 mode on ALL HDTV programs? (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I just got HDTV today, from Cox Cable in RI. The hdtv box upconverts all HD signals to 1080i so no 720p for me.

But my problem is with 4x3 HDTV programs. Why can't I stretch out the picture to avoid burn in? Is there anything I can do to get around this?

I have a Panny 53" wx53
Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
4:3 programs on HD channels are by definition not HDTV. But they are NTSC upconverted to HDTV. Since they are upconverted to 1080i and your Panny locks in full for 1080i, you are out of luck. I know the Toshibas (H82, H83) models allow you to stretch HD content. I have an H80 Toshiba which does lock in full and my solution is to watch 4:3 content on the corresponding standard def channel, where I can stretch to my heart's delight. The picture is not as good as the upconvert, but it's no worse than any other standard def stuff. Of course you have to enable the 4:3 override in the box menu, but this is simple. To sum up, I only watch native HDTV on the HD channels, 4:3 stuff on the standard channels.

Figures, I move out of RI 2 months ago and Cox finally gets HD service. What channels are they offering??

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

As far as the TV is concerned, the material is all 1080i. It does not differentiate between true and upconverted. The signal is the same.

didn't Toshiba drop the variable modes on 1080i signals this year?

Regards

Ike

Screenwriter
The black bars on the sides of upconverted material wouldn't be any more likely to burn in than the black bars on 2.35:1 material, would they?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Only more likely to burn in since you might watch a lot of 4:3 material relative to other formats. On a CRT RPTV set you'd want to only do this in moderation.

possible workarounds:
- see if cable box has setup menu to use 480p / 480i out instead. (e.g. On Motorola 5100 turn off then hit menu)
- use S-video, composite, or RF Output from the cable box instead, if provided.
- split cable, watch on analog station when HD isn't being broadcast.

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff, we have ESPN, Discovery, HBO and Showtime in HD right now.

Supposed to get the local channels by year's end.

Thanks again for the help!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The only TVs (that I know of) to ever allow for a stretch of a 1080i signal were the 'H82/'HDX82 Toshiba sets. The current '83 models have removed this feature.

The next generation HD cable boxes might be able to strech the image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks