What program do you guys use to play DVDs?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Perry, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Having just bought a new Dell Dimension 8400, I decided to try the free trial version of Power DVD 6.0. I've used Power DVD 4 for years and figured the new 6.0 would be a nice upgrade. The computer came with version 5.3, which seemed to be stripped down and had some glitches that required a patch.

Anyway, after I installed 6.0, I lost all sound when playing DVDs. Even if I use Windows Media player, no sound. All other sounds, including CD playback, are fine. I uninstalled 6.0 and put back 5.3, and the sound came back.

My sound card is the Soundblaster Live 24-bit. At this point I'll probably just reinstall my old 4.0 version. Anyone having any issues with Power DVD 6.0 or are there other programs you recommend?

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi I tried using Power DVD Demo it would not work on my system, so I was looking around for a good DVD player and found out I had to purchase one.

I had found out that Nvidia has a DVD player and I looked into my Disk that came with the vid card and I had a copy of the DVD program on the disk, so I loaded it up and ran it. It was more thatn I expected from a free DVD Player It supported Dolby Digital Pro Logic III. an othere I would think.

I had bought the Vid Card some months back never knew I had the DVD player until I upgraded my speakers, sound card.

To make a long story short the Nvidia DVD player is not bad I am happy with it.I would recommend it!! [​IMG]

Sorry forgot the link:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nvdvd.html

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I've had great results with ZoomPlayer Pro and the FFDshow add-in as described in this article:

Zoom + FFDshow

Upscaling to 1280x720 looks very much like high-def.